Should Italy be rewarded with the Euro 2012 finals?

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

In the next few months, UEFA will decide who will host the Euro 2012 finals. Italy are probably the best of 3 bad choices; the others being joint bids between Poland/Ukraine and Croatia/Hungary.

The last weekend saw levels of violence which has meant that the authorities have threated to cancel all matches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 314949.stm

Add this to the scandal involving Juve, AC, Fiorentina as well as recent problems in Champions League matches with Roma and Inter, should Italy be rewarded by UEFA and chosen to host Euro 2012 ??

Mr Platini has got a lot of thinking to do.

Francis

Post

Italy needs to learn how to control themselves. Why would people risk their lives to go and watch a mtch thinking whether they are going to die afterwards or not. Or constantly looking behind their back to watch out for drunk guy with a bottle. Its not going to be successful. Why don't they give the competition to a country that needs the money. Italy certainly doesn't care about hosting a competition. They just proved it. It should go to one of the other countrys.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski
Posts: 6202
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 04:23
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post

No way!!! Not Italy!!

Poland/Ukraine!!

I'm from Polish descent so I seriously hope we get the tourney!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

KPatel
Moderator
Posts: 1052
Joined: 15 Jul 2006, 20:51

Post

Italy? No thanks...


Edit: This just on the Beeb, the President of Italian Football has threatened to halt all matches due to the violence occuring in recent days.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 314949.stm
Just another reason why not. Wreckless idiots.
Last edited by KPatel on 31 Jan 2007, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie
Posts: 3767
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 02:08
Location: Canada

Post

I agree, Poland/Ukraine should get it. I think it is the best course of action for Platini as people will be angry if Italy get's it, saying that it is only because that is where Platini is from.
Image

~Dynamic_Dinamo~
Senior Member
Posts: 189
Joined: 02 Aug 2006, 18:28
Location: Canada

Post

Hrvatska all the way!!!
gnarlyjim wrote:people will be angry if Italy get's it, saying that it is only because that is where Platini is from.
I'm pretty sure Platini is french lol so that shouldnt have much to do with it

gunnerz23
Veteran Member
Posts: 432
Joined: 26 Sep 2006, 11:20
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post

~Dynamic_Dinamo~,
Michel Platini is of Italian decendancy. His father was Italian. Also he played for Juve in Serie A
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry
Image

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

But the alternatives are even worse. The distance between Poland and Ukraine will mean a huge amount of travelling for supporters.

I'm not convinced that Croatia and Hungary have the stadia or organisational ability to handle such a big event. Based on what I saw in Zagreb a couple of months ago, the Croatias can't handle the big games.

In addition, there are plenty of problems of violence in all 4 of the other countries at football matches.

Francis

Post

but why can't they just chose some other country besides these 3 or 4? is there some kind of restriction. someone clear me up please

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

Francis wrote:but why can't they just choose some other country besides these 3 or 4? is there some kind of restriction. someone clear me up please
Applications for tournaments are put in many years in advance. There were a couple more applicants but this was narrowed down to this shortlist.

~Dynamic_Dinamo~
Senior Member
Posts: 189
Joined: 02 Aug 2006, 18:28
Location: Canada

Post

gunnerz23 wrote:Michel Platini is of Italian decendancy. His father was Italian. Also he played for Juve in Serie A
Thanks for clearing that up :o

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski
Posts: 6202
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 04:23
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post

Violence isn't much more of a problem in Poland/Ukraine then anywhere else in Europe. They have passionate fans aswell. Hooligans are everywhere, but I don't think violence in Poland/Ukraine should be too much of a problem. I hope they get it. Japan/Korea were separated by water, worse then just land. So I don't think distance will be too huge of a problem. The stadiums can be built up and I'm sure they will if chosen. My favourite club in Poland has just entirely renovated, and it looks swell. Also, Poland could really use this boost of economy.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

rzadzinski wrote:Violence isn't much more of a problem in Poland/Ukraine then anywhere else in Europe. They have passionate fans aswell. Hooligans are everywhere, but I don't think violence in Poland/Ukraine should be too much of a problem. I hope they get it. Japan/Korea were separated by water, worse then just land. So I don't think distance will be too huge of a problem. The stadiums can be built up and I'm sure they will if chosen. My favourite club in Poland has just entirely renovated, and it looks swell. Also, Poland could really use this boost of economy.
You obviously haven't been to a football match in Poland. If they do get it, I hope I don't have to go to Katowice again - horrible place.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie
Posts: 3767
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 02:08
Location: Canada

Post

ratherton wrote:
rzadzinski wrote:Violence isn't much more of a problem in Poland/Ukraine then anywhere else in Europe. They have passionate fans aswell. Hooligans are everywhere, but I don't think violence in Poland/Ukraine should be too much of a problem. I hope they get it. Japan/Korea were separated by water, worse then just land. So I don't think distance will be too huge of a problem. The stadiums can be built up and I'm sure they will if chosen. My favourite club in Poland has just entirely renovated, and it looks swell. Also, Poland could really use this boost of economy.
You obviously haven't been to a football match in Poland. If they do get it, I hope I don't have to go to Katowice again - horrible place.
Why? What happened in Katowice? Are we talking about violence in the stadium, violence after the game, or just violence on the streets in general? Someone clear me up on this?
Image

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

gnarlyjim wrote:
ratherton wrote:
rzadzinski wrote:Violence isn't much more of a problem in Poland/Ukraine then anywhere else in Europe. They have passionate fans aswell. Hooligans are everywhere, but I don't think violence in Poland/Ukraine should be too much of a problem. I hope they get it. Japan/Korea were separated by water, worse then just land. So I don't think distance will be too huge of a problem. The stadiums can be built up and I'm sure they will if chosen. My favourite club in Poland has just entirely renovated, and it looks swell. Also, Poland could really use this boost of economy.
You obviously haven't been to a football match in Poland. If they do get it, I hope I don't have to go to Katowice again - horrible place.
Why? What happened in Katowice? Are we talking about violence in the stadium, violence after the game, or just violence on the streets in general? Someone clear me up on this?
Katowice is a nasty horrible mining town in southern Poland. On the way to the stadium. Our convoy of buses guarded by police with shotguns was bricked by local fans. Inside the stadium, flares and seats were chucked around.

This was in 2004 and I've been told compared to our visits there in the 1990s - it was like a school picnic.

We stayed in the hotel bar that night.

Post Reply