Luis Garcia's goal vs Chelsea

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA

Should Luis Garcia's goal for Liverpool have counted?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 11

Gmore

I'd like to know what everyone's opinions are of the goal that sent Liverpool to Istanbul and Chelsea out of the Uefa Champions League. I personally think that it was not a goal and that the linesman should not have given it, because his vision was abstructed by Gallas.
GK – ?
RB – Fir _nev (if he chooses to return from retirement)
CB – jcdenton
LB – Sfspitfire23
RM – goldboots7
CM – dooglas
CM – robben12
LM – Rosario
AM – Gmore
CF – *yung-ital*
CF – Magicfeet

dooglas
Veteran Member

from what i saw of the replay it went in, but they never showed an on line view.
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

They dun have a camera posted in goal or above the crossbar... but no goal to me.

Wiseman_philosopher

Yeh, calculations have worked out that it wasn't in, but Liverpool's website has adjusted evidence showing that it was in apparently! It was actually something like 4.73 cm still in play.
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

Maradona
Veteran Member

One side of the ball has crossed in my opinion Liverpool constructed well their game and deserved to win but did you see Gudjohnsen's miss!?
The rules of soccer are very simple, basically it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn’t move, kick it until it does.

HJK

Maradona wrote:One side of the ball has crossed in my opinion Liverpool constructed well their game and deserved to win but did you see Gudjohnsen's miss!?
Luis Garcia goal was definitely a goal but did u see how close that Gudjohnsen attempt was near the end of the game?? that picture is down there if u didnt see the shot, it missed Drogba and the goal by an inch maybe less

Wiseman_philosopher

Wheres your evidence the ball crossed the line??? Both Sky and ITV indicated it didn't yet Liverpool FC website sed it did. suspicious :wink:
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

J
Admin

i definetely think it was in.

HJK

besides if that wasnt a goal then Liverpool wouldve gotten a PK and Cech would have been sent off

fir_nev

Luis Garcia quicly celebrated by hook or by crook so that they can take an early lead. I dun blame him, though. I once saw MISTA (I think) celebrating a goal when it is clearly not.

The ball was under the goalie's body and clearly before the line. Eventhough I'm a Valencia fan, it raised my eyebrows.

But put me in Luis Garcia's position, I'll celebrate too!!

Gmore

I can almost guarantee that Luis Garcia celebrated with the thought of persuading the referee. I have been told by a couple of good coaches to do that if you are out of the play and it is close to a goal.

And I do think that it should have been a penalty if Garcia had not scored. Baros was clearly in on goal and was brought down. But not a red card in a game like that when there is the chance that the player dove.
GK – ?
CB – jcdenton
LB – Sfspitfire23
RM – goldboots7
CM – dooglas
CM – robben12
LM – Rosario
AM – Gmore
CF – *yung-ital*
CF – Magicfeet

soccer11
Admin

I also think it was a goal. But i have a question. When derek rae, the announcer from espn says Luis Garcias name, doesnt it sound kind of like he's saying Luis Cartilla or somtin. Am I the only one whose noticed this? its been driving me crazy.

fir_nev

I was busy asking myself aloud,"was it IN? Was it IN??!"

Gmore

In Spain, a "c" is sometimes pronounced like a "th". So what you were hearing was "Luis Garthia". It is very annoying, especially for the south american spanish speakers, because only Spain does that.
GK – ?
CB – jcdenton
LB – Sfspitfire23
RM – goldboots7
CM – dooglas
CM – robben12
LM – Rosario
AM – Gmore
CF – *yung-ital*
CF – Magicfeet

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

i would have to see it again to know for sure, and i might not even then. the linesman must have had a pretty good view of it, otherwise he wouldn't have had enough evidence to call it a goal. the referees never make mistakes, right? :) ah, well i guess you can't blame chelsea's loss ALL on that goal. lampard and drogba should have finished it in the first game.
Hala Galacticos