The Red Devils thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
soccer11
Admin

The Red Devils thread

Post by soccer11 » 28 Nov 2010, 02:50

I was surprised we didn't have a Manchester United thread on here.

It seems like yet again, once winter comes, United are hitting their stride. The 7-1 demolition of Blackburn today was a fun one to watch for a United fan. Nani proved himself as a top 3 winger today imo.
Where does everyone see this United team going from here?

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 28 Nov 2010, 04:04

nowhere i want tottenham to win it all they deserve it!

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 28 Nov 2010, 04:30

They really don't deserve it but thats another debate. I still wouldn't put nani in the top 3 he's good but i want to see him do more vs tougher opposition he may be top 3 he just hasn't convinced me yet. Right now i can see an EPL win with Chelsea slowing down united speeding up and arsenal well just being arsenal. If united wanted to win the champions league berbatov has to stay doing well he's so reliant on his mood that you hope someone didn't call him ugly 1 hour before game time because he's likely to do nothing. I really hope these goals keep him going following him is like a roller coaster and it's getting silly.

Rooney also needs a goal or two for himself not for the team. He did well and put in a typical performance working at both ends and setting up a goal though good for him. I hope to see more of obertan we seem to be lacking a good LM (giggs aside) who isn't just a workhorse even though park did play well today i don't think his attacking will be as effective vs a higher team. Other than that united has one of the best defenses again Evra and Rafael are amazing outside backs great in helping the attack especially since Rafael seems to have a good cross on him.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 28 Nov 2010, 10:39

collin wrote:nowhere i want tottenham to win it all they deserve it!
Get out.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 28 Nov 2010, 12:30

Ward9310 wrote:
collin wrote:nowhere i want tottenham to win it all they deserve it!
Get out.
Haha :D

The most positive thing for United so far has been Berbatov finally earning his wage

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 28 Nov 2010, 13:40

I'm pleased with Nani's consistency this season. He has always been a talent but he never seems capable of doing something every week. Personally I doubt he would have started as many games this season if Valencia wasn't injured. I would agree with whoever said that Nani needs to prove himself against tough opposition more regularly. He had decent games against Chelsea, Bayern Munich and Arsenal last season but he was disappointing against Milan. Can't remember who it was but the left-back for Milan was 149 years older than him. Nani was eventually substituted for Valencia who promptly set up a goal for Rooney.

Besides Berbatov's five-goal haul I was glad to see Anderson get some game time. Like Nani he is obviously a very good player but he needs to work at consistency and getting a good run in the team.

And Rooney looked better than he did against Rangers, his first touch was much improved.

The current United team is capable of winning any tournament they enter. What will determine the future of the club is how they make the transition from the inevitable departures of Ferguson, Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Van der Sar. Ferguson may have a few years left in him but the players will move on within the next two years I reckon. Hopefully they will take up coaching roles or something so that they can continue to mentor the younger players. Currently I'm not totally convinced yet by Gibson, Obertan, Smalling, Macheda and the da Silva twins. But I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Evans and Hernandez are very good.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Nov 2010, 15:06

Looking forward to seeing how good the new Danish keeper is.

Great Dane 2.0

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 28 Nov 2010, 15:33

Chelsea just drawn 1-1 with Newcastle. United top of the league by 2 points now!

So much for Chelsea walking the title.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 28 Nov 2010, 18:09

I think Rafael will turn into a good right back someday. He just needs to get more games.
I've always liked Anderson and it'd be great if he could play like he did yesterday all the time, but realistically, he probably won't. I'm hopeful that he can step up because it would solve a lot of questions in midfield (like who will take Scholes' place) because then United wouldn't have to spend more money.

Am I the only one who thinks United need to move on from Gibson?

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Nov 2010, 18:16

Nice to see Noel Gallagher fixing the next round of the FA cup :D

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 28 Nov 2010, 20:21

soccer11 wrote:I think Rafael will turn into a good right back someday. He just needs to get more games.
I think he's already a really good right back already, he's improved drastically from last season, let's not forget that he's only 20. Our best right back IMO.
I've always liked Anderson and it'd be great if he could play like he did yesterday all the time,
He has the potential, now just needs the consistency.
Am I the only one who thinks United need to move on from Gibson?
God yes, he's awful. All he offers is 1 in every 10 long shots going in.

Also: WE GOT THE SCOUSE BIN DIPPERS IN THE CUP!!

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 28 Nov 2010, 21:33

I think he's our best right back as well, but that's not saying much.

Do you think he has the potential to turn into a world class right back one day?

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 28 Nov 2010, 21:37

Ward9310 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:I think Rafael will turn into a good right back someday. He just needs to get more games.
I think he's already a really good right back already, he's improved drastically from last season, let's not forget that he's only 20. Our best right back IMO.
I think I would rather have Wesley for the big games.

But I do agree, he has shown an improvement from last season. Whether he will grow into a really world-class right-back is hard to tell. He would have to improve a lot over the next few seasons in my book to reach the same level as, say, Sergio Ramos, Maicon or Dani Alves. Same goes for Fabio.

Liverpool in the Cup will be interesting. Hopefully if both teams keep going the way they have been recently (i.e. United winning without playing particularly well - Blackburn aside - and Liverpool losing without playing particularly well) then United should qualify. It's at Old Trafford after all. Getting Liverpool in the Third Round should mean that it will be a good time to play them.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Nov 2010, 21:41

He's never going to be a great defender theres no question about that.

I think he will improve but I dont think he has the capability to be as good as Alves, Miacon, Cole or Evra who are world class attacking fullbacks.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 28 Nov 2010, 21:49

soccer11 wrote:I think he's our best right back as well, but that's not saying much.

Do you think he has the potential to turn into a world class right back one day?
Honestly, I think he does, I think he's an absolutely fantastic young player and will only get better. The defending side of his game has improved drastically of late, which is pleasing to see. He doesn't dive into as many challenges as he used to now.