The Adebayor Incident.

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

Your always going to be booed when you play against your old club. Look at the way we treat David Bentley :D lol or Cashley Cole. If Wenger hadn't brought Adebayor to the club he would still be that tall, langy, forward in France. We moulded him into a good player.

If the fans threw bananas then they should be punished. I read someone threw a chair or something at a steward. This is totally unacceptable behavior but don't lump all Arsenal fans into one group just because some don't have any class.

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

arsenalfc08 wrote:Your always going to be booed when you play against your old club. Look at the way we treat David Bentley :D lol or Cashley Cole. If Wenger hadn't brought Adebayor to the club he would still be that tall, langy, forward in France. We moulded him into a good player.

If the fans threw bananas then they should be punished. I read someone threw a chair or something at a steward. This is totally unacceptable behavior but don't lump all Arsenal fans into one group just because some don't have any class.
Bentley is a tw** and deserves all the sh*t he gets.

I don't blame Cole for the way he left Arsenal as he had verbally agreed a new contract and they club went back on their word. If that ever happens to you, you would be pissed off too. The fact is, he left to join a club with more potential and that is the thing that Arsenal fans just can't handle.

Adebayor helped Monaco to the Champions League final and Togo to the World Cup Finals in 2006 BEFORE he joined Arsenal so I think its fair to assume he was a good player prior to joining them.

Arsenal fans reacted badly to the goal celebration and I believe a steward was knocked out.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

Adebayor receives three match ban for stomp on RVP. Yet to be disciplined for celebration. Probably won't be, and that's okay, but I wanted 4-5 for the stomp. He will be missing the Manchester derby as a result.

http://in.reuters.com/article/sportsNew ... 2720090917

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post


soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

Rome_Leader wrote:Adebayor receives three match ban for stomp on RVP. Yet to be disciplined for celebration. Probably won't be, and that's okay, but I wanted 4-5 for the stomp. He will be missing the Manchester derby as a result.

http://in.reuters.com/article/sportsNew ... 2720090917
yea i thought that was pretty lenient on their part. They were easily could've given a lot more. But also, even though it's pretty obvious to me he did he on purpose, it wasn't really a stomp and really played it off like an accident.
Image

Pichichi
Senior Member
Posts: 280
Joined: 28 Apr 2009, 23:54

Post


panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3852
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

Rome_Leader wrote:The difference between the fans and the players is professionalism. If you're a professional, you have to expect to take flak. The Arsenal fans, at least IMO, had every right to give it to him for leaving Arsenal for the money that City offered. It's not like he was doing badly at Arsenal. Outside title contenders who preform decently outside of domestic, and he scores a lot.

Furthermore, it wasn't a fu**ing celebration; it was a taunting action. He purposefully ran the length of the pitch to jeer the Arsenal fans at the other end. If he had celebrations to do, he could do it in front of the net he scored on. That was just low. Emotions, fine, but if I do something like kick a player's teeth in in a game and blame it on emotion, I should not be fined? Same deal. He's making the sport and the league look bad by dissing the fans. Uncalled for. The fans allow him to play for his crazy high wage. I would even have been fine if he made those comments about them 'not being real fans' and left it at that. But taunting is a low that deserves a fine and reprimand. You can't argue that.

A prime example is Ronaldo. He did his share of stupid things, but never did he ever go as far as to blatantly taunt the fans just because his feelings were hurt that he was unpopular with a majority of them.
i disagree completely......
what do you think footballers are? footballers, they are profesionals in paying football not in taking sh*t from crazy fans, a doctor is a profesional in medicine too and you can bet your sweet ass they if someone gives him sh*t in the street he will reply.. good job adebayour next time well see if they keep their mouth shut..

he did go and celebrate in front of them, but he didnt make a gesture or anything, he just slid normally, if they want to insult like crazy then be men enough to take the celebration (and the loss)... in a way its just like dedicating a goal or something, if they wanna talk crap to the players all day, and the player has an oportunity to hit back in revenge, then what better way than this one by celebrating in their face.. it hurts, but it has been happening for ages, and it definetly isnt the first time, van bommel for example did the samething a few years ago in santiago bernabeu, same as etoo,.. its the rule of life, every action has an opposite reaction, they played with fire and now they are but hurt because they cant handle the flame..

in a way being a one of those booing fans is coward, how many of them would actually say those things in adebayors face? little or none

i would have done something worse probally, taking sh*t for 90 minutes and throiwng sh*t of the field, but a player cant celebrate for 20 seconds give me a break! it has been going on for years, its part of football already like it is diving, deal with it because your not gonna change it at all...

that idea of coming to the stadiums to diss on the players but whining when they shut your mouth by scoring on you and beating your team when it hurts the most has to change..

some people think that because they pay a ticket they can release all their frustrations by criticizing the player as player, person, race everything.. i agree of a little booing to make the player lloose focus, but in that situation as i said, by prepared for a reply anytime.. and thank God he didnt do the cantona kick, cause a kick from that man could leave 5 white men in a coma and 3 in a wheel cchair and 4 with a cast, and a few wwith broken femurs


and another 8 with a damage collar boneee

Jboogey
Senior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Dec 2008, 21:51

Post

panchester07 wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:The difference between the fans and the players is professionalism. If you're a professional, you have to expect to take flak. The Arsenal fans, at least IMO, had every right to give it to him for leaving Arsenal for the money that City offered. It's not like he was doing badly at Arsenal. Outside title contenders who preform decently outside of domestic, and he scores a lot.

Furthermore, it wasn't a fu**ing celebration; it was a taunting action. He purposefully ran the length of the pitch to jeer the Arsenal fans at the other end. If he had celebrations to do, he could do it in front of the net he scored on. That was just low. Emotions, fine, but if I do something like kick a player's teeth in in a game and blame it on emotion, I should not be fined? Same deal. He's making the sport and the league look bad by dissing the fans. Uncalled for. The fans allow him to play for his crazy high wage. I would even have been fine if he made those comments about them 'not being real fans' and left it at that. But taunting is a low that deserves a fine and reprimand. You can't argue that.

A prime example is Ronaldo. He did his share of stupid things, but never did he ever go as far as to blatantly taunt the fans just because his feelings were hurt that he was unpopular with a majority of them.
i disagree completely......
what do you think footballers are? footballers, they are profesionals in paying football not in taking sh*t from crazy fans, a doctor is a profesional in medicine too and you can bet your sweet ass they if someone gives him sh*t in the street he will reply.. good job adebayour next time well see if they keep their mouth shut..

he did go and celebrate in front of them, but he didnt make a gesture or anything, he just slid normally, if they want to insult like crazy then be men enough to take the celebration (and the loss)... in a way its just like dedicating a goal or something, if they wanna talk crap to the players all day, and the player has an oportunity to hit back in revenge, then what better way than this one by celebrating in their face.. it hurts, but it has been happening for ages, and it definetly isnt the first time, van bommel for example did the samething a few years ago in santiago bernabeu, same as etoo,.. its the rule of life, every action has an opposite reaction, they played with fire and now they are but hurt because they cant handle the flame..

in a way being a one of those booing fans is coward, how many of them would actually say those things in adebayors face? little or none

i would have done something worse probally, taking sh*t for 90 minutes and throiwng sh*t of the field, but a player cant celebrate for 20 seconds give me a break! it has been going on for years, its part of football already like it is diving, deal with it because your not gonna change it at all...

that idea of coming to the stadiums to diss on the players but whining when they shut your mouth by scoring on you and beating your team when it hurts the most has to change..

some people think that because they pay a ticket they can release all their frustrations by criticizing the player as player, person, race everything.. i agree of a little booing to make the player lloose focus, but in that situation as i said, by prepared for a reply anytime.. and thank God he didnt do the cantona kick, cause a kick from that man could leave 5 white men in a coma and 3 in a wheel cchair and 4 with a cast, and a few wwith broken femurs

and another 8 with a damage collar boneee
*sobs while clapping*

Beautiful ...thank you. FInally someone who is not thinking as a moral saint and thinking as a human being who has been through and or seen what that type of taunting does and that being a footballer doesn't mean come and take flak and racist friggin comments.
"Skill is in the foot not whats on it" - New Born Prodigy

Image

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

That makes no fu**ing sense. Your example of a doctor taking offense to comments on the street is a good example of why circular reasoning doesn't work. "I say footballers are professionals who need to handle problems other ways then being dicks, regardless of what the fans do. Doctors are professionals. Therefore, if a person on the street has a problem with a doctor COMPLETELY unrelated to his profession, he shouldn't do something."

The fact remains, what Adebayor does on his own time is one thing. I have never really had a problem with players going to clubs or whatever and supposedly bringing down their own image or that of the sport because that is their own choice on their own time. When a doctor is on the street, and someone picks a fight, it's his OWN TIME. A completely different matter. If he whined and taunted in his office because someone said 'Dude, you fu**ed up. I think I'm allergic to this medication', that's different. When you're playing a game that is televised INTERNATIONALLY, and is also a part of your career, you are expected to act a certain way. fu** me if 'emotions took hold of him'. Players take sh*t every day. Most professional sports players do. To think that he would get through his career and have a fan or someone NEVER to jeer him is laughable. To talk about emotions taking over as justification for his actions is a cop-out. It's easy for a player to find excuses like that once the action is done, and they regret it. A true player with CLASS would recognize "Yeah, I'm taking sh*t from the fans, but what good is my whining gonna do? Probably make them hate me more... It won't change a thing. Maybe it's best I keep playing and try to convince them with my skill and not my big stupid yap." The point being, flipping out and blaming it on something is the EASY WAY OUT. It takes pride and determination to close your mouth, and keep playing. A key facet of pro sports players is being able to perform without distraction and remain cool under pressure. Clearly, Ade has none of those qualities.

It's one thing to say the FANS should be men and take it, but they are not the ones getting paid the millions to be jerks. In fact, they paid to attend and are, indirectly, supporting Ade and his team. Ade's playing for Man. City is a privilege, one that his skill may have earned him, but that fans that used to adore him have also afforded him.

Diving hurts and has been happening for ages, so we should put up with it? So has fan-heckling, bud. Most players don't take it to such an extreme as to run the fu**ing length of the field to try to make a point when, in reality, they make themselves look like an ass. If he had any credibility, he would've considered the goal ample reason for them to shut their mouths, and may smirked or threw his hands up as if to say 'There you go.' Henry did it, and it was much less of a spectacle. He didn't sprint the whole pitch to target the fans. He scored and stood there cold and expressionless, and people got the message. He didn't single anybody out, or act like a child. He scored his goal, and took it in proper stride.

If there were racist remarks AT THE TIME OF THE FIXTURE, that is different. No such thing has come up in any reports. If Ade is still hurt because they were racist towards him, there are proper channels he could take, rather than being confrontational during a fu**ing game. Other people handle racism in football, not he himself. What does he expect to do about it by giving them more reasons to jeer his ass?

Cantona was a retard for that too. But that's another story for another time.

Jboogey
Senior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Dec 2008, 21:51

Post

nobody does sh*t about racism in football...its the same concept as uefa banning people for diving...they'd only do it to put on a good fu**ing face
"Skill is in the foot not whats on it" - New Born Prodigy

Image

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

Jboogey wrote:nobody does sh*t about racism in football...its the same concept as uefa banning people for diving...they'd only do it to put on a good fu**ing face
Well, that's a sad truth, but it's not Adebayor's place to do stuff like that. Besides, no actual derisively racist comments were made to him during the game to provoke that celebration.

Jboogey
Senior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Dec 2008, 21:51

Post

Rome_Leader wrote:
Jboogey wrote:nobody does sh*t about racism in football...its the same concept as uefa banning people for diving...they'd only do it to put on a good fu**ing face
Well, that's a sad truth, but it's not Adebayor's place to do stuff like that. Besides, no actual derisively racist comments were made to him during the game to provoke that celebration.
And you were in the crowd to know this I presume? look have your opinion but if playing proffesional football means I must be abused and suck it up without complaint then fu** fifa, their governing bodies and their fans. Its like fu**ing slavery all over again just take it all in and shut the hell up. "Entertain us black bitch and don't ever think about replying to the insult I just gave you because since society dictates that I pay you, you better not make me mad".
"Skill is in the foot not whats on it" - New Born Prodigy

Image

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

If such a thing were true, Adebayor would've said so in the post-match apology: "I know what I did was wrong, but in my defense, they were being very racist to me."

To say only ethnic groups like Africans and Asians receive abuse isn't true either. As has been said, Arsenal fans aren't the most accepting of fans. They could find a reason to get on your back for pretty much anything.

Look, all I'm saying is, what Adebayor did was ill-advised, and unbecoming of a professional. If a fan actually sent legitimate threats towards him during that game to provoke the taunting, or was racist towards him, then he should by all means come out with it, and lobby the FA and FIFA to crack down on it. He can do a better job being an advocate against racism in football than by being a jerk straight back. It's pretty much the equivalent of Adebayor throwing racial remarks right back. Just fueling the fire.

He's not the first, nor will he be the last to experience racism in football, so why should he expect special treatment for his actions? You're making this seem like I'm trying to justify racism in football. I'm not; I think it's a terrible, ugly thing that has no place in the sport. But if they're getting on his back mostly with (and I know they are) jeering of 'You fu**ing suck! You sold out!', then that's something he has to learn to turn his other cheek to.

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3852
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

sorry rome but... when did he ever whine? if i dont recall its arsenal fans that are whinning, and again, why do they boo and talk crap if they cant take a SIMPLE, LEGAL, AND JUSTIFIED CELEBRATION? i mean, fans are dicks sometimes, all he did was prove them wrong and show them that they should think twice before messing with him...

emotions my ass its just standing up for himself, and i havent heard one good reason from you why theres anything wrong with it..

the same reason how he is expected to shut up and take all that bs and bias criticisim from the spectactor should they be men enough and take it back..

againnnn HE ONLY SLIDD AND CELEBRATED...... he didnt tell them to fu** off, or kick them, or do the SHHH thing that is so popular, dude thiss happens a lot but believe me, if no one in arsenal sidewould have said anything then adebayor wouldnt have just gone there and celebrated......

can you please explain to me, what is it that you dont like about the matter?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

panchester07 wrote:sorry rome but... when did he ever whine? if i dont recall its arsenal fans that are whinning, and again, why do they boo and talk crap if they cant take a SIMPLE, LEGAL, AND JUSTIFIED CELEBRATION? i mean, fans are dicks sometimes, all he did was prove them wrong and show them that they should think twice before messing with him...

emotions my ass its just standing up for himself, and i havent heard one good reason from you why theres anything wrong with it..

the same reason how he is expected to shut up and take all that bs and bias criticisim from the spectactor should they be men enough and take it back..

againnnn HE ONLY SLIDD AND CELEBRATED...... he didnt tell them to fu** off, or kick them, or do the SHHH thing that is so popular, dude thiss happens a lot but believe me, if no one in arsenal sidewould have said anything then adebayor wouldnt have just gone there and celebrated......

can you please explain to me, what is it that you dont like about the matter?
He whined in the same conference where he called the Arsenal fans "not real fans".

Well, to be fair, the fans who were throwing stuff at him and trying to leap onto the pitch took it too far as well. Doesn't change the fact that the celebration was stupid and childish.

What I don't like about the matter is the following... You can call it trivial, but at the time, I thought it was a big thing. The dude is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL. A model for the youth, the respectful watching fans (not the ones calling him out and stuff) and all other players below him. What do they see? A jerk who goes out of his way to run the length of the pitch to supposedly 'get back at' the fans who did him wrong.

Is that how we are supposed to teach the youth to handle their problems? Whenever they don't like being booed, they should run the length of the field and perform taunts? Maybe in that situation, it was a little more justified, but not much. It sets a bad precedent, and that's why I don't like you guys defending him as if nothing was wrong. I didn't call for a ban or anything, I just said it was foolish and he should be made to apologize (which he has done). It all boils down to, I guess, the point I'm trying to push about professionals being professionals. They are highly paid role models, so the least they can do is constructively deal with the flak they are getting on a game televised internationally.

Post Reply