The Gunners Thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
styale18

Post by styale18 » 28 Dec 2010, 15:12

van persie does have a decent right foot if you remember the goal against chelsea and liverpool in 08-09. im glad wenger started RvP bc JT and Ivanovic arent very fast imo. im just surprised tht the gunners went up 3-0

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 02 Jan 2011, 02:51

A much needed win today. We needed at least 10-12 points over the next 5 games(starting at the Wigan game) so this does help since they've managed to steal points against most at the top. I have no idea if receiving my Nasri jersey yesterday had anything to do with this form, but I'd like to think so haha

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 23 Feb 2011, 20:25

damn, you gunners snapped up Jon Toral from Barca's youth system. If this fellow turns out to be another Cesc then I am gonna regard Wenger as a footballing genius. Apparently this Toral kid was considered to be a potential crack of the future, which is a 10x better way of saying star player. :lol:

seriously though, wenger's gotta stop doing this because clearly, we are just gonna wave our cash and make arrogant claims that Toral belongs to Barcelona if he turns out to be a great player at Arsenal.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 23 Feb 2011, 22:19

shahensha wrote:damn, you gunners snapped up Jon Toral from Barca's youth system. If this fellow turns out to be another Cesc then I am gonna regard Wenger as a footballing genius. Apparently this Toral kid was considered to be a potential crack of the future, which is a 10x better way of saying star player. :lol:

seriously though, wenger's gotta stop doing this because clearly, we are just gonna wave our cash and make arrogant claims that Toral belongs to Barcelona if he turns out to be a great player at Arsenal.
Well, it's hard for Barcelona to keep certain youth through the system with the lack of turnover. If Barcelona truly wanted to hold to him...they don't have to sell him. I would find it funny how Barcelona could even claim robbery on this guy. Wenger simply buys at a deal; either where prices are not inflated(France, Asia, etc.) or where there is far more supply that available spots to fill(Barcelona would be a good example). He's known for offering 18-19 year olds playing time so why wouldn't a player jump at that if their home club didn't seem to be too attached to them? Cesc, Ramsey, Wilshere all have proven that being young isn't some negative in the Arsenal system.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 23 Feb 2011, 23:07

TommyGun wrote:
shahensha wrote:damn, you gunners snapped up Jon Toral from Barca's youth system. If this fellow turns out to be another Cesc then I am gonna regard Wenger as a footballing genius. Apparently this Toral kid was considered to be a potential crack of the future, which is a 10x better way of saying star player. :lol:

Well, it's hard for Barcelona to keep certain youth through the system with the lack of turnover. If Barcelona truly wanted to hold to him...they don't have to sell him. I would find it funny how Barcelona could even claim robbery on this guy. Wenger simply buys at a deal; either where prices are not inflated(France, Asia, etc.) or where there is far more supply that available spots to fill(Barcelona would be a good example). He's known for offering 18-19 year olds playing time so why wouldn't a player jump at that if their home club didn't seem to be too attached to them? Cesc, Ramsey, Wilshere all have proven that being young isn't some negative in the Arsenal system.
Nah bro, its me who is jokingly claiming robbery. Barcelona is just sad that the "toral and sergi limited company" is breaking apart.

Ofcourse a player would take that deal. Spain doesnt offer contracts to 16 year olds. I am not really cursing anyone, just giving gunners a heads up in case 6-7 years from now, Sergi ends up saying outlandish things like "toral and i played together...blah blah.....he is blue and maroon at heart....blah blah....pfft, who cares what arsenal say, he is definitely coming back" :)

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 24 Feb 2011, 00:05

shahensha wrote:
TommyGun wrote:

Nah bro, its me who is jokingly claiming robbery. Barcelona is just sad that the "toral and sergi limited company" is breaking apart.

Ofcourse a player would take that deal. Spain doesnt offer contracts to 16 year olds. I am not really cursing anyone, just giving gunners a heads up in case 6-7 years from now, Sergi ends up saying outlandish things like "toral and i played together...blah blah.....he is blue and maroon at heart....blah blah....pfft, who cares what arsenal say, he is definitely coming back" :)
Let's hope not. I can only handle one "It's in his DNA" saga every ten years. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sneak some clause in though, given how progressive Barcelona are on contracts these days. You guys wanted Helb and Henry....but I think we'll keep Cesc haha.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 24 Feb 2011, 00:14

haha I wouldnt mind if you keep him. As they say in me motherland "the one who nurtures deserves more honour than the one who gives birth". Even if he were to leave in a few years, I hope he gives back to the gunners by winning you a few trophies.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 24 Feb 2011, 15:56

sorry gunners, it was bound to happen. i do feel that this is very hypocritical considering the method of our approach in getting Cesc

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... al?cc=3888

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 24 Feb 2011, 16:29

Exactly. They play the victim when it suits them but also play the aggressor when it suits their needs. There's a clear double-standard and I'm glad most people see that. All we had to do is ask the kid and the deal was done(completely immoral, I know). You didn't see us tapping up the kid with numerous media reports about how he's perfect for our system and blah blah blah. Any club that has a excellent youth system experiences this, that's what Ajax/Porto/Benfica has survived on through the years. They cultivate talent that usually ends up off to greener pastures, while they pocket the money to produce more youth talent at a fraction of the cost. Wenger just likes to buy on potential on the cheap, way before you're subjected to some type of bidding war to artificially raise your cost. Risky business but does manage to pay off given enough time. I'd like to see him target specific club needs before buying more "small, fast and technical" wingers. It would be nice to snag Hazard(Lille) or Sahko(Lyon) but the price would have to be perfect for him...which means way below every other big club's buying power.

Rosell, pls go with your immoral claims.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 24 Feb 2011, 19:45

Shahensha, you're my favorite Barcelona fan :D

Just a little thought about the Nurture vs birth thing. It might be a little controversial but I'd be willing to say that if Fabregas hadn't moved to Arsenal and instead stayed with Barcelona he wouldn't be anywhere near the player he is today. He's been a consistent starter for 1st team play since the age of 17. If he had stayed with Barcelona I think he might have made it into the first team at the age of 19 or 20 and he'd get about 20 starts a season now, backing up Xavi and Iniesta.

I read the Rosell story the other day and I had to chuckle a little bit. It's hypocrisy like this that makes me not like Barcelona. Except Shahensha. You're still cool.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 24 Feb 2011, 20:26

The Barcelona 1st team players that signed fairly young from other youth systems:

Busquets(17)
Iniesta(12)
Jeffern(16)
Messi(13)
Pinto(19)
Pedro(17)
Puyol(17)
Sanchez(18 )
Valdes(13)

To the Fabregas issue, he stated that he wanted to play for Arsenal and he was "one of many" at Barcelona. I wish that all the players/board would address the media with the class that Pep possesses. I want to believe that some of these quotes/stories are all an issue of translation as mis-guided as they seem.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 24 Feb 2011, 22:39

Thanks S11, I try to combine Pep's noble attitude and Pique's friendly goofing around, except when it comes to madrid cause really...fu** madrid :lol:

You do have a point though. It explains why Cesc has already matured so much as a footballer and he is only turning 24. Even Pique, who was in the same age group went to Manchester United in his teens. He also spent some time in spain on loan to Zaragoza when Gabriel Milito was actually considered a pro footballer lol.

If it werent for the red devils, he wouldnt have been as good as he is today. I mean he combines his technique with physical play very effectively and I dont worry about crosses at all when Pique and Puyol are playing.

Messi on the other hand got regular playing time since he was 17 because Rijkaard trusted in his abilities and he really had no young attackers to challenge for his spot.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 25 Feb 2011, 05:32

Completely agree about Pique. He got the necessary game play that made him into a game ready player once he was bought back by Barcelona. He showed enough promise that Barcelona was more than happy to buy him back and put him right into the first team.
So all you Barcelona and Spain fans . . . you can thank Manchester United for your successes :D

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 27 Feb 2011, 18:13

That's the last straw. I demand Wenger's cell phone number so I can text him what substitutes to make from now on. Rosicky? Rosicky? He shouldn't have been on the pitch after halftime. He looked slow(mentally and physically) on the ball and can't finish when we absolutely need it. You take off the only two players that have a eye for goal(other than Nasri) for Bendtner and Chamakh. I don't mind the players coming on but fuk, the players coming off changed our ability to threaten. Wenger should have taken off Rosicky for Bendtner and moved Nasri to the middle, and throw B52 on the wing. Rosicky provided no creativity and I would have even preferred Wilshere at the advanced role while having someone like Diaby+Song holding.

Even with that, we were lucky to still be in the game thanks for our defending. We looked very jittery(maybe it was Wembly or just the hype of the trophy drought, who knows) but we just didn't sync well today. Our tempo was far too tame to break them down defensively and we did too little, too late. Any better team would have truly punished us today.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 27 Feb 2011, 18:20

hahaha I gotta say..love arsenal defending..thats why you lik to watch arsenal..you noe they're gonna bottle it in some hilarious way..

Cant wait for them against Barca..