THE RED THREAD

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Oct 2010, 19:02

Using that Logic, Luton town deserve to be in the top four of the Premiership because they held Liverpool to a draw in the FA Cup, in the same season that Liverpool finished Fourth. So Luton Town should be in the European Cup.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 28 Oct 2010, 21:10

Sadly, the European Cup is long gone. A pity as it was far more exciting than the ridiculous Champions League.

Anyway, I don't think my idea is any more stupid than the people who thought up the concept of the Premier League.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Oct 2010, 22:46

Actually now thinking about it, I think the year Luton held Liverpool to a draw was the year they actually won the European Cup, so Luton should have a replica one in their Trophy cabinet, opps I mean empty closet and say they deserve it for being as good as Liverpool.

What makes you say the Premier League is a bad idea lol?

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 03 Nov 2010, 19:05

klc123 wrote:Actually now thinking about it, I think the year Luton held Liverpool to a draw was the year they actually won the European Cup, so Luton should have a replica one in their Trophy cabinet, opps I mean empty closet and say they deserve it for being as good as Liverpool.

What makes you say the Premier League is a bad idea lol?
European Cup or "Champions" League?

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 04 Nov 2010, 19:40

European Cup is still the same cup, the competition is just called Champions League?

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 06 Nov 2010, 19:13

klc123 wrote:European Cup is still the same cup, the competition is just called Champions League?
No, the European Cup was only for teams who had won their countries league the previous season. It was a straight knock-out from the first round. All rounds were over 2 legs and the final was on a neutral ground.

Holders automatically qualified for the tournament and the draw for each round was unseeded.

The present competition is a complete abortion hyped to the extreme by twatty marketing executives wearing red socks and braces (the kind to hold up your trousers, not to straighten teeth).

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 08 Nov 2010, 00:54

Agreed about the European Cup.

About Luton games. We won the CL 05, knocked you about in 06 FA cup, drew with you 2 years later and slaughtered you in the replay.

Just clarifying

InterDeLaChance
Sophomore Member

Post by InterDeLaChance » 08 Nov 2010, 15:20

ratherton wrote:
klc123 wrote:European Cup is still the same cup, the competition is just called Champions League?
No, the European Cup was only for teams who had won their countries league the previous season. It was a straight knock-out from the first round. All rounds were over 2 legs and the final was on a neutral ground.

Holders automatically qualified for the tournament and the draw for each round was unseeded.

The present competition is a complete abortion hyped to the extreme by twatty marketing executives wearing red socks and braces (the kind to hold up your trousers, not to straighten teeth).
So what do you want the tournament to be like?

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 10 Nov 2010, 23:43

InterDeLaChance wrote:
ratherton wrote:

So what do you want the tournament to be like?
Same format as the old European Cup. It also meant the UEFA Cup was a good competition too but its all about money so it'll never happen.

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 06 Mar 2011, 23:57

Great result for us against manchester united :D, dominated play for pretty much all of the game, good that kuyt was on form as well, suarez did well today i thought.

As for Carroll he didn't play much of the game but he is looking very promising in my eyes, hopefully we can play like we played today for the rest of the season and push for a european spot. :)
i was made to ignite

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 07 Mar 2011, 02:09

Conversation between Suarez and Kuyt before the match....

K: Man, I was a phenomenal finisher back in Eridivise but the EPL is hard

S: Pfft...we faced each other in the WC semi..... this shouldnt be that hard

K: Seriously! I havent scored a hat-trick for liverpool yet and I have been here for ages!!

S: Really? Alright, everytime I get the ball, just run inside the 6 yard box...

K: Why?

S: Just do it and leave the rest to my South American brilliance 8)

WatchKingKennyPlay
Sophomore Member

Post by WatchKingKennyPlay » 07 Mar 2011, 11:44

mint wrote:Great result for us against manchester united :D, dominated play for pretty much all of the game, good that kuyt was on form as well, suarez did well today i thought.

As for Carroll he didn't play much of the game but he is looking very promising in my eyes, hopefully we can play like we played today for the rest of the season and push for a european spot. :)
Kuyt scored perhaps the easiest hattick out haha!

Great performance by all. So excited about the future.

And thanks for bumping the thread man. I saw cobwebs caving over.

Btw Mint, would you ever consider stickying the Red, Gunners and United threads?

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 07 Mar 2011, 16:30

All of Kuyts goals are easy...if he was ever destined to score a hatrick we all knew it would be a string of tap-ins and defending fu**-ups.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 07 Mar 2011, 19:07

klc123 wrote:All of Kuyts goals are easy...if he was ever destined to score a hatrick we all knew it would be a string of tap-ins and defending fu**-ups.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 07 Mar 2011, 19:16

At least Kuyt was smartly putting himself in positions to poach goals.. had Arsenal had someone on the pitch with instincts like that on Saturday they probably would've beaten Sunderland.
Click it