Manchester City thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
ImpossibleIsNothing6

Manchester City thread

Post by ImpossibleIsNothing6 » 20 Jul 2010, 09:51

self explanitory really....

Looks like they may progress into a team to beat perhaps, it may be proved that money CAN buy you happiness, atleast for 'City fans.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 20 Jul 2010, 20:58

You can never buy happiness, Robinho at Man City is an example of that tbh.

Crometheis
New User

The Next Real Madrid?

Post by Crometheis » 03 Jan 2011, 16:51

Is it me, or does Man City feel that the Madrid formula (ie: spend spend spend, without regard to unity or compatability) is the way to win. I will give Madrid the nod though, bringing in the Special one has definately made them a much better team. He seems to be able to bring out the best in them and gets them to work together as a unit..usually.
But in Man City its a different story, they dont have a coach on the same level as Mourinho, nor are their players geling. Short of Tevez running his butt off and doing most of the work, the rest of the team doenst seem that cohesive. And we constantly hear about all the discontent in the change room there. I think they need some hard love, sit those overpaid spoiled brats down and tell them how its gonna be, they are professionals and need to act like ones. Play your role on the team, but aside the ego, and do whats needed to get to the next level. A team cannot be made up of solely "star" players, u need role players and guys not afraid to get stuck in and do the dirty work.
I just dont see how spending more money on "star" players is the answer, Man City has more then enough talent alrdy, they need to learn how to utilize it now.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Jan 2011, 18:21

I agree, I think that's why talent like Hart and Kompany and Johnson are still around, trying to get some semblance of unity. Whether that works or not remains to be seen. You're right about the spending, though. Works for some. I dislike City majorly, though. :P

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 04 Jan 2011, 02:37

I think its clear to see that the Manchester City squad have gelled and if you dont believe that then you are falling for how the media overplay it.

They have an established 1st choice team and are second in the league ahead of the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

look at the team that won against Blackpool.

Joe hart

Kolarov
Boateng
Lescott
Kompany

Gareth Barry
Adam Johnson
Yaya Toure
De Jong

David Silva
Carlos Tevez

With a bench of...

Shay given
Micah Richards
James Milner
Zabaleta
Jo
Wright Phillips
Patrick Vieira

Apart from Tevez (who is on fire anyway) had his spat the other week what else amongst the other 17 players suggests unrest in that team?

The only players unsettled are the big egos that are not playing. Adebayor, Balotelli which would be the same in any side.

City will probably sign a few players in January that could potentially strengthen them further. If they were to sign well (Torres perhaps) they could challenge for the league.

Either way they will be favourites for the league next season and one of my tips for the Champions league.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 04 Jan 2011, 03:40

Maybe it's just me but I don't rate Barry very high in the scheme of things. I don't quite get their obsession with DM's either(even linked with another DM over the window), but to each its own. I'm a Netherlands fan and can't stand De Jong, but he's almost the only holding DM they have with Yaya thinking he's a striker half the time. It'd say Balotelli isn't starting a ton of games but he's getting the occasional start and usually has a large impact when called upon. I personally would take Milner over Barry most days, and maybe even consider Zabaleta and Boateng easily interchangeable.

I really thought it would take a year or so before they would get their act together but I'm afraid they are really finding their groove lately. I guess they better have a good showing before the financial fair play rules wipe the slates clean.

Crometheis
New User

Post by Crometheis » 04 Jan 2011, 15:40

ScottyBoy wrote:I think its clear to see that the Manchester City squad have gelled and if you dont believe that then you are falling for how the media overplay it.

They have an established 1st choice team and are second in the league ahead of the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

look at the team that won against Blackpool.

Joe hart

Kolarov
Boateng
Lescott
Kompany

Gareth Barry
Adam Johnson
Yaya Toure
De Jong

David Silva
Carlos Tevez

With a bench of...

Shay given
Micah Richards
James Milner
Zabaleta
Jo
Wright Phillips
Patrick Vieira

Apart from Tevez (who is on fire anyway) had his spat the other week what else amongst the other 17 players suggests unrest in that team?

The only players unsettled are the big egos that are not playing. Adebayor, Balotelli which would be the same in any side.

City will probably sign a few players in January that could potentially strengthen them further. If they were to sign well (Torres perhaps) they could challenge for the league.

Either way they will be favourites for the league next season and one of my tips for the Champions league.
My meaning of lack of unity wasnt fully directed to the lockeroom type, its more of a lack of team style play ie: too many cooks in kitchen. But yes, i do agree they have established their starting 11, and its a solid lineup, but I dont think they have faith and trust in each other yet to take it to the next level, but we shall see.
And as far as saying they are 2nd in the league, lets compare apples to apples, they have a 2 game played lead on Man U and 1 game lead on Arsenal and Chelsea. Realistcally I would call them 3rd in the league which is nothing to sneeze to at. Its been a rapid rise for both them and Tottenham.
I see them as a top 4 finisher, maybe round of 8 in champions league, but I dont see them topping either competition, but maybe they shall prove me wrong, all the best to them :).

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 04 Jan 2011, 19:02

May I just post that I think Tevez is playing at a ridiculous level? Like a level i've never seen him play in any other team... I think he will clearly be the top scorer of the premier league when this season ends, and boy is that something for an Argentine to be top scorer of the english league.... I seen his games lately, vs Blackpool for example, he didn't score, but he was beating men all game, taking shots, beat the keeper and unluckily slipped..... True warrior, plays 150% every game, and has lots of class and elegance.... One of my favorite players....
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 25 Jul 2011, 02:41

the fu** is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9VwVeCgcRs so glad mancini pulled him this guys just a disgrace to football. makes me respect mancini a bit more.

KoNJa04
Veteran Member

Post by KoNJa04 » 25 Jul 2011, 03:27

I guess some kids never change...
ESPN even wrote a whole article!

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/blog/_ ... lost-cause

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 25 Jul 2011, 12:43

He is perhaps the biggest prick and waste of talent in world football. Nothing irks me more personally, than a guy with so many gifts and no ambition and, what's worse, lets down his club or country without bothering to take the blame.

All roads lead to Rome.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 25 Jul 2011, 15:06

Rome_Leader wrote:He is perhaps the biggest prick and waste of talent in world football. Nothing irks me more personally, than a guy with so many gifts and no ambition and, what's worse, lets down his club or country without bothering to take the blame.
If he scored, I would have been like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib__wLn6Klo

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 25 Jul 2011, 17:01

The worst song ever? It's sure down there. :P

All roads lead to Rome.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 25 Jul 2011, 19:20

Agreed, but whenever anything nasty happens, we usually just say SWAG OD SWAG OD over and over and over....SWAG OD SWAG OD SWAG OD

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 25 Jul 2011, 23:43

The Man. City way? :p I take a page out of Omar's book from The Wire. Indeeedd.

Just saw the Balotelli miss on 'Plays of the Week' here. Sad that he still gets more press for it then most wondergoals in under-divisions. :p

All roads lead to Rome.