Round of 16 UCL

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

bla bla bla bla good job, a blooper, offside goal, near misses by barcelona, you guys got fired up, and won 2-1

do you have any idea of how much being home and away weighs in profesional football?

If barcelona had 5-6 sitters in emirates, how many do you think they will have in camp nou.. ? 8-9? maybe more..

Barcelona outplayed you for big periods of the game in your stadium, they will be much better in camp nou...fact..
If you don't think we were a better team yesterday, I defer you to the score line.
Of course, the scoreline is the almight truth about what happened in a game.. A team has never won 1-0 to a much better team that simply coudn't finish? Ever. :roll:

If the offside things happens every weekend, then a lying scoreline happens everyday in football

Just leave it like that...you weren't better, nor was barca, it was an exellent high level, divided match that could have gone either way, but FACE THE TRUTH, it was on YOUR ground... don't expect to be able to play Barcelona that way in the Camp Nou, open your eyes.. if barcelona had 5 sitters and a dissalowed goal in your stadium, with your fans, in a foreign country to them where they haven't train/played in a year, try going to their stadium, to their coutnry, with they're people where they destroy teams week-in, week out... Just be realistic.. If Man Utd won 2-1 in Old Trafford, I would be happy, but I would surely be worried of the second leg in camp nou, because they could have been up by 3 in the first half if you count the chances they had...its a law that they will have more in nou camp, and play better-
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

TommyGun
Veteran Member
Posts: 413
Joined: 23 Apr 2010, 02:29

Post

panchester07 wrote:bla bla bla bla good job, a blooper, offside goal, near misses by barcelona, you guys got fired up, and won 2-1

do you have any idea of how much being home and away weighs in profesional football?

If barcelona had 5-6 sitters in emirates, how many do you think they will have in camp nou.. ? 8-9? maybe more..

Barcelona outplayed you for big periods of the game in your stadium, they will be much better in camp nou...fact..
If you don't think we were a better team yesterday, I defer you to the score line.
Of course, the scoreline is the almight truth about what happened in a game.. A team has never won 1-0 to a much better team that simply coudn't finish? Ever. :roll:

If the offside things happens every weekend, then a lying scoreline happens everyday in football
I'm not saying that being at home isn't an advantage, and hell, if I lost I'd love to fast forward to the next leg as well. It's the easier way to deal with it and not reflect on the negative. It's the same way we dealt with the Barca tie in general. NO ONE expects us to pull this out. NO ONE. Even if it's close, it's much better than anyone predicted. You think people were predicting Bayern and Inter in the group stage last year? Nope.

You're missing the point. They are sitters for a reason, you should finish them. If you can't put away sitters, you don't deserve the win. Chances count for nothing if you don't put them away.

I love how people claim to have a window into the future. Fact is, it was 75/1 odds yesterday for Villa/Pedro/Messi to score first and Arsenal to win 2-1. No one saw that coming, and to simply predict a scoreline on past performances is careless and dangerous. Barca haven't played the side we currently feild, while we were missing Sagna(one of the(if not the) best RB's in the EPL right now.


Success is determined by dominance. Dominance is a by-product of winning. If you don't win, how can you really consider yourself the "better" team on the day. We allowed you to play your+our game(possession) and we converted our chances.

If you don't think there are offside goals counting and onside goals not, I implore you to watch more football. I don't think a weekend has escaped me that I haven't seen at least one from highlights of La Liga, EPL, Serie A, or Ligue 1. You'll be searching a very long time to find a perfectly officiated game.


To your EDIT:

LOL at thrashing La Liga teams on the regular. You're a strong side at home(as should be anyone) but I think it's arrogance/that line of thinking that bit you yesterday in the 2nd half. Just look at the subs if you need further proof on how you wanted to just buckle down for a 1-0 result. Being at Camp Nou is cool and all, but if your missing Puyol(maybe) and Pique(def)....you're welcoming an away goal.
Image

nick117
Veteran Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 23:14

Post

Eh re looked at it, it's so close i understand how the ref could have made the mistake 1 step forward and he would have been off and at that speed his next step was like half a second after it was shot.

also like tommy said if barca miss pique and puyol their defense is shot they don't have another defender i see as a leader or who makes it that hard on attackers.
Last edited by nick117 on 17 Feb 2011, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 15:39

Post

I think Arsenal are the first team to truely defeat barca this season. Other games like Herules and Rubin etc could be argued that barca were not trying 100% because of the lack of significance of the match. Last night barca played the strongest 11 available to them and were clearly playing at 100% (effort wise) Fortunate or not Arsenal won.

I think Guardiola's inexperience of tactical games showed last night, when Iniesta was taken out of the centre their passing suffered.

In the words of Mourinho when Inter beat barca. We showed how to win a football match without the ball.
Image

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

ajc
The Philly Flyer
Posts: 3094
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 02:08
Location: Delaware, USA

Post

Jeez panch, if you are so confident that Barca will win the tie then why do feel it is necessary to post so many excuses/explanations/'whatever you wanna call them' about the result yesterday?

I agree with Scottyboy- typically in any match Barcelona play, even if they lose there is still a clear gap in class between the two teams. Arsenal played the way they wanted to play and matched up well with Barca offensively and defensively. It's impossible to totally limit Barca from getting any chances but Arsenal did a fine job. When they did get caught ball watching Barca punished them with the goal (as you'd expect when facing a team of such quality).

Arsenal showed that they have the capability to play a passing game with Barcelona. They certainly have the ability to go into Camp Nou and come out with a draw. Sure I'd still consider them underdogs to go through, but you've got to admit Arsenal played very well yesterday and have the potential to win the tie.

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

Panch please be quiet...I support Barca and even I think that Arsenal were the better team...

1. Barcelona were better in the first half, but they came out looking like a team who thought they had won the game. Massive mistake when you are 1-0 up away from home.

2. Barcelona never really settled properly into their passing game, Arsenal were actually really effective at using Barca's tactics of closing down the man on the ball with multiple players, and because of that they broke up Barca's rhythm.

3. Arsenal were (slightly) more efficient with their chances. Luck or no luck, you have to be able to finish chances to be a top side.

4. Arsenal played to their game of smash and grab counter attacking football very well, and it worked for them far better than the possession game was working for Barcelona.

5. The goal was on-side. There is no doubt about it. Messi was never off side even when the ball came back off pedro. Anyone who suggests he was off needs to go and look at video evidence again because it was proven by the pundits afterwards.

6. Arsenal may have been better last night, but the tie will be a completely different affair at the Camp Nou. I still think Barcelona will beat Arsenal and go through, but I'm not guaranteeing anything, because if you know anything what so ever about football, it is that you never know exactly what will happen, no matter how likely the expected result becomes.

styale18
Senior Member
Posts: 140
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 23:51

Post

no panchester stop talking ur just tight. Barca dominated the first half but there werent really that many clear cut chances. Arsenal closed down well and limited messi in the second half. They deserved the win no doubt and are missing players for the second leg while arsenal may get their best defender back.

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

Haha, to be fair Arsenal were really good, and they deserve mad respect for not respecting Barca like other teams like Madrid did.. They played like equals and counterattack sweet..

All i wanted to say is that 2-1 might mean many things, it might mean that a team was better, way better, that a team got lucky, or whatever, the scoreline isn't clear all the time in football..

I'm just saying that the game could have gone eitherway a 1-2 for Barca wouldn't have been entirely un fair, or would a 1-1 .. Or a 2-2, as the 2-1 isn't unfair either....

When Arsenal tied I thought that stadium was gonna fall down, everybody was up and singing, and Arsenal got inspired.. The 2-1 goal was almost the perfect counterattack.. EXELLENT through ball by fabregas like 40 meter pass.. it was obvious they had been practicing something of the sort..

Messi wanted to score so much in England, he forgot about his teammates..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post

Personally am kinda glad that Barca are trailing 1-2 at half time. That's like the best result overall for the first leg. If twas 3-0, barca players would go into the second leg thinking meh. And second leg wouldnt be as exciting for the supporters.

Drawing 2-2 would mean Barca knowing they hav the away goal advantage, resulting in comfort zone, which really isnt that good. Trailing 1-3 would be abit tedious mentally, but trailing 1-2, would mean Barca hav that urgency to get a goal, which is the best mentality to have.

A general kick up the ass is good too, leaves Barca in good mental state for the latter games of the season(La Liga etc, not just Arsenal). It usually goes wrong when your head gets too big(see Torres), so brought down to earth is a good thing.

Barca lost coz they were content at 1-0. While Arsenal were focused on scoring. And same reason Barca will win, coz they will be the ones now focused on scoring.

Also Arsenal are not Inter..Wenger is not Mourinho, Kocelny is not Samuel, Song is not Cambiasso, and Arsenal's second central defender(forgot who hehe) is not Lucio. Arsenal are Paris Hilton compared with Inter's defence, so it'll prob be at least 1-0 at the Camp Nou.

As for the claims that Arsenal dominated..haha lol..

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

Also Arsenal are not Inter..Wenger is not Mourinho, Kocelny is not Samuel, Song is not Cambiasso, and Arsenal's second central defender(forgot who hehe) is not Lucio. Arsenal are Paris Hilton compared with Inter's defence, so it'll prob be at least 1-0 at the Camp Nou.
factt!!!! seconded!!! people need to open them eyes up nice and widee
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

TommyGun
Veteran Member
Posts: 413
Joined: 23 Apr 2010, 02:29

Post

Wanderer wrote:Personally am kinda glad that Barca are trailing 1-2 at half time. That's like the best result overall for the first leg. If twas 3-0, barca players would go into the second leg thinking meh. And second leg wouldnt be as exciting for the supporters.

Drawing 2-2 would mean Barca knowing they hav the away goal advantage, resulting in comfort zone, which really isnt that good. Trailing 1-3 would be abit tedious mentally, but trailing 1-2, would mean Barca hav that urgency to get a goal, which is the best mentality to have.

A general kick up the ass is good too, leaves Barca in good mental state for the latter games of the season(La Liga etc, not just Arsenal). It usually goes wrong when your head gets too big(see Torres), so brought down to earth is a good thing.

Barca lost coz they were content at 1-0. While Arsenal were focused on scoring. And same reason Barca will win, coz they will be the ones now focused on scoring.

Also Arsenal are not Inter..Wenger is not Mourinho, Kocelny is not Samuel, Song is not Cambiasso, and Arsenal's second central defender(forgot who hehe) is not Lucio. Arsenal are Paris Hilton compared with Inter's defence, so it'll prob be at least 1-0 at the Camp Nou.

As for the claims that Arsenal dominated..haha lol..
This is for the bolded part. Djourou, the CB you forgot, has the longest unbeaten streak(26 games) of any individual player in the EPL....dating back to last year. You're right, he's not Lucio. He's actually making the current Lucio look like a chump. That's all.


dominating the game =/= winning the game, I know. I'll gladly take the win every single time though.
Image

nick117
Veteran Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 23:14

Post

If both pique any puyol are out barca could score but they could easily eat 3 more goals against them if arsenal go at them.

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post

Not really, see Barca defending is different to other team defending. Other team defend by having good defenders. Barca defend by having the ball, their philospohy is opposition cant score without the ball, while other teams philosophy is opposition cant score if we have a good defence.

Was evident during the game last nite. Barca rely on possesion to defend, resulting in them conceding when the Xaviesta duo is split. Its no coincidence that once Iniesta moved to the left wing, Barca looked more weaker defensively, and Arsenal looked more dangerous in attack.

Messi dropped even deeper in midfield to help keep possesion, resulting in their final third attack weakening. Add to that Villa being taken out, and you only have one option(Pedro) in the final third. And since Barca's strength is movement and options in the final third, it could be said they were considerably weakened.

Point is tho, that unlike other teams, Barca dont rely on defenders to defend, so having a defender out wont weaken their defence. Its when they cant keep the ball, that their defence become weaker and more likelier to concede.

So as long as Xavi Iniesta Messi triangle stays, prob be no worries in defence.

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post

TommyGun wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Personally am kinda glad that Barca are trailing 1-2 at half time. That's like the best result overall for the first leg. If twas 3-0, barca players would go into the second leg thinking meh. And second leg wouldnt be as exciting for the supporters.

Drawing 2-2 would mean Barca knowing they hav the away goal advantage, resulting in comfort zone, which really isnt that good. Trailing 1-3 would be abit tedious mentally, but trailing 1-2, would mean Barca hav that urgency to get a goal, which is the best mentality to have.

A general kick up the ass is good too, leaves Barca in good mental state for the latter games of the season(La Liga etc, not just Arsenal). It usually goes wrong when your head gets too big(see Torres), so brought down to earth is a good thing.

Barca lost coz they were content at 1-0. While Arsenal were focused on scoring. And same reason Barca will win, coz they will be the ones now focused on scoring.

Also Arsenal are not Inter..Wenger is not Mourinho, Kocelny is not Samuel, Song is not Cambiasso, and Arsenal's second central defender(forgot who hehe) is not Lucio. Arsenal are Paris Hilton compared with Inter's defence, so it'll prob be at least 1-0 at the Camp Nou.

As for the claims that Arsenal dominated..haha lol..
This is for the bolded part. Djourou, the CB you forgot, has the longest unbeaten streak(26 games) of any individual player in the EPL....dating back to last year. You're right, he's not Lucio. He's actually making the current Lucio look like a chump. That's all.


dominating the game =/= winning the game, I know. I'll gladly take the win every single time though.
thats the team effort tbh..for the defence, Im sure Inter's didnt concede 4 goals in a league match in one half.

nick117
Veteran Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 23:14

Post

they do defend differently however on the counter attack puyol and pique have saved them more than once.

Post Reply