The Gunners Thread

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
adiman6

The Gunners Thread

Post by adiman6 » 16 Dec 2009, 23:36

this is dedicated for any fans of my rival team!!! :evil: posts all arsenal related posts here :arrow:
Shhh

udinese20

Post by udinese20 » 16 Dec 2009, 23:50

Not a great result against Burnley :(
IMO we NEED to get at least two players during the transfer window. The media has already said Arsenal have asked about VDV but tbh we have too many players who can play where he plays so he'll just find himself out in the cold again like he is at Real Madrid. Dzeko would be awesome but Wenger would never spend that much. Actually, I dont care who we buy.. as long as we buy someone!

adiman6

Post by adiman6 » 17 Dec 2009, 02:23

hmm dzeko alright but i don't think he will do the job for you's. anyway how old is Dzeko these days. coz remember Wenger has his youth policy and the lot. get rid of kuyt, he is past his best, buy david silva, but he probs won't pay that much A' Wenger.
Shhh

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 17 Dec 2009, 03:36

umm guys there's allready an arsenal thread. I'm not sure if a mod wants to post a link and lock the thread or possibley just let this one live.

my thoughts are that really we do need a striker. Carlton Cole would be ideal, even though he's injured. but I'd be happy to take someone like Dzeko or Kalou. really there are a lot of good strikers and we could use a physical one.

but I felt a huge problem during the burnley game was left back. Nasri or arshavin need someone with speed who gives 100%. silvestre while only making one or two blatant errors, really impeded the build up play on the left. there were a few times he was wide open and it was obvios the team didn't trust him enough to pass him the ball. Gibbs or Clichy need to get back soon.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

udinese20

Post by udinese20 » 18 Dec 2009, 12:55

I think the other thread was initially meant to criticise Arsenal fans about how they treated Eboue so i guess this one is a general discussion.

To adiman6: Since when did Kuyt play for Arsenal? Also, people put too much emphasis on Wenger's 'Youth Policy'. Arshavin and Thomas Vermaelen, Arsenal's most recent purchases, aren't that young at all. When Wenger buys a youth player he doesn't expect them to be a regular first team member for years to come and plays them in the Academy. Dzeko would be perfect because he isn't some old timer and he is very tall.

To bsc: Yeh, Arsenal have strongly been linked to Carlton Cole but im not sure he's the perfect player for Arsenal, although he would be the most likely purchase because he isn't cup tied in regards to Champions League and he is really tall.. he is someone Arsenal would buy in a crisis, because if everyone was fit then they wouldn't even consider him. And yeh i agree about Silvestre.. as soon as i turned the game on i saw him do a really great taclke but he is too old and losing pace.. It was just extremely unlucky that 3 of our left backs- Clichy, Gibbs and Traore, all got injured around the same time.

adiman6

Post by adiman6 » 19 Dec 2009, 06:30

udinese20 wrote:I think the other thread was initially meant to criticise Arsenal fans about how they treated Eboue so i guess this one is a general discussion.

To adiman6: Since when did Kuyt play for Arsenal? Also, people put too much emphasis on Wenger's 'Youth Policy'. Arshavin and Thomas Vermaelen, Arsenal's most recent purchases, aren't that young at all. When Wenger buys a youth player he doesn't expect them to be a regular first team member for years to come and plays them in the Academy. Dzeko would be perfect because he isn't some old timer and he is very tall.

To bsc: Yeh, Arsenal have strongly been linked to Carlton Cole but im not sure he's the perfect player for Arsenal, although he would be the most likely purchase because he isn't cup tied in regards to Champions League and he is really tall.. he is someone Arsenal would buy in a crisis, because if everyone was fit then they wouldn't even consider him. And yeh i agree about Silvestre.. as soon as i turned the game on i saw him do a really great taclke but he is too old and losing pace.. It was just extremely unlucky that 3 of our left backs- Clichy, Gibbs and Traore, all got injured around the same time.
ohh sh*t why did i right kuyt he plays for liverpool, its because i have been going through the red thread and this thread alot lately.
Shhh

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 15 Apr 2010, 05:08

So RVP made his return from injury today against tottenham. He played extremely well, forcing many brilliant saves from gomes.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 15 Apr 2010, 05:31

I agree.. Van Persie played awesome.. Obviusly not at his peak but we have to remember he's been out for 6 months more less.. I think he played well, and I fu**ing love his left footed cut style.. That cut the ball and shoot is like my favorite style of play..

Anyway, the gunners, and Man U are suffering a similar effect.. "motivation" loss.. After the two key losses for Man U (chelsea and munchen) we slowly started loosing are vital signs and basically gave up.. Also the moral dip after the losses are extreme..... Also both teams have lossed fiath in themselves..

I guess they kind of have a "next season.. attitude"

Though as a fan I'm still "optimist" cause thats what fans must do.. But the blackburn tie for us was retared, and we should have won 4-0 if we were playing like we should

Anyway, I believe both teams have a "we'll get them next season" attitude..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 15 Apr 2010, 10:28

I think if Van Persie and Fabregas didn't get injured this season Arsenal would have won the league and would have been strong contenders to beat Barcelona in the champions league.

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 15 Apr 2010, 21:59

My thoughts on the north london derby:
Arsenal had no passion, no iintensity. It's like the ddn't know who they were playing, what to expect. Redknap sure got his players to play with passion. A game as emotional as this, you don't just play your normal style. You have to GENUINELY CARE. In my mind, there was only one player for arsenal that had heart on that field, and turned it into a stunning performance. Sol Campbell. He handled the booing, played to his strengths, and most importantly played like it was a goddamn derby match. He won almost every 50 50, outsprinted players much faster than him, played at a tempo, was physical with the sp*rs players, and made the right passes. He nearly scored too. Even after looking back, not in the moment, it's obvious he was our best player. Silvestre was tragic, and forced Clichy to cover at centre back at times, when Clichy was just getting back from attacking down the left wing.

Van Persie was our second best player with only 20 minutes on the pitch.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 15 Apr 2010, 22:40

I think you're giving RVP way too much credit klc. Cesc is the type of player who can ruin a teams season when lost, but RVP has never been anything but an underacheiver (blame it on injuries if you want but it's true).

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 16 Apr 2010, 00:11

Perhaps, but I did say if RVP and Fabregas had not been injured. Fabregas is in my opinion the second best Midfielder in the world to Xavi.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 16 Apr 2010, 01:17

Xavi - Iniesta - Xabi Alonso and maybe a few others and then Cesc in my humble opinion.. Fabregas is good, but he seems to disapear at games, and some times in big games he's just not there... Good leadership skills and spectacular passer, not expected anything less from him, after all he comes from La Massia..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 16 Apr 2010, 01:31

Ya I was just saying you could leave RVP out of that prediction :wink:

It's hard to say with Cesc, he'll control every game for weeks on end then disappear for periods of time. On his day he's up there but it also depends on what role in the mid-field you're talking about IMO.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 16 Apr 2010, 01:41

As good as fabregas is, it would have been hella difficult to control the midfield when xavi is around. There were times in the first leg where xavi schooled fabregas and showed who is the master and whos the young grasshopper. Not just in terms of passing but also a lesson on how to manueover the ball around the midfield in tight spaces to find the right pass.

Then there was the total domination of midfield in the second leg. Leo was the star of the Messi show and xavi was the always important and equally overlooked director.

and if "what ifs?" about injuries are brought to question then I am sure this game would have been absolutely different if Iniesta was not injured as well.

Unfortunately, he is injured again. I was really hoping for him to be the trump card in the upcoming semi-final against the special one. With his and Abdial's injury, things will be diffuclt but possible.