Premier League - Bunch of girls

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 02 Jan 2011, 19:23

mustahfa14 wrote:ratherton stop acting like such a hard ass.

Just because it was dangerous and slippery doesnt mean shops and restaraunts would close? but like scotty boy said...when you have 40+ thousand fans coming to a game...with the bad roads and weather it would be mayhem.

soccer is a sport...which was created for entertainment. Thats how they make money. They dont really care about if the players want to play or not. It comes down to the fans safety and their entertainment...or money
I'm not blaming the players for calling of the games as they have no say in the matter.

Lets take Stamford Bridge as an example. The Kings Road is very close to the stadium and plenty of people not going to football matches managed to safely get themselves to the shops. Thousands of people were in central London and managed to get to bars, restaurants, museums etc but for some reason, football stadia with playable pitches couldn't manage to get a game on.

Its ridiculous that businesses (thats what these clubs are) can't open when places with far less financial resources can.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 04 Jan 2011, 00:01

Kings road is probably 1,000 times as many square meters of available space as a football stadium is. And There is not 40,000 people in kings road at any given time. I don't understand your argument.

If you can get thousands of people into a teashop in kings road then maybe you have a point.

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 04 Jan 2011, 00:24

Government with health and safety bollocks end of.
i was made to ignite

AMacK7

Post by AMacK7 » 26 Jan 2011, 18:26

I don't understand this too slippery for cars argument at all. People in the USA and Canada go to sporting events in the winter all the time, for example an outdoor hockey games are played typically once a year, football games are played every weekend, the average high in Green Bay for the month of January is -4 and an average low of -13. Now they cope with the field just fine and the fans fill a 70,000 seat stadium. These 70,000 people manage to get to the stadium every week in bad conditions. I agree with ratherton here, there is no need to cancel games because of weather (except thunderstorms and lightning).

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 26 Jan 2011, 19:43

AMacK7 wrote:I don't understand this too slippery for cars argument at all. People in the USA and Canada go to sporting events in the winter all the time, for example an outdoor hockey games are played typically once a year, football games are played every weekend, the average high in Green Bay for the month of January is -4 and an average low of -13. Now they cope with the field just fine and the fans fill a 70,000 seat stadium. These 70,000 people manage to get to the stadium every week in bad conditions. I agree with ratherton here, there is no need to cancel games because of weather (except thunderstorms and lightning).
Being from Canada I can attest, but I don't think England is very used to the kind of snow they received. They certainly don't have dedicated snowclearing forces like those areas of North America that expect a lot of snow have, and maybe some don't even have snow tires, or are not at all accustomed to the conditions.

Don't forget, they did call a Philadelphia Eagles game back in the reg. season due to a biting blizzard. And Philadelphia residents are certainly no strangers to snow. It was just the harshness of the particular blizzard.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

AMacK7

Post by AMacK7 » 29 Jan 2011, 19:55

The unaccustomed argument makes sense but still, I'm not a fan of calling off games. I wonder what'll happen in Qatar? If you can't deal with snow you can't deal with heatstroke!

Back on topic, does anyone know how often games are called off in other leagues in Europe (Not Spain or Italy as they typically have nicer weather) compared to the EPL? That would be interesting to compare I think..