Best soccer derbys

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
G-Unit-Freestyler

Post by G-Unit-Freestyler » 28 Oct 2006, 09:44

mpcarres14 wrote:
G-Unit-Freestyler wrote:England: Liverpool vs Chelsea
There is no way in hell that Liverpool vs. Chelsea is a great derby. First off, they are from completely different parts of England, so that discounts the whole derby aspect. Then when you examine the rivalry, there's nothing to it. The players don't hate each other. There is rarely a great deal of pride that goes to the victor. Rivalry? I think not. Their games are just the result of a coincidental pairing of these two "future of English football" teams (who, by the way, look a spitting image compared to the present day old duo of Arsenal and Man U) multiple times over the past couple of years.
They might not be derbies, but theres definantely rivalry between Chelsea and Liverpool players as well as the coach. Not to mention the fans that express their hatred toward Chelsea for trying to buy Gerrard away from Liverpool.

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

Post by gunnerz23 » 28 Oct 2006, 10:21

i agree with both of you guyz. they r in two totally different parts of england, however they hav definetly worked up a fierce modern day rivalry.
I enjoy watching chelsea/liverpool matches, however the score usually ends up being 0-0! lol
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 29 Oct 2006, 00:51

I don't know, I just don't see the same amount of hate in this derby as others. I mean, it's not like seeing Arsenal play Fulham or something like that, but the squads just seem too indifferent towards each other in these games. The only real spot of controversy is the CL "goal" in the 2005 semi-final, other than that, there isn't really any hatred between players, like with Arsenal vs. Man U, where there was always some sort of fight in every game, especially with Vieira.

God damn brewery!!!

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 29 Oct 2006, 09:07

mpcarres14 wrote:I don't know, I just don't see the same amount of hate in this derby as others. I mean, it's not like seeing Arsenal play Fulham or something like that, but the squads just seem too indifferent towards each other in these games. The only real spot of controversy is the CL "goal" in the 2005 semi-final, other than that, there isn't really any hatred between players, like with Arsenal vs. Man U, where there was always some sort of fight in every game, especially with Vieira.
There isn't real hate and it's not a derby. Very few modern players care enough to show real hate like they used to. They are more worried about money and their image.

For a real derby, you can only experience the whole thing by living in the area for a few weeks before the game. It's all the fans talk about about and the result is everything, the 3 points are irrelevant. TV and websites cannot transmit this emotion, you can only experience it properly if you are there.

Those of you who have been to a real derby match will know what I mean.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

Post by gunnerz23 » 29 Oct 2006, 11:05

the el classico derby between barca and real madrid and the derby between boca and river plate r two of the biggest rivalries in modern day football if u ask me.

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 03 Dec 2006, 22:35

Inter v Milan is probably the best today if you asked me. The reason the match is always so intense, that nothing is between them. The other derby are somewhat one-sided.

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 04 Dec 2006, 15:15

Merseyside Derby (Liverpool Vs. Everton) At Anfield :wink:

G-Unit-Freestyler

Post by G-Unit-Freestyler » 04 Dec 2006, 18:28

mpcarres14 wrote: Arsenal vs. Man U
Arsenal vs Manchester has lost it after the departure of Roy Keane and Viera. Even the coaches of both teams admitted they missed seeing the midfield battles.

potato
New User

Post by potato » 24 Jan 2007, 05:00

there's so many rivalries and so many origins in European football it gets extremely confusing, maybe if you lived in these countries your support roots right down your ancestry. I beleive the derby in Glasgow with Celtic against the Rangers is one the fiercest rivalries in the world (maybe even in any sport). You can say the same thing about Boca Juniors and River Plate

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

Post by gunnerz23 » 24 Jan 2007, 09:20

How about Flamengo vs Sao Paulo? In the brazilian league.
Thats a hardcore rivaly.

milanese
Veteran Member

Post by milanese » 25 Jan 2007, 01:20

Flamengo vs Fluminese

Flamengo vs Sao Paulo is sort of like Man U vs Arsenal.