Foreign player caps?

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 17 Dec 2007, 18:59

There is no doubt that the top foreign players have brought a lot to the Premier League but there are a lot of foreign players who aren't any better than can be found in England.

The gulf in finance means that players won't stay in the lower leagues and you can't blame them. For the last couple of years, David Nugent has been one of the top strikers in the Championship and got into the England squad. In the summer, he's got his big money move to Portsmouth and hardly kicked a ball. With him in their team, Preston always had a chance of promotion, now they don't. Preston have made a few quid but its nothing to what they could have acheived had Nugent stayed. I certainly don't blame Nugent for taking the money but if there wasn't such a gap in finances, its possible that Nugent would not have made the move.

I follow Ipswich and with the takeover that is being rubber stamped at an EGM tonight, Magilton will have the finances available to strengthen the squad so yes, they can realistically get promoted. Reading were an exceptionally good side and I never thought for a moment they'd go back down. Wigan did brilliantly and now they've stayed up for a couple of years, they are getting regular cashflow to be able to buy the better players to help them stay up. However, more often than not, teams go straight back down because the gulf is too big to bridge in a single season. Of course they can spend the money but a club could be financially ruined if they go straight down again.

As a supporter, if Ipswich go up, my season ticket price will actually go down (as part of a renewal condition from last season) but away tickets will go up from around £23 a match to over £40. Sunderland fans had to pay £48 at Chelsea the other week. I will not pay that much to watch my team have rings run round them - its nothing to do with being able to afford it or not, its value for money or rather lack of it. On top of that, kick-off times get messed around all the time so you can't plan travelling in advance (eg buying cheaper train tickets). I've been to practically every Premier League ground a number of times any way so as a supporter, I really don't see how much match day experience will be improved by promotion.

I honestly don't care if an English teams wins the Champions League or not. Having one or two exceptional sides doesn't not mean the domestic league they plan in is worth watching. I would prefer to see the domestic league as a more interesting competition week in, week out and if that means the standard of the top sides was reduced then it wouldn't concern me in the slightest.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

Post by ROIUSA » 17 Dec 2007, 19:36

though i dont completly lean towards a cap on foreign players, i do understand where those who do support one are coming from. however, i dont feel at all that englands poor int'l performances have anything to do with the amount of foreign players in the league.

but one idea( i dont think its been mentioned) would be to have a rule that a certain number of home based(english) players must be on the field at all times. so a club may have as much foreign talent as they want, but say only 5 foreigners can be on the pitch at one moment.
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 18 Dec 2007, 21:16

ratherton wrote: I honestly don't care if an English teams wins the Champions League or not. Having one or two exceptional sides doesn't not mean the domestic league they plan in is worth watching. I would prefer to see the domestic league as a more interesting competition week in, week out and if that means the standard of the top sides was reduced then it wouldn't concern me in the slightest.
im sure you would but im not sure about the fans of the top 4
thats a kind of selfish veiw if you dont mind me saying
im sure the supporters of clubs who can win things want to see their clubs doing so. These clubs are expected and can win trophys but unfortunatly english football is so poor the only way they can do it is by bring in hoardes of foreigners

at the end of the day im sure arsenal man u chelsea and liverpool will be happy to give up their best players and success to allow the league to become more competitive so more teams can beat them. im sure the abramovics gilettes and glaziers will also be firm backers

unknown

Post by unknown » 18 Dec 2007, 21:47

but one idea( i dont think its been mentioned) would be to have a rule that a certain number of home based(english) players must be on the field at all times. so a club may have as much foreign talent as they want, but say only 5 foreigners can be on the pitch at one moment.
this is essentially the same thing as a foreign player cap. why wud u get foreign players when u cant play them? again i understand what ure all saying but it seems ure scapegoating foreign players. ure blaming foreign players for playing for less but say u can "understand" english players who go for the money? bit hypocritical aint it

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 18 Dec 2007, 22:51

ScottyBoy wrote:
ratherton wrote: I honestly don't care if an English teams wins the Champions League or not. Having one or two exceptional sides doesn't not mean the domestic league they plan in is worth watching. I would prefer to see the domestic league as a more interesting competition week in, week out and if that means the standard of the top sides was reduced then it wouldn't concern me in the slightest.
im sure you would but im not sure about the fans of the top 4
thats a kind of selfish veiw if you dont mind me saying
im sure the supporters of clubs who can win things want to see their clubs doing so. These clubs are expected and can win trophys but unfortunatly english football is so poor the only way they can do it is by bring in hoardes of foreigners

at the end of the day im sure arsenal man u chelsea and liverpool will be happy to give up their best players and success to allow the league to become more competitive so more teams can beat them. im sure the abramovics gilettes and glaziers will also be firm backers
So is English club football only meant to suit the supporters of the top 4 clubs? Is the money I pay at the turnstile somehow not as valueable because my season ticket says "Ipswich Town FC" instead of "Manchester United"?

We both know the big clubs aren't going to do anything that would put their places in the Champions Leagu at risk. There have been some concerns voiced that with all the foreign takeovers, the new owners may try to find some way of reducing the number of relegation places or even stopping relegation from the Premier League in order to protect their investments.

I know a few lads from North of the border who support non Old Firm teams and for years they've been telling me they want those 2 clubs to come down to play in England so they can actually have an interesting league to compete in again. Now the Premiership is moving that way too.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 18 Dec 2007, 23:14

i also support a non old firm team and i also wish they would fu** off down south (dont tell my employers) but that is a different story

although the big 4 in england have superior squads other premiership clubs everton spurs etc are able to compete in european competitions. look at bolton and middlesbrough both are lower quality prem teams but are succeding in europe (well maybe not bolton)

anyway my point is these teams have somthing to play for

in scotland all the potential talent is sucked into the old firm. over the last couple of seasons the old firm have literally taken players from other clubs in many peoples opinions to stop them playing against them
look at Hibs over the last 2 years they have sold Scott Brown - Kevin Thomson - Steven Whitticker - derek riordan - chris killen and ian murray
Brown and Whittecker are the only ones who see regular 1st team football

so many jokes have been made about riordan how is is the "invisible man" because he hasnt been seen in a year and i think chris killen is yet to start a game for celtic

hearts recently sold paul hartley and steven pressley who to be fair do ge a game at celtic

motherwell sold their star striker scott mcdonald who is currently the spls top scorer but it is widely accepted that he is not up to champions league standard where they expect to be

so many others have left "smaller" teams to join the old firm and never see first team football

this prevents scottish teams competing in europe where before the introduction of tv money etc they would progress to latter stages
compitition in scotland is dead so you cant compare it to england

ps that was a bit of a rant and for the record i dont support hibs either they are just the best example