Round of 16 UCL

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
ajc
The Philly Flyer

Wow that is terrific news for gunners fans that Van Persie is being included in the squad and may even start. It's a blow having Song ruled out but Diaby has the potential to fill that role and do a decent job. I do NOT want to see Denilson play any part in this game. He was awful against Sunderland. I think it is definitely safe to assume Fabregas will play. It appears Arsenal will have a much stronger team out for this match than most thought they would a week ago!

TommyGun
Veteran Member

ajc wrote:Wow that is terrific news for gunners fans that Van Persie is being included in the squad and may even start. It's a blow having Song ruled out but Diaby has the potential to fill that role and do a decent job. I do NOT want to see Denilson play any part in this game. He was awful against Sunderland. I think it is definitely safe to assume Fabregas will play. It appears Arsenal will have a much stronger team out for this match than most thought they would a week ago!
Yeah, def feel better now but it's dependent on RvP's level. I think Diaby would be the right choice but others have said that Denilson fits better in the UCL play vs. EPL. I'm not really sure how someone can say that because he seems so slow on the ball + ALWAYS looking to pass back or laterally. The only threat he presents is a shot/volley off of a rebound from a corner, that's it. I think we'lll do a 4-2-3-1 with Jack/Diaby at DFM roles. Cesc will play center and could easily switch with Diaby if we have trouble moving it out of the back on the counter. I think that'll leave Cesc/Arsh/Nasri in the 3 MF's and I'm not sure who will be our striker to start. It really just depends on RvP's overall fitness.

klc123
Veteran Member

The article was saying that RVP has made a surprise recovery in the last few days, and that today he was taking part in full training with the rest of the squad and is supposedly match fit. This is going to be a much tougher match than I was expecting, and I never expected a walk over.

The only thing that could make it worse now is if Xavi gets injured in training or Walcott decides to have a miracle as well...

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

miricle my arse. Of course he was injured but i'll bet the whole time he's been aiming to return for this game. its just been kept quiet because anouncing it 48 hours before the game is a big positive story to give Arsenal more hope and take attention off the game.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

ScottyBoy wrote:miricle my arse. Of course he was injured but i'll bet the whole time he's been aiming to return for this game. its just been kept quiet because anouncing it 48 hours before the game is a big positive story to give Arsenal more hope and take attention off the game.
It's funny how Wenger's comment was so off the cuff when they asked him if this was a mind game.

Wenger: "He has made quick progress. It it no mind game. I am not good at those." srs

It's not smart but I could see RvP wanting to play through a little pain to prove himself. He's missed a ton of action from injuries and this 2nd leg was his chance to establish his worth to Arsenal+himself. I'm fine with it as long as his leg doesn't snap off and it potentially could cost us points in the league down the stretch.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Kinda hope that Arsenal plays their full strength team tho. Then they will have no excuses when they're beaten. Barca usually turn it on in the home leg, and with the trio of XaNieSi, Arsenal could put out the invincibles team of 03/04 and still get beat by a few goals.

Ppl talk bout Barca missing PuPi but they did too in the home leg last year when Arsenal got thrashed, so it's no worries. Dont think Messi will run riot this time tho, more probably Dabid Beeya. Messi will play a deeper creative role I think.

shahensha
Veteran Member

ScottyBoy wrote:Abidal, Mascherano or buscuits at centre back, And your 100% Barca will win? Just because they play for barca doesnt make them better players or allow them to be amongst the best in the world at unfamiliar postions. They are all average to poor at centre back compared to the first choices.

Asenal play against better CB paiings evey week and win (only when Fabregas plays :P )

Yes barca are amazing going forward but would you bet against Arsenal scoring? They could... easily.

Of course barca always have the ability to crush Arsenal but there are also a number of realistic possibilities that result in Arsenal going through
Well I have no worries about Abidal because he has consistently been the most reliable player in CB for a while now........as for Mascherano and Biscuit, I am not saying a clean sheet is guaranteed, but there is a good chance of winning (not 100%)......ESPECIALLY considering Milito is not playing. Milito was good enough to face arsenal last year but he has taken a turn for the worse now.

I promise you though, if Milito is chosen over those two, despite him being an actual CB for many years, I am just gonna turn off the tele and wish the best of luck to gunners and hope they go all the way to wembley :lol:

Lastly, I have faith Barca will win, but it wont be a blow-out like last year, that is for sure. If anything, it will be a nerve wracking fixture and I am gonna get higher than an astronaut's ass in space for this one :P

we can qualify if its 1-0 or as long as there is +2 goals scored against Arsenal

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Arsenal's only saving grace is to attack and score goals while still defending/pressing high. If we score 1, Barca need 2 to stay alive. If we score 2, Barca need 4 to advance. If we score 3, they need 5 to advance. That's all we can focus on so we don't get in a situation were it's they score a couple early goals and defend a lead.

I truly think Bendtner will start over RvP, but RvP will make a 2nd half appearance. Our transitions will be important but I'm sure Barca doesn't want to be caught on the counter either so it should be a tentative game from the start from both sides.

EDIT: RvP getting the start + Rosicky starts over Arshavin.

Adriano starts over Maxwell.

soccer11
Admin

This game's starting to get physical. Should be an interesting 2nd half.
van Persie's such an idiot. Dani Alves deserves a good shot to the face, but if you're going to hit him, at least make it count.

Oh look, Barcelona scored. Now it should really be an interesting 2nd half.

edit: What a piss poor call. I didn't hear the whistle until after van Persie kicked it away.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

^ only one second elapsed between the whistle and RvP's shot. We weren't destined to win missing Walcott + Song. We needed the speed on the wings and needed some support in the center(like Song would have provided). Bendtner's final touch was sooo close on that last chance but it's just not meant to be. WS might be out for the rest of the season if it's a tendon issue. Fabregas' backheel ruined it for me. Focus on the league is the plan now.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Martin Tyler stated that a member of his broadcasting staff determined that one second had elapsed between the whistle blowing and Van Persie kicking the ball. In a stadium of 90,000+ screaming, whistling fans, that is worthy of a second yellow? Disgraceful refereeing.

You can't expect any team to get a result at the Nou Camp with calls like that happening. Granted, Barca may have deserved a penalty earlier in the match, but I'd still have liked Arsenal's chances better if that spot kick had been given and Barca picked up an early goal and the referee hadn't made another blatantly wrong decision reducing the Gunners to ten men with 35 minutes to play.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Well no surprises there. Barca winning as usual. The van persie thing was abit of a poor call balanced out by the first leg poor decisions that Barca got. Also Kosecielny was lucky not to get a second yellow, and Djorou was lucky not to concede a penalty for fouling Messi in first half.

Arsenal got totally outplayed anyway. 20 shots to 0. and 4 times the total passes. Got what was coming. Nice to see Fabregas impressing for his future team tho lol.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Wanderer wrote:Well no surprises there. Barca winning as usual. The van persie thing was abit of a poor call balanced out by the first leg poor decisions that Barca got. Also Kosecielny was lucky not to get a second yellow, and Djorou was lucky not to concede a penalty for fouling Messi in first half.

Arsenal got totally outplayed anyway. 20 shots to 0. and 4 times the total passes. Got what was coming. Nice to see Fabregas impressing for his future team tho lol.
No....didn't balance out anything. I'd rather allowed an offside goal and keep the 11th man. The call was completely subjective, so consider it a gift.

Do you know how many shots came after the sending off? Exactly.

Fabregas's backheel made me want to rage so hard. If Bendtner puts in that last chance, we aren't even having this conversation. That's how close the tie was...so gtfo with that "Barca winning as usual" bs.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

TommyGun wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Well no surprises there. Barca winning as usual. The van persie thing was abit of a poor call balanced out by the first leg poor decisions that Barca got. Also Kosecielny was lucky not to get a second yellow, and Djorou was lucky not to concede a penalty for fouling Messi in first half.

No....didn't balance out anything. I'd rather allowed an offside goal and keep the 11th man. The call was completely subjective, so consider it a gift.

Fabregas's backheel made me want to rage so hard. If Bendtner puts in that last chance, we aren't even having this conversation. That's how close the tie was...so gtfo with that "Barca winning as usual" bs.
lol at Arsenal fans gettin so wind up. If you really wanna get into detail, if Barca hadnt had 2 bad decisions gone against them in the first leg, it would have been 3-2. Add to that the first half non penalty and Barca would be 4-2 up. You really think 11 men Arsenal wouldve made a diff?

Arsenal fans were all over the place after the first leg sayin that Barca shouldnt make any excuses and sh*t happens and blah blah blah. Well, karma for Arsenal, sh*t happens. And the yellow might have been harsh, but if Van Persie wasnt bein a tit in slappin Alves he wouldnt hav been sent off, so only has himself to blame.

As for Bendtner missing chances. That's in Arsenals blood. Watch Birmingham game, or even Sunderland game for recent examples.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Wanderer wrote:
TommyGun wrote:

lol at Arsenal fans gettin so wind up. If you really wanna get into detail, if Barca hadnt had 2 bad decisions gone against them in the first leg, it would have been 3-2. Add to that the first half non penalty and Barca would be 4-2 up. You really think 11 men Arsenal wouldve made a diff?

Arsenal fans were all over the place after the first leg sayin that Barca shouldnt make any excuses and sh*t happens and blah blah blah. Well, karma for Arsenal, sh*t happens. And the yellow might have been harsh, but if Van Persie wasnt bein a tit in slappin Alves he wouldnt hav been sent off, so only has himself to blame.

As for Bendtner missing chances. That's in Arsenals blood. Watch Birmingham game, or even Sunderland game for recent examples.
I said it before and I'll say it again, take the goal but give us back our 11th. Then let's play the last 24 mins + extra. You remember the score at the 56', right?

lol at you trying to wind me up over some sh*t that has nothing to do with this game. Again, we wouldn't even have this conversation if that chance is converted. We didn't have to win the game, just match the performance on the score sheet allowing for the away goal.