The Gunners Thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 27 Feb 2011, 18:33

Wanderer wrote:hahaha I gotta say..love arsenal defending..thats why you lik to watch arsenal..you noe they're gonna bottle it in some hilarious way..

Cant wait for them against Barca..
Indeed, we were due a hefty mistake. I just wish we could have waited until we were up 4-0 or some sht. No Cesc = No creativity. We struggled in the midfield all day, which made those turnovers so costly. Zigic is almost unmarkable if the cross is to his head. Even if we could have pulled it back in some way after that horrible mistake, we didn't deserve it. I have a feeling the board will force Wenger to use the allotted 50M to go out and get a first choice CB and GK. If Cesc leaves, hopefully that money will find an adequate replacement for the time being. I truly can't see him stay now since it's looking more of any silver this year. If we can't win the next 3 games(LO, Sunderland, Barcelona), no silver. You heard it here first.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 27 Feb 2011, 19:09

HAHAHAHA!! fu** YOU ARSENAL!!! tw**s!!!

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 27 Feb 2011, 23:56

That was the stupidest ending to a game I have ever seen. How the hell does something like this happen after Arsenal were peppering the keeper continuously for 20 minutes and in total control. That's an absolutely disgraceful way to lose any match, let alone one of such immense significance.
Click it

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Feb 2011, 00:08

I was very happy to see Birmingham lift the cup. it should give them a much needed boost to stay up this season.

As for Arsenal everything about that football club was dissapointing this afternoon.

The only player that showed any real desire was Jack Wilshere but he is young and as good as he is doesnt have the ability to win a game on his own yet.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 01 Mar 2011, 07:09

I'm interested to see how Arsenal respond to this debacle on Wednesday. The upcoming fixtures could work in their favor or against them.

It could be a nice rebound game Wednesday in the fa cup tie, followed by a league match home against Sunderland, but then Arsenal could potentially be knocked out of the UCL by Barca and out of the fa cup at United next week. And there's always the possibility that they come out terribly flat against Orient and get knocked out of the fa cup then and there (although I seriously doubt that will happen with Arsenal playing at home).

In 2 weeks time I think it will be a success for Arsenal if they still have two competitions to play for, but it's very possible they'll only have the league title to attempt to pursue.

If they do manage to make it through these games with 2 or even 3 trophies to fight for it will certainly help them put the extremely disappointing loss to Birmingham behind them.
Click it

WatchKingKennyPlay
Sophomore Member

Post by WatchKingKennyPlay » 01 Mar 2011, 07:29

Ahh what entertaining beautiful game. Great to see Brum win. Was hoping theyd win so badly.

But Arsenal i want you to pip Man U to the title and smash Barca for us just to make me happy and Liverpool happy :)

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 01 Mar 2011, 07:47

Well lets go Chelsea tomorrow! Good thing Webb isn't refereeing.
Click it

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 01 Mar 2011, 08:44

As a partial utd fan i'm scared of this ref. Chelsea's record with him reffing is 16w 1 d 0L sounds weird.

Juice

Post by Juice » 01 Mar 2011, 12:32

It would have been funny if A.Cole decided to tweet about Szczesny's mistake

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 01 Mar 2011, 18:59

Juice wrote:It would have been funny if A.Cole decided to tweet about Szczesny's mistake
True, but then he'd have to put down the air rifle. He's still a true gunner at heart. I'm just hoping Chelsea can stick to their guns in a little bit against United. We really need them to snipe some points off to gain some traction against United. Chelsea need to keep their sights set on just staying in the top 4, as the league title appears to be a long shot now. Then if Arsenal can get a good run of games+Chelsea playing United twice, Arsenal could be #1 with a bullet. Today's game could be a real shootout.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 01 Mar 2011, 22:01

nick117 wrote:As a partial utd fan i'm scared of this ref. Chelsea's record with him reffing is 16w 1 d 0L sounds weird.
Was that a pk? I realize there was a contact with Smalling's foot, but i doubt it was any more of a pk than Nani's shot in the first half that was blocked by Terry's forearm..... :roll: and if he saw that "penalty", how did he not see Luiz's knee in Rooney's thigh for his second yellow? - brilliant match from the brazilian by the way -

This is gonna upset some, but I don't think Carrick, O'shea, Scholes, Giggs are adequate for these high level games, or for the premier league... The last 2 are man utd legends by I think its time that they follow Gary Neville's example... Sure, they will score a good goal or make a brilliant play every 5 matches, but are you gonna put them to play against Essien, Ramires, Torres, Anelka, etc, fit world class players in there prime? They can only do so much man..... With Park and Valencia it would have been different...

Man Utd doesn't have to feel to gutted, it was a doubtfull pk that made the difference, and it was in Stamford Bridge..... In old trafford with park, valencia, rio, fit it will be another story.. Still leaders by 1 point and Arsenal loose Van Persie and Walcott, so we're still in great shape.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 02 Mar 2011, 17:27

Scholes is still in my opinion a fantastic midfielder, but that is only because his role requires no speed and fairly average stamina. Giggs on the other hand has really started to decline sharpish and it won't do his career justice if he keeps on going like this.

I've never rated O Shea he was always sh*t. I don't think park is exactly high calibre either. Carrick however is normally consistent, and I thought he was one of united's best players yesterday. He must be one of the most un-sung players around, because the job he does is so basic but he does it very well. To me he is a Shittier English version of Sergio Busquets.

To make this on topic, I think Arsenal have a good chance of catching united now, especially as they have a string of tough games including liverpool, and overall their form is off.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 02 Mar 2011, 19:08

panchester07 wrote:Was that a pk? I realize there was a contact with Smalling's foot, but i doubt it was any more of a pk than Nani's shot in the first half that was blocked by Terry's forearm....
It's certainly not the type of penalty that you like to see but I don't think the referee had any choice but to give it. It's just one of those plays where the defender really didn't do much wrong but because there was clearly some contact and the player went down it had to be called a penalty.

With all the injuries United have suffered to their defense it is a big blow to have Vidic suspended for the match at Anfield. Another bad result for the mancs there and Arsenal have got a great shot at overtaking them.
Click it

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 02 Mar 2011, 19:54

For some reason Arsenal doesn't scare me, if it was Chelsea breathing on our necks and putting pressure on us I would be more worried, but Arsenal worries me not .. They'll probably loose some points to other teams along the way, and they loose a few players due to injuries.... We still have the Arsenal vs Man Utd match coming up in a while, and everybody knows Arsenal has been Man Utd's biatch for the last years...

We can beat Liverpool, and it will all be alright, they are 6th in England, we have a great team we just need to play well and not make mistakes, they just lost to west ham 3-1 didn't they? We can pull the away win.
Last edited by panchester07 on 02 Mar 2011, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 02 Mar 2011, 20:00

Might by a bit premature but what are your thoughts on the Champions league game next week?

I'm praying Barca pull it out of the bag, as a side note does anyone know when Puyol is expected back?