The Gunners Thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 07 Mar 2011, 06:56

Yeah, I think we lost that game because we only played 20 minutes efficiently. Our starting formation was quite sloppy and we lacked so much creativity through the middle. When we are missing Song/RvP/Cesc/Walcott, it really shows. When you are depending on Rosicky for anything....you know you're riddled with injuries.

The 2 calls were very unfortunate because they were(or shouldn't have been) subjective calls. He clearly wasn't offside on his goal, but that seems to happen quite often lately, even to our determent or benefit. I think the PK call was just so incorrect that I wasn't questioning the PK...but more what color the card should be when the PK would be called. It was a clear push in the back and that's called 90% of the time. Even with that call, Arshavin should have buried an early cross but was unlucky to hit his shot directly at the keeper near post. He had quite a bit of goal to shoot at but that's just how it is. Chamakh's header was unlucky on the bar as well, but we were quite lucky to escape that late flurry of scrambled saves+post being hit.

It seems no one wants to grab the league by the horns. It's like United and Arsenal playing hot potato every weekend to see if Citeh/Chelski/Sp*rs can close the gap. Winning this weekend could have allowed us to control our own destiny. Sitting within 1 point could have allowed us to win our game with United to actually take over top spot, but now we must hope for them to trip against Chelsea at OT + we must win at the Emirates to have a shot. They still have the GD advantage (United's 33 vs. Arsenal's 30) so we can't even hope to win out if they would do the same unless that GD would turn in our favor. I'm sure we'll both trip here or there on the way out but it would have been nice to know we control our fate.

Remaining fixtures:

on 60 points in 29 games
MANUTD – Bolton (H), WHU (A), Fulham (H), Newcastle (A), Everton (H), Arsenal (A), Chelsea (H), Blackburn (A), Blackpool (H)

on 57 points in 28 games
ARSENAL – WBA (A), Blackburn (H), Blackpool (A), Liverpool (H), Tottenham (A), Bolton (A), ManUtd (H), Stoke (A), AstonVilla (H), Fulham (A)

on 53 points in 29 games
MANCITY – Chelsea (A), Sunderland (H), Liverpool (A), Tottenham (H), Blackburn (A), WHU (H), Everton (A), Stoke (H), Bolton (A)

on 48 points in 27 games
CHELSEA – Blackpool (A), ManCity (H), Stoke (A), Wigan (H), WBA(A), Brum (H), WHU (H), Tottenham (H), ManUtd (A), Newcastle (H), Everton (A)

arsenal1

Post by arsenal1 » 11 Mar 2011, 17:15

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 11 Mar 2011, 18:15

Nice vid. I'll always remember the 2nd goal from Arshavin in the Liverpool game, the Cesc goal against Spurs when he dribbles through half the team on the turnover, and Nasri's goal against Porto. The Bergkamp goal of course, but that goes without saying.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 11 Mar 2011, 22:51

Yea I like that vid too. Although I wish they had included the goals from the miracle comeback against Newcastle when Arsenal overtook Nottingham Forest for the longest unbeaten streak in the Premier League. That's probably my favorite game of all time.
Click it

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 12 Mar 2011, 20:26

Snap 2-0 and out of the fa cup.... What was it this time, Van Persie's red card, or Bendtner's chance at the end? :lol:

Joking... Good first half totally outplayed us, but for some reason I'm calm and confident when Manchester plays Arsenal, we just happen to win 60% of the time, every time, for a long while..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 12 Mar 2011, 20:53

What was it this time, Van Persie's red card, or Bendtner's chance at the end?
^ :mrgreen:

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 12 Mar 2011, 23:04

panchester07 wrote:Snap 2-0 and out of the fa cup.... What was it this time, Van Persie's red card, or Bendtner's chance at the end? :lol:

Joking... Good first half totally outplayed us, but for some reason I'm calm and confident when Manchester plays Arsenal, we just happen to win 60% of the time, every time, for a long while..
Oh....so you're a Barca AND United fan huh? That's fine if you are but I've just never understood someone that divides loyalities...even to a different team in a different league. Who do you pull for if they meet in the CL? I follow teams outside of the EPL, but still couldn't imagine referring to them as "we". Everyone loves a winner, I guess.

We were just out-played today. When is saw 7 defenders in United's squad, I knew that SAF was still thinking about Tuesday against Liverpool. They absorb everything we pushed forward and hit first on the counter...and we don't win ugly games from behind. That's the theme of this season. If we don't jump out in front, the best we can manage is a draw. No leadership and very little heart...it's quite sad to watch some days. You'd think this was a exhibition match with conviction our guys played with today. I think mentally, they're exhausted. It was a crushing defeat against BC in the CC...crushing defeat against Barca, and our confidence seems to be the lowest right now.

Every time Rooney touched the ball, he was dangerous. We were walking around the pitch when we were down 2-0 like we were up 4-0. I'm placing more blame on Wenger every poor performance because he has shown his inability to make timely & meaningful changes. Every time we punched today, United punched back harder and more clinical. I'm just glad the league isn't dependent upon just ONE game because that's seems to be what we can't handle(BC + United today). Our injuries are really starting to worry me, since they progressively get worse. JD is most likely out for the rest of the season....faurk.

As Lord Alfred Tennyson once said "tis better to have vied for the quadruple and lost than have never vied for the quadruple at all"....or something like that.

Juice

Post by Juice » 12 Mar 2011, 23:46

Everyone loves a winner

Whould have pressed on the like-button if this was facebook..

ott: Arsenal doesnt have what it takes to win anything, and they wont if they keep relying on talent only, they need experience and continuity.

They also need to check their training schedule and their training ground. There is not one player in that whole (sh*tty) squad who can make it through one season without getting injured, not even the keeper. Unbelivable..

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 12 Mar 2011, 23:51

Juice wrote:
Everyone loves a winner

Whould have pressed on the like-button if this was facebook..

ott: Arsenal doesnt have what it takes to win anything, and they wont if they keep relying on talent only, they need experience and continuity.

They also need to check their training schedule and their training ground. There is not one player in that whole (sh*tty) squad who can make it through one season without getting injured, not even the keeper. Unbelivable..
I know, it's quite frustrating. Verms, WS, LF, Song, Walcott, Ramsey, Diaby, Cesc, etc. Injuries this year are going to drive me to drinking. You'd think we were out there playing a fukin marbles as often as injuries happen. If it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 13 Mar 2011, 00:25

Oh....so you're a Barca AND United fan huh? That's fine if you are but I've just never understood someone that divides loyalities...even to a different team in a different league. Who do you pull for if they meet in the CL? I follow teams outside of the EPL, but still couldn't imagine referring to them as "we". Everyone loves a winner, I guess.
What, dude get off the acids.. When ever have you seen me refer to Barcelona as "we" or "us"? I like Barcelona and I know they are the best team in the world, and probably this team is going to be the best in history but whenever have I called myself a barcelona supporter or fan?

Have you seen my nickname, "panchester07" pan --- for panama, and chester for Manchester, 07 cause Ronaldo was my favorite player when I made this account, before him it was Beckham, and many others... Its not Barcelona11, or Barcafan22, so I don't know where you concluded I support the blaugrana's.

So I'm going to ask you kindly to stop assuming stuff I never posted, and putting words in my mouth, or fingers in this case, and concentrate on the main topic, which is football.. Bless..

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 13 Mar 2011, 00:35

panchester07 wrote:
What, dude get off the acids.. When ever have you seen me refer to Barcelona as "we" or "us"? I like Barcelona and I know they are the best team in the world, and probably this team is going to be the best in history but whenever have I called myself a barcelona supporter or fan?

Have you seen my nickname, "panchester07" pan --- for panama, and chester for Manchester, 07 cause Ronaldo was my favorite player when I made this account, before him it was Beckham, and many others... Its not Barcelona11, or Barcafan22, so I don't know where you concluded I support the blaugrana's.

So I'm going to ask you kindly to stop assuming stuff I never posted, and putting words in my mouth, or fingers in this case, and concentrate on the main topic, which is football.. Bless..
calm down bro....you just run around talking about Barcelona like you support them as well in the Round of 16 thread. I just made an assumption based on all the Barca talk(inb4 don't make assumptions). It was more of an inquiry..hence the question mark at the end. You can just answer the question and move on. You've answered the question and now I'm moving on.

To not be a supporter, you sure were all over their nuts in the Round of 16 thread. Jus sayin.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 13 Mar 2011, 00:40

To not be a supporter, you sure were all over their nuts in the Round of 16 thread. Jus sayin.
What can I say bro, I like good football, I have a pulse, I'm a United fan, hence an arsenal rival, and I like Barcelona, plus Lio is the best in the world.. Not the mention the matches and the leg where exciting as fu** and I was all hyped up posting sh*t on here ... I did want Barca to go through, and I knew they where gonna..

You wanting Liverpool to beat Man Utd last weekend doesn't make you a Liverpool supporter does it?

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 13 Mar 2011, 00:47

panchester07 wrote:
What can I say bro, I like good football, I have a pulse, I'm a United fan, hence an arsenal rival, and I like Barcelona, plus Lio is the best in the world.. Not the mention the matches and the leg where exciting as fu** and I was all hyped up posting sh*t on here ... I did want Barca to go through, and I knew they where gonna..

You wanting Liverpool to beat Man Utd doesn't make you a Liverpool supporter does it?

Too quick to judge
Yeah...but I'm not chatting you up against why I think Liverpool will beat United, see the area of confusion now from what I've read?

Sure, I understand you're argument. Hell, I've been a Wolves fan for 90 minutes this year for the United game. It's cool now, just wanted to see if that was the case or not. I guess it was a rhetorical question since it didn't apply to you.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 13 Mar 2011, 00:57

Yeah in the round of 16 thread you where talking to me about Barca and you where like "you guys this, you guys that" and I kept telling you I'm not a Barca fan, but you might have missed it... Its all good sometimes I read to fast too..

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 13 Mar 2011, 01:15

Rofl Panchester hates Barca as far as I know. Barcelona pretty much stole a European Cup from the team he supports, what ever made you think he supported them :lol:

He does however support football, and even Real Madrid fans will accept Barcelona play brilliant football. Plus most of his comments in that thread were about how Arsenal fans were whining like bitches over nothing, hence the whole "What was it this time, Van Persie's red card, or Bendtner's chance at the end?" joke.

As for refering to a team as "we" or "us", it depends on the person? I refer to luton town as "us", I refer to England as "us", I refer to ireland as "us" I refer to donegal "us". I refer to any team i've taken sides with as "us" to be honest, my uncle took me to a Chelsea game at stamford bridge, and I hate Chelsea, but i was still calling the opposition "them" and the Chelsea team as "we" when talking to my uncle because he supports them.

Even if panch did support them both though, why does it matter, and why is it any of your business? It's truly pathetic when people accuse people of been glory hunters because it is just a sign of jealousy, some people really do have legitimate reasons to be strung between two clubs, like me been half Irish but English nationality...