Premier League vs Serie A minus CL teams.

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
udinese20

Premier League vs Serie A minus CL teams.

Post by udinese20 » 14 Jul 2009, 05:32

http://goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/ ... r-italy-or

Goal.com recently posted a pretty interesting article about the overall strength of EPL and Serie A, comparing the two without the teams that qualified for the CL. In the article they've posted 5 (maybe it was 4) teams from each league consisting of the best players from each league. IMO Serie A wins hands down simply because of the depth they have in each team. In all of the squads, a majority of the Serie A players are internationals where as there are less in the EPL squads. So who do you think would win? Take a look at the squads and see. :)

mr_dude

Post by mr_dude » 14 Jul 2009, 18:49

I say Serie A by far. Mourinho has a quote about this, he said how much easier it was to win the Premier League than the Scudetto because any game against smaller opponents is an easy win in the EPL, and Serie A has no easy games. At least that's how I remember his quote went.
Anyway, I think Serie A will make it's way back to the top by the start of the new decade.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 14 Jul 2009, 20:15

I'm not really sure. I think it's rather close. I think I'm going to pick the Premier league though. Roma is usually in the top 4 of Serie A so yea, now it seems like Serie A but if you were to take the traditional top 4 of England (Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool) and the usual top 4 of Italy (Inter, Milan, Juventus, Roma), then I think England is a little bit better. It's rather close and is an interesting concept though.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 14 Jul 2009, 20:41

without a doubt though, The top 4 EPl teams are much better than the top 4 Serie A teams.....but it is hard to know which teams excluding the top 4 are better when they never play....
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

Pichichi

Post by Pichichi » 14 Jul 2009, 21:19

Premier League for sure. Teams that are in the top half of the table in the premiership would give any top foreign team a rough time. The EPL consists of very solid squads, maybe they don't gave big names, but teams like Everton, Tottenham, Villa, West Ham, and Fulham have players that I'd take any day over the Serie a players that aren't in a big top 4 sort of club. There are lots of internationals in England too...

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 14 Jul 2009, 22:52

mr_dude wrote:I say Serie A by far. Mourinho has a quote about this, he said how much easier it was to win the Premier League than the Scudetto because any game against smaller opponents is an easy win in the EPL, and Serie A has no easy games. At least that's how I remember his quote went.
Anyway, I think Serie A will make it's way back to the top by the start of the new decade.
All that means is that there isn't such a big gap between the top 4 in Serie A and the rest compared to the top 4 in the Premier League and the rest.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 15 Jul 2009, 00:52

The reason why the gap between top 4 is smaller in Serie A is because the top 4 are worse lol. The other 16 teams in italy arent better than those in the premier league, in fact they are probably worse. The Italian style of football isnt physical enough to beat Spanish or English teams on a regular basis.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 » 15 Jul 2009, 02:09

Did you all that are posting even look at the article? You can tell that the Italian teams had more quality. Milito, Cassano, Di Natale, Quagliarella, Miccoli, De Rossi, Mexes, Juan, Cicinho, Palombo, Santacroce, Riise, D'Agostino, Totti.

Di Vaio-24 Goals
Milito-24 Goals

You all are living in a delusional world if you think the english players were better than these players.
Made by 2Brown.

Pichichi

Post by Pichichi » 15 Jul 2009, 04:29

You didn't mention Zarate.. No one is delusional if they believe Modric is better than totti or lescott better than mexes. They're all very good players who would give each other a run for their money in the positions they play. Englands teams have better defenses in my opinion and it's much harder to tally a record like milito or di vaio in the premiership compared to serie a

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 » 15 Jul 2009, 04:36

Pichichi wrote:You didn't mention Zarate.. No one is delusional if they believe Modric is better than totti or lescott better than mexes. They're all very good players who would give each other a run for their money in the positions they play. Englands teams have better defenses in my opinion and it's much harder to tally a record like milito or di vaio in the premiership compared to serie a
Italy is known for their strong defense so...

And I can't believe you would compare Modric to Totti. Wow..
Made by 2Brown.

Pichichi

Post by Pichichi » 15 Jul 2009, 05:04

Oh no totti and modric at totally different!!! All I said is modric may be better for some people.Italy is known for putting 11players behind the ball not being great at defence. Put any top table clubs defence in Italy against one in england excluding the top 4 and personally I'd prefer a premiership back 4. Just my opinions

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 16 Jul 2009, 10:34

INTER1908 wrote:
Pichichi wrote:You didn't mention Zarate.. No one is delusional if they believe Modric is better than totti or lescott better than mexes. They're all very good players who would give each other a run for their money in the positions they play. Englands teams have better defenses in my opinion and it's much harder to tally a record like milito or di vaio in the premiership compared to serie a
Italy is known for their strong defense so...

And I can't believe you would compare Modric to Totti. Wow..
I wouldn't exactly consider defenses in Italy amazing when Oneywu is considered a "big" signing.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 16 Jul 2009, 14:47

To be fair Oneywu isn't considered a big signing for anyone who isn't a US fan. He probably won't get off the bench, he's big but not a great defender

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 17 Jul 2009, 01:43

2brown347 wrote:To be fair Oneywu isn't considered a big signing for anyone who isn't a US fan. He probably won't get off the bench, he's big but not a great defender
the feeling I was getting was that he would be a consistent starter and a vital role on the team. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how he's going to be used.