THE RED THREAD

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
NewBornProdigy
Admin

ratherton wrote:Q. What do you call Liverpool without Steven Gerrard?

A. Stoke
AHAHAHA LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That brought a tear to my eye

God damn that was a sloppy game... Benayoon had some cracking shots in it, along with gerrard
But its El Nino who makes the difference

Alsonso should have went off not Lampard... and I laughed when Stevie G got a booking for diving, eat your heart out CR7

Hugh
Veteran Member

Uhh... no, that was a studs up challenge. Red card.

mint
EF Drug Baron

Thank god we got the 3 points tonight, two decent goals by Torres.

I agree with hugh in a sense that it was definitely a foul, but imo it wasn;t a sending off, a yellow card at the most.
i was made to ignite

Anymi
Veteran Member

Since I live in Aus the game was at 2:30. My mum didnt let me watch on a school night. Lol.

Yet to see the goals, Keane looks like he will go. Benayoun played awsome apparently.

LIVERPOOL!!!!!!

powell
English Meister

First thing i asked my self was why cant we play like that every game? Nbp what are you talking about, sloppy game my arse. It was attack vs defense, entertain passing and moving. Keane has got to be gone by 5pm tomorrow surely. Agger didnt play again which pissed me off as skrte once again looked pretty sh*t maybe average at times.

Torres first goal was immense, great run and finish with good build up on the left. His second was a routine goal for a striker. Benayoun played well i wouldnt say amazing but he had some good dipping shots caused cech some problems and also his running at bosingwa.

Also finally i dont think lampards was a sending off but first reaction for my was damn that was bad but after seeing in properly i think the ref was wrong. But im annoyed with the chelsea fans that are saying yu only beat us when we had lampard sent off, but the thing is we had nearly to total dominance before. Chelsea didnt even have a shot on target untill 75th min, but i dont think bosingwa should have been sent off for kicking benayoun in the back nearly the corner flag at the end. Not even a yllow. Mike riley is a joke, he get all big decisions wrong, for both teams.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

What powell is saying is correct. Chelsea played sh*t, and probably didn't deserve to win. In fact, I'm SURE they didn't. I am worried for our title hopes.

However, that was a sh*tty ass red, and CLEARLY not deserved. It certainly might've swung the game. Terry had a right to be livid, and should've spat at him, if it wouldn't have resulted in disciplinary action. How the HELL was that a red? Lampard's challenge was late, but the only person harmed was LAMPARD, when he received a violent kick to the ankle/shin. I expect an investigation/a full apology or admission of guilt from the ref. He should NOT have to serve a ban.

soccer11
Admin

I have to disagree with you about it not being a sloppy game. That was a very sloppy game. Like i posted in the other topic, this was a really poor game. Large portions of it ended up looking like kickball. There never really was a time in the first 70 minutes where you could say there was a true scoring opportunity. I was watching it at the some of the foreign exchange student's house here on campus and we were all in awe, even the Liverpool fan couldn't believe the lack of organization in the game.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

I think that's what I expect when watching the English game. Seeing the ball being knocked around back and forth is no surprise. Liverpool finished the match well and they did a great job of capitalizing on the Chelsea defender's mistake for the second goal.

Hugh
Veteran Member

I'm sticking up for Riley on this one. As a ref myself I can easily see why he'd give Lampard a red, he knows that these guys know what they're doing, nothing gets done by accident, and he knows that that was a studs up challenge, which is a tackle using excessive force. (btw. A studs up challenge is an instant caution under current rulings) And I'll agree it didn't look too bad under slow motion replay but I think everyone will agree that when they first saw the challenge it looked incredibly nasty.

It was a gut decision by Riley and I think that he made the right choice. That could easily have been an ankle breaking challenge, the fact that it wasn't makes it no less serious an offence in my eyes. Definitely a red.

Bosingwa wasn't sent off... Were you trying to say he should be booked? If so then I agree with you.

Skrt looked pretty good to me actually, made a couple of key tackles.

And there were loads of scoring opportunities in the first 70 minutes. Torres's volley which hit alex, mascherano's shot which no one pounced on...

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Yeah Boswinga's challenge was ridiculous. He pushed the player out with his boot. That should have definitely been a card.

heiky0711

It took Liverpool almost 89 minutes to finally scored that important first goal. Unsurprisingly scored by Fernando Torres. But the Reds deserved their victory and hence above Chelsea on the league table. I think Chelsea got demoralised after the first goal which is why they concede on the second. Let's hope the Reds can build on this victory, they've been inconsistent lately due to late goals from the less formidable teams. First, they have the FA Cup 4th Round replay against Everton which I hope they build something on and it's away at Goodison as well :( . Personally I don't judge based on this single victory but how they can build up this momentum with so much going on around the club like the owner's takeover, Robbie Keane saga etc. But if the Reds were to become champion, they have to overcome these obstacles and if and when they do, who knows, they could finally win the Premiership 8)

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com

Crom

After watching the game you have to admit Liverpool had alot more quality chances then Chelsea had. Once they went a man down it was only a matter of time before Liverpool would capitalize on it. As far as the red card for Lampard, that was very strange, no warning, no yellow, just a straight red. Looking at the challenge, its no worse then many typical challenges you see every game, plus Gerrard was only warned on a similair tackle. Then the ref goes and fails to book/caution/anything on Bosingwa's foot to the back in the corner?? Where's the consistancy?
Honestly you're not gonna agree with all the calls a ref makes during a game, but the least you can ask for is consistancy in the type of calls made. ie: if this a caution, then when done by someone else it should also be a caution. If thats a red, then something worse should also be a red. You have to give Scolari credit though, he seems to be a gentlemen even in defeat, he tells it like it is, and doesn't dance around the question, unlike a liverpool manger who seems to like to stir up things.

powell
English Meister

What do you guys think of keane going then?

I firstly though good keane is going to play football again and where making approximatly £15 million from him. Time to start look for a replacement so i waited and waited and waited and waited and nothing.

Well done rafa, you should start by wrapping torres in cotton wool becuase if he gets injuried our title chance will blow up in our faces.

mint
EF Drug Baron

I thought Keane would go back to tottenham anyway, so its not much of a surprise that hes gone, he should get a bit more playing time there.

Our main priority at the moment is beating Everton on wednesday which if we play like we did yesterday, we should beat them.
i was made to ignite

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

With the new cash flow i'd like to see the likes of Van der Vaart come to the pool, he hasn't been doing to hot at Madrid, and so I've heard is looking to get out. I think he would complement Torres really well.