Man. United vs. Chelsea

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Rooney himself has called for SAF to sign a new star striking partner for him. I think Berba needs to be shipped out for a fair price, although I'm not sure who they would bring in in his place. Villa maybe, but he's been shopped around a lot the past few seasons with little actual noise made.

mr_dude

I'm not a United expert or anything, but the striker could be anyone really, it depends on what kind of role Rooney will play. If Rooney plays in a similar role to this season; where he takes charge and becomes the main striker; then I think Ibra would be a great partner for him. And by Ibra, I mean Ibra and players like him, so Dzeko, Ibisevic, even Balotelli, they're all good supporting strikers with an ability to set up their partners, or take things into their own hands and score. They're all also of the right build to play in England, they can control long balls and they're strong enough to block off challenges. None of them have been that good this season, but they all have the ability to do great things.
If Rooney drops back into his supporting striker role, then Villa for sure would be a great partner, but the perfect partner for him IMO would be someone with the qualities of Torres. Strong, fast, good finisher, good dribbler. I watch a lot of Serie A so Miccoli was the first player I thought of. Hulk would work too, plus he's 7 years younger than Miccoli.
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

soccer11
Admin

The only reason I wanted Zlatan was for Zlatan to be Zlatan in English :) Though I do think he'd do pretty good at United if put in the right role. Just to make a point though, I didn't find this anywhere. I just threw a name I'd like to see go to Manchester. He's actually being linked with a return to Juventus but I still wouldn't mind seeing him at United.

And to Magicfeet, it was actually Scottyboy who said that. damn, my memory is failing me.

panchester07
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:The only reason I wanted Zlatan was for Zlatan to be Zlatan in English :) Though I do think he'd do pretty good at United if put in the right role. Just to make a point though, I didn't find this anywhere. I just threw a name I'd like to see go to Manchester. He's actually being linked with a return to Juventus but I still wouldn't mind seeing him at United.

And to Magicfeet, it was actually Scottyboy who said that. damn, my memory is failing me.
Yeah I was just talking to my friends today and they told me that Juventus want him back for 30 million euros..

If SAF wants Zlatan now is the time, his price is probably in an all time low after his not-so-great season with Barcelona.. Send him back to Italy, or to another league/team and he'll probably score 25+ goals per season again, and he'll get expensive.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

2brown347
Veteran Member

I still think 16 goals and 7 assist in 28 league games isn't bad. I think because so many of his goals are amazing and he lead serie A (or at least his teams) a few times people have the idea that he's simply a goal scorer. When really if you watched him play (at least at Inter, haven't seen a whole lot of full Barca games) he really isn't. He can score lots of goals but he's really a supporting striker who would rather pass around then take shots. In a equal number of games he's taken half as many shots as cr7. My 2cents but really he's just what United needs. He's built for the EPL, does best in a place Man U really needs, and will sell jerseys which plays a bigger role in these situations then people think.

It won't happen though so I'm not worried about it. Unless Man U does some big spending this summer though I don't see them taking better than 3rd.

soccer11
Admin

2brown347 wrote:I still think 16 goals and 7 assist in 28 league games isn't bad. I think because so many of his goals are amazing and he lead serie A (or at least his teams) a few times people have the idea that he's simply a goal scorer. When really if you watched him play (at least at Inter, haven't seen a whole lot of full Barca games) he really isn't. He can score lots of goals but he's really a supporting striker who would rather pass around then take shots. In a equal number of games he's taken half as many shots as cr7. My 2cents but really he's just what United needs. He's built for the EPL, does best in a place Man U really needs, and will sell jerseys which plays a bigger role in these situations then people think.

It won't happen though so I'm not worried about it. Unless Man U does some big spending this summer though I don't see them taking better than 3rd.
Besides Chelsea, who else do you have passing United?

And how about Berbatov for Zlatan straight up? That seems fair to me :P

I do think he'd be perfect for the EPL. We need more creativity in the United lineup I feel. Since Rooney has become the guy, he's never had a real #2 striker. Sure there was Larrson but that was only for 3 months.

Kasaki
Veteran Member

Berbatov would be perfect for barcelona technically, great touch, loves 1-2 touch passing, and barca don't run alot and he can finish/score

2brown347
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:
2brown347 wrote:I still think 16 goals and 7 assist in 28 league games isn't bad. I think because so many of his goals are amazing and he lead serie A (or at least his teams) a few times people have the idea that he's simply a goal scorer. When really if you watched him play (at least at Inter, haven't seen a whole lot of full Barca games) he really isn't. He can score lots of goals but he's really a supporting striker who would rather pass around then take shots. In a equal number of games he's taken half as many shots as cr7. My 2cents but really he's just what United needs. He's built for the EPL, does best in a place Man U really needs, and will sell jerseys which plays a bigger role in these situations then people think.

Besides Chelsea, who else do you have passing United?
I think as long as Arsenal doesn't sell their talent they can and will. That's if United doesn't buy this summer. Man U still need the old guys to save them quite often, and their days are numbered. Once they are gone how is Man U gonna stay on top? Anderson? Hargreeves? Arsenals finally maturing, Chelseas playing the best they've played recently + plan on spending this summer, Man City will probably be spending a LOT, and Spurs are building a squad to be feared. I don't think the leagues gonna be a 2 horse race anymore.

soccer11
Admin

That's true, but I feel that Nani, Valencia, and Fletcher have really come into their own this season and the reliance on the old guard isn't as great as it was in years gone by.
Obviously, Scholes and Giggs have saved us a few times this season but i expect them to do the same next season, which i predict will be Giggs' last.
We're getting older all throughout the squad but I'm sure we will bring in new players. I really wish we hadn't sold Pique to be honest. I think he could've been the future. Oh well.
Also, we've been bringing up Rafael who looks to be the future at right back. I think it's a mistake that we haven't played him more because I believe he'll be one of the best right backs in the world some day, he just needs playing time. He'll be the fulltime replacement for Neville once he retires (fingers crossed for it to be now)
We're fairly young in our starting lineup, not factoring in Van der Sar. (just off the top of my head, I think only Ferdinand and Van der Sar are over 30) I think our biggest challenge will be replacing him. We had Howard but after a great start to his United career, he kind of tailed off so we sold him. I think he could've been a key part to the United lineup. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to be honest.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Haha I don't see Man U not being first or second next league.. Chelsea is on fire... But they killed middle - low table teams, totally beatable..

Arsenal lost to us both fixtures, in the beggining when they where injury free.. and in the end, when they had a good amout of injuries, but still had Fabregas/Arshavin, and had just beaten Porto 5-0

Liverpool are dead...

The rest are all beatable

Man U has football philosophy, they impose their game, they pass the ball all over, they play they style.. Supposedly we were gonna flop when: Beckham left.. Didn't happen... When: Ruud Left: never happened.. Ronaldo Left: Maybe a tad but we were doing awesome till the Rooney injury...

Whatever happens, Man U is always gonna be a football giant in England and Europe.. We've had our dissapointments, but that genius called SAF always fines the way of around December-January putting the team together properly, finding the right style of play, building the right chemistry, and making it a threat.. With or without the stars.. He turns good players from other teams, into stars, hint Nani, hint Ronaldo, hint Valencia.. and the team alwayss is in the final phases of everything.. Since 2007 we hadn't lost before a semi-final in the champions league...

Ferguson always finds the way of making the team play best, and weather "the star of the moment" leaves or stay, we are always powerful and strong..

If this season, we we're second by a point, and in the transfer window we will reinforce ourselves, and we will not be loosing any key players (this is a fact, we WONT)then there is no reason to believe, that we can't be 1st or 2nd, if we'll have the same animalistic goal scoring possesing team that we had this year, and we'll add a striker probably to compliment Rooney and score more goals...

2010 -- Great team--
----- new signings ------
2011 better team

its an equation, you have a great team, great manager, you don't change things, and you add 1 or 2 new players to replace those that aren't getting the job done you can only get better, not worse..

And for loosiing 60 goals per season (Ronaldo 40 + Tevez 20) we did awesome... This goes to show that we always are a threat, and theres no reason to believe that a team that won 3 leagues in a row, 1 champions league final, Fa cups, carlings , made it to the final of the champions league, and 2nd by a point, is suddenly gonna not be as good next season..

You don't walk off a building and fly up all of the sudden.

We have one of the best defences in Europe, exellent wingers, a deadly striker that was gonna be the golden boot till he had his injury, and a powerful midfield.. What else do we want? We aint gonna not be great all of the sudden!

And leave the big spending for Real Madrid, Chelsea, and Man City we buy I players for cheap, and turn them in to stars and win tournaments ..

I also think its funny how people don't even support a team, but constantly hate on another one..Like ALL the time.. Those kids.. Spending time hating, and don't even love a team..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Magicfeet

klc123
Veteran Member

Rofl.

I think Ibra would be better at United than he is at Barcelona, although its debatable whether or not that he is the best for United.

One major advantage he would have is that he is very tall, and when you have wingers like Valencia, Nani and Giggs who can near enough put it on a plate for any striker, it's a recipe for goals.

I also think United's counter attacking football would suit Ibra more, as he seems to come into his own when he is in situations with less crowded and congested defences.

One flaw I think is that he is not exceptionally fast...and when you think that United have Nani and Valencia, two of the fastest players in the premier league, and on top of that Rooney, who I read in fourfourtwo recently is rated as the third fastest player in the world...That sort of attacking pace may be hard for Ibra to keep up with, especially if he is playing a Supporting striker role.

To be honest, I'm fed up with supporting strikers, Berbatov is supposedly one and he is poor in my opinion, it would be great to see the traditional English formation with 2 classical wingers and 2 traditional Centre forwards to bang in goals all day long.

Ward9310

Rome_Leader wrote:I think Berba needs to be shipped out for a fair price
Agreed 100% If someones offers something like £10-15m we should bite their hand off.

mr_dude

I don't think Berba would work particularly well at Barca, he's pretty much a worse version of Ibra, and Ibra hasn't worked out well.
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

klc123
Veteran Member

By worse version, you really mean X10^-9999999 right? :lol:

I can't stand Berbatov, he just frustrates me.

I like when players try to be creative and try fancy things, like Ronaldo doing tricks, Messi going on dribbles, Rooney trying to chip the keeper. Even when those things don't work out, it's the logic that you have to buy a ticket to win a lottery, and I respect that, because everyone misses or makes mistakes sometimes.

But it's the fact that Berbatov tries to do the exact same thing, many times in even a single match, and very very rarely does it actually work.

On top of that he doesn't do the basic stuff very well either, he hasn't got bragging finishing ability and most certainly doesn't create as much chances on goal as some other 30 million forwards.

A change is definitely in need I think.