Wales 0 - England 2

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
panchester07
Veteran Member

A few questions...

Why no Lennon/Walcott? Not even in the bench
Why does Rooney kind of suck for England? but with the red and white jersey on play exelent?
Why didn't England rape Wales 0-5?
How on earth does a team like this struggle? Like this meaning best players in the world, best fans in the world, and a magnificent manager?

Thats about it for now..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Walcott is injured(ankle).

as for all the other stuff, it's hard to say. I think Rooney's form is a bit deceiving because he had a very hot club season last year/cold world cup/and somewhat of a down season this year imo. I guess it's all based on the point of reference from last season though, which sets the benchmark for those English fans that demand nothing but the best.

Wales didn't really even appear to be interested and it was a tough game to watch. Ramsey had a good chance in the 2nd but really, they just weren't even close to being on par with the England squad today.

I think it boils down the mix really. I thought Wilshere + Parker in the MF looked great today and I hope that's somewhat the direction forward for England. I personally think Lamps has the same problem as Rooney when it comes to club and country. If it wasn't for PK's....Lamps wouldn't have a ton to do in this side imo. I think the expectations on England are enormous, which will always set you up for failure given their previous track record in the last 50ish years. The 1966 WC only puts them within the company of other nations that have only won one WC. I'm not saying they are a bad squad at all, it's just there is the same situation year in and out regarding the squad. If I have time, I'll try to type up the excerpt from the book Soccernomics regarding his theory on the England NT.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

To be fair they seem to have won the game in the first 15 minutes, what do you expect?

Secondly you could fill hundreds of pages listing the names of players whose international form does not match their club form, every nation in the world will have players that fall into this category.

Finally to say that England have the best fans in the world shows your somewhat lacking in knowledge. :roll:

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

panchester07
Veteran Member

ScottyBoy wrote:To be fair they seem to have won the game in the first 15 minutes, what do you expect?
Maybe to keep playing at the same intensity, like Germany, or Holland did :roll:
Secondly you could fill hundreds of pages listing the names of players whose international form does not match their club form, every nation in the world will have players that fall into this category
I'm just saying Wayne's body language isn't the same, he walks in the pitch, and doesn't sacrifice as much as he does in Man Utd, and there's a notable difference. Can't be the first person to say it? Even if all other players do so, 2 wrongs don't make a right.. Wayne doesn't seem as motivated to play for the 3 lions, other players might not fit into the system of their national teams, like Messi, but you can't doubt Lio busts his ball with Argentina.. Wayne seems like he's just going through the motions..
Finally to say that England have the best fans in the world shows your somewhat lacking in knowledge.
So sorry, who do you think the best fans are? Rangers fans? :wink:

I'm probably wrong, but they seem to follow their national team wherever they go, and seem pretty faithful to me. In this match, in the second half you could hear loud and clear the england anthem, just like if they where playing in Wembley, and the fanatics where being loud as hell, even though there team clearly didn't deserve it at the moment ....
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

ratherton
Veteran Member

I was there yesterday and it was men against boys. As ScottyBoy says, it was over in 15 minutes. It would have been nice to go out and rack up a few goals but they did what they had too. Goal difference isn't an issue for the group standings as I think we're about 5 goals better than Montenegro. Our last game is in Montenegro, so assuming we match results until then, we'll only need a draw (not that I don't think we could beat them if necessary).

Rooney didn't have a great game but he's not been playing that well for Man Utd.

I thought Parker, Wiltshire, Bent and Young all did really well. They also had good games in the friendly in Denmark last month so it would seem that friendly had a lot of value.

Lampard has done well for England but I would imagine he will drop out when Gerrard is fit. Walcott has been excellent this season and will probably come in for Rooney for the next qualifier against Switzerland as Rooney is suspended.

So ScottyBoy, who are the best fans if not England? Scotland? Your lot couldn't sell out the Emirates against Brazil. Wembley is a sell out for Tuesday against Ghana.

soccer11
Admin

ScottyBoy wrote:Secondly you could fill hundreds of pages listing the names of players whose international form does not match their club form, every nation in the world will have players that fall into this category.
And some whose club form doesn't match their International form. Miroslav Klose anyone? :P

I watched most of the England game yesterday. I was really impressed with Wilshere. He's so smooth. Once he becomes used to his teammates more and becomes more comfortable, he'll be great.
Lampard has done well for England but I would imagine he will drop out when Gerrard is fit. Walcott has been excellent this season and will probably come in for Rooney for the next qualifier against Switzerland as Rooney is suspended.
That's assuming Capello doesn't make the same mistakes of England managers past and decide to keep playing those two together, especially now that there's a better option.

styale18

It seems like it took Capello long to realize how good Scott Parker is. He's the best English CDM at the moment.
Also, does anyone realize how bad Milner got since he joined City?

TommyGun
Veteran Member

styale18 wrote:It seems like it took Capello long to realize how good Scott Parker is. He's the best English CDM at the moment.
Also, does anyone realize how bad Milner got since he joined City?
I think Barry and Milner were both big fish in a small pond at AV. He doesn't play regularly with City, especially when they play the 2 DMF's. AJ is very effective on the right and Silva can play right/center/left so it doesn't really leave him an automatic spot if Yaya is playing through the center. Kolorav has started playing LMF on the regular so Milner fights SwP for sub appearances these days.