The Red Devils thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 28 Nov 2010, 22:31

I think rafael will be world class. He's like maicon but excellent at defending too. He handled bale expertly bale only got past him maybe twice that whole game which is pretty great. He's got pace, heart, and he's getting stronger too. To top it all off he can cross that's a good right back to me.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 29 Nov 2010, 09:07

nick117 wrote:I think rafael will be world class. He's like maicon but excellent at defending too. He handled bale expertly bale only got past him maybe twice that whole game which is pretty great. He's got pace, heart, and he's getting stronger too. To top it all off he can cross that's a good right back to me.
Couldn't have put it any better myself. Terrific young player.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 26 Dec 2010, 21:06

Just a quick quesiton, how can Man Utd have played today, Sunday december 26th, and have another game on tuesday? Just one rest day? That is bolony in my opinion....

after my games, I'm sore as hel a few days later, imagine pro's... ? that is a great way to get injured too...

On the rafael thing, I think you guys are elevating him... Technically he's okay, defensively he's pretty good, but never as near as good as maicon..I also think rafael is fast, and what not, but his touch is lousy.... Maicon can take on players down his wing with complete ease, Rafael is light years away from having his, Dani Alves, Marcelo's and many other good full backs' control....... I haven't seen him beat a man, he's like a full-back version of park, he lacks the quality and finesse, so he makes it up with the energy and sacrifice, stamina, running all day with lots effort etc.

on another note, good match by man utd today, could have been 4-0 with ease..

I love Berbatovv... hehe... did the second goal count for him?

Rooney is getting closer and closer to scoring.....

and LOL at the powsers who where saying before the season started that man utd wasn't gonna be a big side this season or what not....some people saying that united was done, that if they didn't spend big money they weren't gonna be any better than 3rd place..... same peope that have been saying it every year, and united always ends up making good tournaments.....

I feel that this was the time to play Chelsea though, they where weak and disorganized and lacking a few players.. the game got posponed and maybe when we play them again they'll be stronger and in better form..

When will Valencia return?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 27 Dec 2010, 04:31

i read valencia could be back sometime in february but i doubt that. his injury was supposedly similar to alan smith's a few seasons ago and smith was out for like a year.
i don't see the problem with 2 games in 3 days. teams have big enough squads that if some players are still too tired than there is another player in his position who will be fresh. (fletcher and nani for example)

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 Dec 2010, 21:05

Rafael is only 20 though. Maicon and dani alves are in their primes now and their 29 and 27 respectively. They both really started getting noticed around 2007. Neither of those guys even made the 2006 WC squad for Brazil and they were 25 and 23, so I think it's fair to say Rafael has plenty of time to become a world class right back, and personally, I think he'll be one if he keeps getting games.

To go off of what Panchester said, I think it's funny that people weren't giving United much of a chance before the season and now, we're undefeated and looking to build on the lead tomorrow. As long as Ferguson is at Old Trafford, you can't count out United.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 01 Feb 2011, 14:34

A recent poll by the readers of Inside United magazine, and by ManUtd.com, has voted Ryan Giggs as the club's greatest ever player.

The top ten in full:

1) Giggs
2) Cantona
3) Best
4) Charlton
5) Ronaldo
6) Scholes
7) Beckham
8 ) Keane
9) Schmeichel
10) Rooney

What do you make of this?

Personally - bollocks. Ronaldo and Rooney do not deserve to be in the top ten ahead of Law and Cole, and Beckham should not be ahead of Keane.

My top ten would look like this -

1) Scholes
2) Giggs
3) Charlton
4) Best
5) Law
6) Cantona
7) Keane
8 ) Cole
9) Ronaldo
10) Beckham
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 03 Feb 2011, 22:36

I agree, I don't think "Manchester United legend" when I think of c.ronaldo. When I think of him I think of . . . well c.ronaldo. Rooney has a chance, depending what he does with the rest of his career. As of now, my list would be:
1. Giggs
2. Charlton
3. Best
4. Cantona
5. Scholes
6. Keane
7. Law
8. Schmeichel
9. Neville
10. Beckham

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 12 Feb 2011, 17:33

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 12 Feb 2011, 18:10

Such a beautiful goal. One of the best game winning goals I can remember.
What is it now, 4 goals in 6 games? Hopefully he keeps this up.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 13 Feb 2011, 01:20

You would have Gary Neville in your top ten of united legends above Teddy Sheringham and Solskjaer? What about York and Andy Cole? Dennis Violet? Duncan Edwards?(not so well known due to only playing a few years before disaster.)

How about Van Nistelrooy?

I don't know if Rooney will ever have the quality to be a "united legend" I know he scored a wonder goal today, but he doesn't do it every game, or even most games. We're yet to see a full season from Rooney yet when he's at his best, which we have seen from the likes of Ronaldinho in the past, Messi, Kaka, Ronaldo.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 13 Feb 2011, 02:03

Yes. All great players for sure, but for the likes of Sheringham and Yorke, United was more of a stint for them, rather than a place where they made their names.
Yorke already had himself a long career with Aston Villa while Sheringham had done the same with Tottenham and Millwall.
I probably could have have put Cole in there, but if I would have, he wouldn't have taken Neville's place. His body of work is amazing. His career at United spanned 3 decades. In an era where players go in and out, that's a great achievement.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 27 Feb 2011, 23:50

in-depth tour of Carrington, thought this was pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHo_km_ ... re=related

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Feb 2011, 00:01

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You were quite clearly creeping on the internet for videos of the Countdown girl. :P

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 28 Feb 2011, 00:04

lol never heard of her before, but now...

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 09 May 2011, 01:02

19th title! Well done by united to get the 2-1 victory
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."