Man U vs. Milan

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
Saibomb
Veteran Member

Man U vs. Milan

Post by Saibomb » 24 Apr 2007, 21:48

I know a lot of you saw this one. AWESOME match, doesn't matter if you're a fan of either team or not, it was just awesome. Felt that for the first half it was all milan and kaka probably proved today that he is probably one of the top 3 best players in the world. In the second united were better for the majority of it, mainly after Rooney's first goal. At 2-2 I thought it was a fair result but awful goal keeping, and I mean AWFUL goal keeping by dida allowed rooney to get that goal which now gives them a lead going into milan.
It was a decent strike by rooney but what the hell was dida doing? Do you guys see where he was standing, Rooney and the defender are coming down to the near post and he is standing all the way at the far post. He leaves a HUGE gap and rooney makes the most of it. Anyway, what you guys think?

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 24 Apr 2007, 22:12

Rooney took the shot really early and if you look at where the defender was, I think he caught the keeper by surprise.

It was a great finish.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 24 Apr 2007, 22:26

I saw the match as always enjoying my taste of the Champions League. Kaka first goal was nice but the second was better. Actually I think Dida save couple great shots, Milan could have concede four or five if wasn't for the saves. Now, the shot from Rooney was fast, powerful, and low. It's the keeper job to cover both posts, covering too close the near post can be difficult to save if the ball were to shot to the far post.

Milan lost today didn't make great difficulty for them in the second leg. They already scored two away goals, they only need to beat United 1-0 at home, two or more goals if concede one, so despite their lost today, away goals gave them a lot of advantage.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 24 Apr 2007, 23:27

I actually did not see the match because no one was broadcasting it. I read a description of it and man it sounded so awesome!!! Wish I could have seen it. :(

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Post by AmericanFutballer » 24 Apr 2007, 23:33

I will have to agree with ratherton on rooney's second goal, the defender thought he "had" to take that first touch to get that shot but rooney just surprised everyone and took the shot, and if anything milan's goalie (don't know his name) thought that the shot would go far post, never near post, i think rooney totally either got lucky, or it was all skill. You tell me :wink:.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

Saibomb
Veteran Member

Post by Saibomb » 24 Apr 2007, 23:45

I don't think Dida should rely on where he "thinks" the player is gonna shoot, the defender did his job well blocking out a far post shot so it's the keepers job to cover near post and he didn't.

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 25 Apr 2007, 00:10

Fantastic match, bloody crazy coming from a Liverpudlian I know.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 25 Apr 2007, 00:23

Kaka's goals were fantastic. On the first one, to give the keeper no chance at a save from such a tight angle was stunning.

Looking back at the replay Dida looked plain foolish, but it was smart by Rooney to take it so early. Well done by Rooney but I don't think Dida did all he should have to make it difficult to score.

Even if Dida thought Rooney was going to shoot far post, then he should've forced him to shoot far post. It's much more difficult to put a ball across a keeper than to hit a straight shot to the near post.
Click it

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 25 Apr 2007, 00:58

i thought for sure Man U was going to have a tough, must win battle at milan, then all of a sudden, goal by rooney. i was pretty happy to say the least. hopefully some of the defenders come back by then and then it should be easy, considering we did this with a makeshift defense

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Post by AmericanFutballer » 25 Apr 2007, 01:06

Yes, i agree with everyone that dida screwed up on rooneys goal, but you have to admit, playing the ball far post would be a logical choice for the goalie to assume, even if its easier for a player to hit it straight there will always be an angle in which it will be harder for him to shoot, however, harder for the goalie to stop. Still, he definitely should have read that faster, as soon as he sees rooney take that leg back he should have read that he's not taking another step/touch...Also, the defender marking him really screwed up, i think, because he totally didn't see there was a shot from rooney, if he did i'm sure he would have done something extra than just running up to him and trying to force him off the ball...but whatever, i'm still excited that i was actually able to watch this game in florida on ESPN2! lol, i'm still so excited about that, and chelsea is on tomorrow too, can't wait to watch that :lol:.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 25 Apr 2007, 02:31

It was mad today, because when I was watching the match at school, I was shaking like none other. I was screaming MILAN!!! in my head constantly.

And then it hit me, we're playing the Chavs tomorrow :shock: :shock:.

kvsh
Sophomore Member

Post by kvsh » 25 Apr 2007, 11:59

i enjoyed the match thou i was soppurtin ac milan well i like milan more kaka's goals were great specially the second one he has great touch and dida saved a lot of shots but what i noticed is that dida never stands in good position sometimes he simply comes too front and his positioning is bad but anyway he is one of worlds best goalies by the way nesta did great job defending (did u guys see c.ronaldo cry :lol: i could see tears in his eyes :lol: )

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 25 Apr 2007, 12:01

We can discuss how Dida screwed up Smile , although he has been beaten near post many times in his career many crucial goals. I remembered Guily in the Champions League last year which Milan was knocked out, Henry in the World Cup which Brazil was knocked out, probably more I couldn't remember. I don't think he couldn't much about it, the Rooney shot was too powerful.

Ajc probably make a good point hitting the ball across the keeper to the far post would be much more difficult since it's farther. It's stupid or wise to cover the far post since on freekick, most occassion, the wall cover the near post and the keeper cover the far post. I'm not an expert but there is more reasons than covering the far post than saving higher curling shots.

Well Scholes is my man of the match, even though Rooney score two, remember the great pass for the equalizer? He definitely made the win possible.

Saibomb
Veteran Member

Post by Saibomb » 27 Apr 2007, 01:07

I think Milan wins 2-1 in Milan and that obviously means they advance to the final where they will play Chelsea. I think.

Viduka
Veteran Member

Post by Viduka » 27 Apr 2007, 16:32

Man utd defense was horendous. Man United are definately poor without ferdinand or vidic. Needless to say I was still cheering for them :D