The Gunners Thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 03 Oct 2010, 05:02

You know, it's funny that not many people have brought this up. I forgot where I read it(maybe ArseBlog) but maybe our goalkeeping training department might have some of the blame for our lack of commanding keepers. I think it would be ridiculous to think that Almunia, Fab, and Mannone all lack the commanding presence in the box independently. I'm behind who ever we have back there but options are nice with the schedule and form that seems to escape them at times.

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 09 Oct 2010, 00:26

TommyGun wrote:You know, it's funny that not many people have brought this up. I forgot where I read it(maybe ArseBlog) but maybe our goalkeeping training department might have some of the blame for our lack of commanding keepers. I think it would be ridiculous to think that Almunia, Fab, and Mannone all lack the commanding presence in the box independently. I'm behind who ever we have back there but options are nice with the schedule and form that seems to escape them at times.
Yeah I heard that too. It makes a lot of sense. I miss mad Jens Lehman so much at this point. As inconsistent and crazy as he was, he made people afraid to go for the same ball as him.

Almunia and Fabianski get targeted in those exact situations
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 09 Oct 2010, 13:05

I heard Andy Gray say that the cause of Arsenals keeper problems isn't actually the keeper, but the lack of solid defence in front of him. I think thats utter bollocks to be honest. The keeper is suppose to be commanding the defenders, so if anything, you could blame the keeper for that as well.

Secondly, most of the mistakes are unavoidable by the defence, shots from 30+ yards shouldn't be troubling any keeper unless it is something special.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 29 Oct 2010, 06:15

Well, It's hard to get overly excited over a couple performances but Fabianski appears to have more confidence and composure with the last couple of starts. I thought he looks like a guy that wants the No. 1 spot and there's not many reasons to deny him at this point. We'll see how Saturday goes but I've just about quit cheering like an ass when he catches a cross in the box....haha

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Oct 2010, 13:43

I heard that lack of posting on the Goalkeeper part of the EF forums was 90% of the reason Arsenals goalkeepers performed badly, as they had no where to take their questions in their time of need.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 29 Oct 2010, 16:32

klc123 wrote:I heard that lack of posting on the Goalkeeper part of the EF forums was 90% of the reason Arsenals goalkeepers performed badly, as they had no where to take their questions in their time of need.
Makes perfect sense.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 29 Oct 2010, 19:24

klc123 wrote:I heard that lack of posting on the Goalkeeper part of the EF forums was 90% of the reason Arsenals goalkeepers performed badly, as they had no where to take their questions in their time of need.
The truth in this statement knows no bounds.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 30 Oct 2010, 22:00

'Hi guys, my name is Lukas Fabia... I mean Rufas Handimanski. What do you do if you're a keeper and you pick up a back pass?"

To be fair though both of our Polish keepers have done well lately. Definately well enough for Almunias mysterious elbow injury to linger quite a while longer.

And wowee, Song is now Songinho to me. I normally get mad if he makes an attackng run, but he keeps on scoring!
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 30 Oct 2010, 22:30

bsc wrote:'Hi guys, my name is Lukas Fabia... I mean Rufas Handimanski. What do you do if you're a keeper and you pick up a back pass?"

To be fair though both of our Polish keepers have done well lately. Definately well enough for Almunias mysterious elbow injury to linger quite a while longer.

And wowee, Song is now Songinho to me. I normally get mad if he makes an attackng run, but he keeps on scoring!
I know what you mean. It's hard to criticize either one of the keeper's performances as of late. Hopefully that can just continue on through CL play as well. Song's pushing forward kills me at times. He often gets the ball stuck at his feet through traffic and he will often remind you why he's supposed to be a DM. I think it's great he scored today(what a timely goal for sure) but I just don't want him getting too carried away with his runs, forcing Cesc and other CM's back to cover for him.....or worse, no one covering.

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 20 Nov 2010, 15:10

Todays game showed why Arsenal aren't serious title contenders. As much faith as I have in them, I expected them to make a statement today. Unlucky to concede the free kick that led to the penalty, but other than that, almost a total collapse in the second half.

3 Losses at home already this season. I know United hasn't been on their Championship year form but they have yet to lose this season. I expect it to go down to United v Chelsea for the title. Arsenal just don't have that instinct to kill off games that Chelsea of last year, or United of 07-09 had.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 20 Nov 2010, 18:30

I was disappointed with Arsenal today. After Phil Neville admitted that Arsenal weren't as easy to 'rough up' as they used to be I had begun to think this might be a good year for them.

Of course it still might be but you simply cannot turn leads into losses like they did today. I know that United have thrown away leads this season but at least they have got points on the board anyway.

Lacking killer instinct has long been Arsenal's problem. Unlike United or Chelsea, Arsenal apparently need to be 3 goals up to be certain of a win. Remember Wigan last year? Until they can learn either to kill games off or cut out complacency when they are in a comfortable position, I can't see them mounting a sustained title challenge.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 20 Nov 2010, 23:02

I miss the presence of a clinical finisher in the team. Henry was such a loss

The whole team was based around defending leads after his goals

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

Post by soccer_after_death » 21 Nov 2010, 03:23

Gunners thread? I don't recall this thread =o

Supporter for oh man, 8 years now? Ever since I first started watching, haha.

Couldn't believe that loss today :/

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 06 Dec 2010, 19:20

What did you guys think about Nasri's goals against Fulham this weekend?
I was jumping our of my seat when I saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75_43bPXs2Q

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 06 Dec 2010, 20:01

soccer11 wrote:What did you guys think about Nasri's goals against Fulham this weekend?
I was jumping our of my seat when I saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75_43bPXs2Q
They were alright. Good composure, I dont think either of them were anywhere as good as his goal against Porto last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DAfRIratU8

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.