quater-finals

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
maradona10
New User

quater-finals

Post by maradona10 » 26 Mar 2006, 00:02

this tuesday holds two of the four games in the quater-finals of the uefa champions league tourney. wednesday holds the other two.

arsenal vs juventus
benefica vs barcelona
internazionale vs villareal
lyon vs milan

i am eagerly looking foward to it. who is taking it all?
"Coaches can make you smarter. But no one can teach you to play." - Thierry Henry

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 26 Mar 2006, 19:38

i think this is barca's year. they went through chelsea like they were nothing (almost), and they can probably do the same to any team in europe. i think their biggest challengers will be either arsenal or juventus, whoever wins that tie.
Hala Galacticos

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 29 Mar 2006, 02:11

ARSENAL 2, JUVENTUS 0!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I can't believe that this is happening! First Madrid are dispatched with ease, and now Juve seem to be on the same road. During school today, I had so many butterflies in my stomach, because I could have sworn that Juve's physical approach would snuff Arsenal's attack. At 2:30, when I went to the computer lab to "do some work" I was about to have ulcers from all the stress, I would have imagined. But when I saw Arsenal 1 up, it made my day great.

The thing about this victory is that it was so filled with irony. Vieira coming back to Highbury right after the transfer was just the start of it. When Fabregas, Vieira's replacement, opened the scoring, one knew something was special about this night. Then, when Henry scored yet again against his old club, that capped it off. The best of it was that Vieira left Highbury to win the CL, and then his team were stomped on by Arsenal.

Barca 0, Benfica 0
I didn't see this game, but from what I understood, this wasn't the most exciting of games. Barca were aparently flat, could this be the start of an upset? Probably not, but soccer is a wierd game...

I personally cannot wait for the AC Milan: Lyon game. Tomorrow brings more great footie!

To answer your question, after these past few results, I can't help but think that Arsenal will do it. However, it depresses me that if they will do it, they will be labeled as the new Liverpool. The way Arsenal and Liverpool have won so far is completely different. Arsenal have blown away all competition, unsettling 2 of the biggest clubs in the world while sharing the best group record with Lyon. They also have gone 7 games without conceding. If they hold Juve at Italy, they would have broken AC Milan's clean sheet record for the CL. Meanwhile, Liverpool barely got through games against Juve, Chelsea, and AC Milan last year. There seems to be a huge difference to me.

For me the dream final would be Barca/Arsenal. The two best attacking sides in the world squaring off with nothing to lose. Just the thought of it gets me thrilled.

God damn brewery!!!

J
Admin

Post by J » 29 Mar 2006, 02:41

mpcarres14 wrote: The best of it was that Vieira left Highbury to win the CL, and then his team were stomped on by Arsenal.
I know man, you gotta love it :D . I didn't get to see the game but I was very happy when I saw that score. I actually wasn't all that suprised though.

englishplayer

Post by englishplayer » 29 Mar 2006, 02:45

I saw Henry's goal but I didn't really get to see much of the game. Looks like Juventes started getting a little bit more rough towards the end of the game. I hope that Arsenal will be able to advance and win it all but they still have a little ways to go.

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 29 Mar 2006, 03:41

You know whats ironic? For the first goal it was Vieira that was disposesed by Pires before the action developed and Fabregas netted the goal.

interista

Post by interista » 29 Mar 2006, 11:58

i saw the barca benfica game last night. it wasnt that interesting though barca messed up a thousand times in front of the goal. i really cant believe arsenal beat juve though :shock: i thought juventus would wwin for sure.

i cant wait to see the inter-villareal tonight, im cheering for inter all the way. im a huge inter fan.
Thanks jthursto for the sig

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 30 Mar 2006, 02:32

mpcarres14 wrote:Barca 0, Benfica 0
I didn't see this game, but from what I understood, this wasn't the most exciting of games.
it was actually not a typical 0-0 game. eto'o, deco, iniesta, and van bommel ALL could have easily had goals. benfica made a lot of mistakes in the first half. they came to life in the second though, and really made a good showing. maretto (benfica's keeper) had an amazing game. well, i guess that's what you would say if you ignored the fact that most of the shots he faced were made from his own mistakes :roll: . seriously though, he played very well. i think the second leg should be very interesting. also, the way benfica took ronaldinho out of it was very effective. i REALLY hope barca lose, and the way they played in the first leg, they very well may.
Hala Galacticos

steve-0
Veteran Member

Post by steve-0 » 17 Apr 2006, 21:54

i hope arsenal wins it this year. they're too good of a team not to.