Round of 16 UCL

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
panchester07
Veteran Member

Puyol will before back in 21 days..... It will be Dani - Abidal - Puyol - Maxwelll...Abidal was the best man Barca had on wednsday, Puyol is the natural leader, team captain and top 3 defenders of the world.....
thats the team effort tbh..for the defence, Im sure Inter's didnt concede 4 goals in a league match in one half.
Amen

This is for the bolded part. Djourou, the CB you forgot, has the longest unbeaten streak(26 games) of any individual player in the EPL
Who?

Wow, its the digimon, i'm sure they are shitting there pants in catalunya :roll:

Messi, ballon de or sound familiar?

Villa, Maravilla, top scorer in world cup, and european finals, 20+ goals in spanish league for like 4+ years..

Pedrito, world champion, scored on last 2 clasicos, total crack of a player

Xavi, best player of the european finals 2008, nominated for ballon d' or

Iniesta, scored in the world cup finals, beast, animal..

Who did you say you're player was? And what real argument does he have of stopping the tiki-taka?

They serve players like that for breakfast in Camp Nou son
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

TommyGun
Veteran Member

^ you two....at least be informed all around before passing judgments. JD came off injured while the scoreline was 4-0. The other 4 were Kos+Squa's doing. Go back to spewing your nonsense though, it's funny how little know about Arsenal yet seem to have it all figured out. Hell, I might just know just as much/if not more about Barcelona. Just saying, spread your knowledge to avoid situations like these.

All I'm saying is when JD is on the field, our team is unbeaten in 26 games and our D is much stronger. You don't have a player in the squad right now that you can say that is unbeaten on the field, thanks to us. Guess what, any draw takes us through.

EDIT:
panchester07 wrote:Puyol will before back in 21 days..... It will be Dani - Abidal - Puyol - Maxwelll...Abidal was the best man Barca had on wednsday, Puyol is the natural leader, team captain and top 3 defenders of the world.....
thats the team effort tbh..for the defence, Im sure Inter's didnt concede 4 goals in a league match in one half.
Amen

This is for the bolded part. Djourou, the CB you forgot, has the longest unbeaten streak(26 games) of any individual player in the EPL
Who?

Wow, its the digimon, i'm sure they are shitting there pants in catalunya :roll:

Villa, Maravilla, top scorer in world cup, and european finals, 20+ goals in spanish league for like 4+ years..

Who did you say you're player was? And what real argument does he have of stopping the tiki-taka?

I know the squad as I pay attention to ALL football....not just what can be viewed as "popular". I'm not a glory hunter, and I've supported Arsenal for 15 years. Everyone likes a winner, I get that. Barcelona has more fair-weather fans than Real Madrid, United, and Chelsea put together.

The subs killed you guys. Those subs alone showed you were trying to settled in for the result and not try for more. We didn't have to stop your tiki-taka, you did a great job stopping it yourselves.

All those accolades sound nice, but still doesn't change the facts. We let Barca maintain possession and punched harder on the counter. No amount of "he's won this and that" will change that. If you think it's going to be 3 or 4 to 0 at Camp Nou, I'm here to tell you you are wrong.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Whatever..

I'm not a barcelona follower, but im not blind either and i love good football, inter was "a winner" and not many jumped on that bandwagon... the thing about barca is they play beautiful football, thats why people love to watch it, but remind me what my team of preference has to do in this debate?

First thing first, trust me, it was delight watching Arsenal play yesterday, you are a team that plays football, a combination of possesion and counterattack, and do it very beautifully, very nice to watch, quick plays, wall passes, through balls, 40 yard passes, great skilled players, i have nothing against Arsenal

All I'm saying is you guys seem extremely overconfident just because you won 2-1 in the last 7 minutes.... Before the match many Arsenal fans didn't even trust there team, and thought the series was over... Congratulations, you beat Barca, not many teams do.. But a 2-1 is the shitiest lead you could have in football, especially if your going to Barcelona..

The way the game went down doesn't give me any type of confidence that Arsenal was the better side or that you have what it takes to obtain a positive result in Camp Nou...

All im challenging you to do, is to look BEYOND the scored...

Look at the actions of the game...

Did Arsenal really close down Barcelona enough?
Was Arsenal really getting clear chances? or was it the 2 goals and maybe on or two other shots?
Where the goals good goals, or where there key mistakes, very unlikely to happen again?
Was Arsenal not lucky a few times in the back?

I'm just saying, Switzerland did beat Spain 1-0 in the world cup, but who won the world cup? Obviously Arsenal played a better match than the swiss did in2010, but you get my point..

See, some people look at the score, but actually what you have to do is analyze the game, and watching evidence from the first game, try to imagine how it will be in the rival's ground...

Congratulations, valdes fu**ed up, congratulations the ref called a goal off, congratulations, Messi was inches away from the goal twice, congratulations the ref didn't see a handball in the box, congratulations, pedro missed a sitter...

You weren't better enough than Barcelona in your ground, to assume that you will be good enough in theirs to come out victorious.

Now, if you had 6-7 clear cut chances, if Barcelona struggled to create danger, if you controlled the match and did what you want with the ball, and you were clearly a better team, outplayed the rival for the majority of the game.. then i would say, jeez, this team looks like they can go to barcelona and pull a tie or an away win... but that wasn't the case..... at alll.....

Go ahead and start believing with the 2-1, you're an Arsenal fan after all, i just think its funny that after this really tight and close game, may already changed from "this tie is lost, we are ruled out", "we have solid chances of making it through bcasue we won 2-1 " I don't even think the Arsenal players think that :?

TommyGun
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:Whatever..

I'm not a barcelona follower, but im not blind either and i love good football, inter was "a winner" and not many jumped on that bandwagon... the thing about barca is they play beautiful football, thats why people love to watch it, but remind me what my team of preference has to do in this debate?

First thing first, trust me, it was delight watching Arsenal play yesterday, you are a team that plays football, a combination of possesion and counterattack, and do it very beautifully, very nice to watch, quick plays, wall passes, through balls, 40 yard passes, great skilled players, i have nothing against Arsenal

All I'm saying is you guys seem extremely overconfident just because you won 2-1 in the last 7 minutes.... Before the match many Arsenal fans didn't even trust there team, and thought the series was over... Congratulations, you beat Barca, not many teams do.. But a 2-1 is the shitiest lead you could have in football, especially if your going to Barcelona..
Us overconfident? That's what I've been accusing you of this whole time. I don't think saying we have a chance is being over-confident...I call that believing in our squad. Please find one statement I've made that makes us appear "over-confident". I've said this whole time we got a result better than anyone(including myself) could have hoped for.
The way the game went down doesn't give me any type of confidence that Arsenal was the better side or that you have what it takes to obtain a positive result in Camp Nou...

All im challenging you to do, is to look BEYOND the scored...

Look at the actions of the game...
Did Arsenal really close down Barcelona enough? In the first 15 minutes + MOST of the 2nd. We choked off most of the attack in the second. I'll admit 15 minutes - half time were ugly.
Was Arsenal really getting clear chances? or was it the 2 goals and maybe on or two other shots? We created chances within the first 10 minutes. Cesc flick to RvP that Valdes saved. Chances were created more-so in the 2nd as we pressed far more consistently during the 2nd. It's hard to create many chances when you don't have the ball(15-Half time, speaking).
Where the goals good goals, or where there key mistakes, very unlikely to happen again? A goal is a goal. You can blame Valdes for the 1st, but why bother? He had to hit that shot extremely hard and low to his near post to beat him...Valdes gambled on cross and lost. Valdes is by far your weakest link. Fantastic 1v1 shot stopper but no immune to mental mistakes. No hate, just how it is.
Was Arsenal not lucky a few times in the back? Arsenal were extremely luck at points. When you combo that luck with Barcelona's lack of finishing, it worked out perfectly for us. The difference is finishing. If Barcelona would have, we wouldn't even be having this debate.
I'm just saying, Switzerland did beat Spain 1-0 in the world cup, but who won the world cup? Obviously Arsenal played a better match than the swiss did in2010, but you get my point..
Very few teams are going to be perfect through the group stage of the WC, as that's when you tinker(if needed). There's no tweaking a club side in the CL, as it's already set in stone. You played the strongest side you had available, as did we. Spain had an issue scoring most of the WC. They either fire in buckets of goals, or just grind one out.

This is the whole reason there is a 2-leg system. Most top sides from the major leagues would be competitive enough to win a head-to-head match against anyone else. A mistake here, a bounce there, a bad call here & there....an top 3-4 squad from any league might be able to knock out an arguably better side. An isolated win means nothing in the grand scheme of things, it's all on the scope of the competition. A loss in the group stage allows you to advance if you are consistent enough, but a loss in the final decides who's the better squad. If the Swiss beat Spain in the final, that's changes the whole scope of your argument.
See, some people look at the score, but actually what you have to do is analyze the game, and watching evidence from the first game, try to imagine how it will be in the rival's ground...
I get that. I'm just saying, you act as if we should write down 5-0 and not even play the game. You're just getting ahead of yourself. Again, it's natural to not focus on the negative and look forward. Heaven forbid Arsenal be congratulated for longer than 1 whole day before someone thinks to count them out on the 2nd leg.
Congratulations, valdes fu**ed up, congratulations the ref called a goal off, congratulations, Messi was inches away from the goal twice, congratulations the ref didn't see a handball in the box, congratulations, pedro missed a sitter...
All these things factored the game, just as any other. We both can play the "what if" game, as it's completely hypothetical.
You weren't better enough than Barcelona in your ground, to assume that you will be good enough in theirs to come out victorious.
I have never once said "We will win" as you tout so highly. I think that's why so many people seem to not even bother arguing with Barcelona fans due to their smugness. I'm saying don't count us out, and that's what I've said this entire time. Please point me to something otherwise.
Now, if you had 6-7 clear cut chances, if Barcelona struggled to create danger, if you controlled the match and did what you want with the ball, and you were clearly a better team, outplayed the rival for the majority of the game.. then i would say, jeez, this team looks like they can go to barcelona and pull a tie or an away win... but that wasn't the case..... at alll.....
Again, all we need is a draw. If we score, you must score at least twice to stay alive. If you let in 2 goals, you have to go 4 to advance. What I'm pointing out is we allowed Barcelona to maintain possession, and they weren't able to capitalize. You can say that Barcelona outplayed us, and I'd agree for about 50 minutes, you did. The first 15 minutes and the last 25 were ours.

Go ahead and start believing with the 2-1, you're an Arsenal fan after all, i just think its funny that after this really tight and close game, may already changed from "this tie is lost, we are ruled out", "we have solid chances of making it through bcasue we won 2-1 " I don't even think the Arsenal players think that :?
Some do, as they think it's the same team as last year. Last year, we didn't have a chance with the injuries and issues with that squad. I've said it before, only 3 of the same players started from the 1st leg this and last. I'd venture to say maybe 8 or 9 of the same players for Barcelona played in that tie last year(no Ibra this year, can't remember if SB or Yaya played, and not certain of the left back) but the point is, it's roughly the same squad(if not better). We are a much better squad this year, even our domestic league shows it. We've squandered leads in the Newcastle and Spurs games and lost certain games we shouldn't have...yet we are still 2nd(by 4 points) behind a very strong United squad.

Ton of supporters wouldn't mind an early exit from the UCL so we can focus on the league. There's nothing worse than knowing you can juggle 3 things, and someone throws you 4. I personally would rather United stay in as long as possible and deal with 2 games a week as long as possible to wear down their squad down the stretch. I wouldn't have minded a CL exit and still don't to a degree, although there's nothing wrong with giving it a fighting chance. That's all we have. The same thing was said about Inter last year and now Jose looks like a genius. Very few gave Inter a chance of beating Barcelona as they did in the tie, so why is it suddenly crazy that Arsenal have a chance. Inter won 3-1 at home and had it a bit easier. Yes, we aren't Inter, blah blah blah. Inter wasn't Inter the beginning of the season either. They are just like anyone else in football: out-of-form, in-form, or Benetiz is coaching you...and that means your screwed :D Inter didn't win using our tactics, and we didn't win using Inter's. Comparing us is like comparing rocking chairs and rattle snakes.

Our No. 1 GK at the beginning of the season is out, but I prefer WS anyways. We haven't had Verms all year. RvP has only had a run of 9-10 games. All I'm saying is tie hasn't been and won't be a carbon copy of last year. If someone doesn't believe we still belong there, then knock us out.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

TommyGun wrote:^ you two....at least be informed all around before passing judgments. JD came off injured while the scoreline was 4-0. The other 4 were Kos+Squa's doing. Go back to spewing your nonsense though, it's funny how little know about Arsenal yet seem to have it all figured out. Hell, I might just know just as much/if not more about Barcelona. Just saying, spread your knowledge to avoid situations like these.

All I'm saying is when JD is on the field, our team is unbeaten in 26 games and our D is much stronger. You don't have a player in the squad right now that you can say that is unbeaten on the field, thanks to us. Guess what, any draw takes us through.

EDIT:
panchester07 wrote:Puyol will before back in 21 days..... It will be Dani - Abidal - Puyol - Maxwelll...Abidal was the best man Barca had on wednsday, Puyol is the natural leader, team captain and top 3 defenders of the world.....
Amen

Who?

I know the squad as I pay attention to ALL football....not just what can be viewed as "popular". I'm not a glory hunter, and I've supported Arsenal for 15 years. Everyone likes a winner, I get that. Barcelona has more fair-weather fans than Real Madrid, United, and Chelsea put together.

The subs killed you guys. Those subs alone showed you were trying to settled in for the result and not try for more. We didn't have to stop your tiki-taka, you did a great job stopping it yourselves.

All those accolades sound nice, but still doesn't change the facts. We let Barca maintain possession and punched harder on the counter. No amount of "he's won this and that" will change that. If you think it's going to be 3 or 4 to 0 at Camp Nou, I'm here to tell you you are wrong.
Impressive record then there. And good for Barca, coz you know, they love breaking records. And yeh, twas the two complex names guys that let in the 4 goals..And the Wigan screw up..so can you really call them consistently good after that? Yeh I thought so..One off good game doesnt change that either..

Point is only reason Barca lost was coz Pep made a bad sub, and Wen made a good sub. These two factors combined resulting in a lucky win for Arsenal.

Stuttgart in 10, Lyon in 09, both indicators of away leg bad, home leg wow. Also, from what I read, Pep's record in the knockout round away leg is consistently bad(6 draws and 2 losses I think), they usually leave it to the home leg to turn the style on. Messi had a bad game against Arse away too.

Also, that wasnt Barca at its 100 percent. Barca usually peaks at two points of the season, in the Nov/Dec and March/April area. They hav abit of a rest in between. Dun worry tho you'll get to watch them at their 100 percent when they play ya at the Camp nou.

Btw, saying Arsenal "allow Barca to hav possesion" is like sayin I aint as good as Messi coz I dun wanna be, not coz I can't. Barca had possesion coz Arsenal couldnt get the ball off Barca, and the only reason Arsenal wern't 2 or 3 goals down was coz Barca wern't as lethal with their chances. And as history suggests, that doesnt happen more than once.

As for claims that stronger squad without injuries and stuff..Last year Barca were without Iniesta and David Villa too, both significant improvements this year. But maybe with Arsenal havin a stronger squad, they still might be able to lose 3-0 instead of four.

WatchKingKennyPlay
Sophomore Member

Just quietly..I have massive respect for you TommyGun i agree with virtually everything that you say on these forums. I sometimes wish there were more posters like you on the site :D

But panch you know I love you..this is no disrespect to what you post

panchester07
Veteran Member

Point is only reason Barca lost was coz Pep made a bad sub, and Wen made a good sub. These two factors combined resulting in a lucky win for Arsenal.

Stuttgart in 10, Lyon in 09, both indicators of away leg bad, home leg wow. Also, from what I read, Pep's record in the knockout round away leg is consistently bad(6 draws and 2 losses I think), they usually leave it to the home leg to turn the style on. Messi had a bad game against Arse away too.

Also, that wasnt Barca at its 100 percent. Barca usually peaks at two points of the season, in the Nov/Dec and March/April area. They hav abit of a rest in between. Dun worry tho you'll get to watch them at their 100 percent when they play ya at the Camp nou.

Btw, saying Arsenal "allow Barca to hav possesion" is like sayin I aint as good as Messi coz I dun wanna be, not coz I can't. Barca had possesion coz Arsenal couldnt get the ball off Barca, and the only reason Arsenal wern't 2 or 3 goals down was coz Barca wern't as lethal with their chances. And as history suggests, that doesnt happen more than once.
Coudn't agree more with this......

But let them believe they really outplayed Barca, and they really where the better side...But don't say I didn't tell you in 3 weeks when your keeper is taking out the ball from the back of the net in packed camp nou.

Barca will demonstrate this was just a slip up and a coincidence...Sucks for you that started popping the champaigns and aren't aware enough to see that 2-1 is a lying scoreboard..

Its funny how a simple wrong offside call would have them worried, and now has them making plans about making it through and confident and believing.

With a 2-2 they would have been all worried "wow we need an away goal fast and such, and barca can't score on us :oops: " bu with a 2-1 they are "we stopped your tiki-taka bla bla" :lol:

Lets be serious, Barcelona played well, forgave clear situations, received 2 goals in 5 minutes, (one by a bllooper from the keeper who had a long time without messing up), and got affected by the ref... legal goal disallowed to messi, an offisde call that never was offside to Pedro when he was left 1 v 1 against the keep, horrible penalty when the defender of unpronunceble name tackles pedro, and forgiven expulsion to song in repeated situations, i'm not saying that the ref has to call everything, but if they would have messed up in 1, or 2, and not all 4, barca would have obtained atleast a tie away from home. It was a "slipup" and a coincidence, in Nou Camp they're gonna have to play their A game, and not just score 1 and speculate with the result, I trust in the barca comeback.

If Barcelona wouldn't have quit to the control of the ball in the last 20 minutes they would have won.. I don't think it has to do with february curses, or vudu for the matter, i think guardiola just made a bad tactical decision and thats all. He made a mistake. you don't win a match by taking Villa out for Keita...

If you count clear chances, the score should have been something like 3-5 or something of the sort, Barcelona didn't lack chances or danger, they needed to finish, and the one that they finished, they needed that the referee didn't call it back.. Inspite of the loss, I see the leg in favor of barcelona, we'll see in a few weeks.

Last, I just read that Cesc and Van Persie skipped the last fifa friendly fixture, and that Del Bosque played colombia with all Barca as starters, that Messi played all match vs portugal, these things weigh as well.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/We ... 00591.html
David Villa claims Barcelona were hugely unfortunate to lose their UEFA Champions League clash with Arsenal.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

^ I'm assuming you two are reading what I'm writing, but are you understanding it?

I'm basically saying "What team goes into a CL tie thinking they are going to lose? Why would having that mentality be helpful to your situation?" I'm taking the positives from the first leg and comparing them against what we did wrong.

You two seem to thinking I'm saying that Arsenal are going to stomp Barcelona at the Camp Nou, which is not even close to what the last 2 pages have been about. I'm saying don't look at last year as some barometer for what to expect, because they are two different teams. You don't have Ibra(you can say Villa is "better", but they are simply two different styles of strikers) and he was very influential in the away leg(your only 2 goals). Please tell me you're with me so far?

I give you solid facts build on foundation, and I get back excuses. Barca wasn't 100%? Neither were we...WE HAD EBOUE PLAYING. You can't name a squad player on your roster as bad as Eboue. I love him to death as an inspirational character, but that's were my confidence in him stops. Bad calls are bad calls. They could have went against either one of us. I'm assuming you play, right? Have you ever been called offside when you know you weren't? Did you just play the rest of the game and shake it off?....OR did you go home all Ray Finkle-style from Ace Ventura, gripping a linesman flag, developing a physiological delusion and live as an adult in your parents basement to not function as an adult? Get over it. The subs were the major turning point, and it completely shifted the game. You have to place responsibility on Pep for that and that did cost you the game if you ask me. Again, that's the whole point I'm still talking about it. Barca goofed and you act like it can't happen again. No one is invincible. Ask anyone on Real Madrid and of course they think can still win La Liga because that's he mentality you must have to give your all week in and out. Who goes out to win 2nd place? Ok, blame Del Bosque, too. RvP had a "stomach flu"(wouldn't doubt if he didn't) and Cesc probably wasn't going to start anyway. Point being? Messi wanted to play against Portugal, and good thing he did. You can say they were tired(I could see Ineista looking a bit worn down) but that's the game. Great players are called on to play for their country, that's no mystery. All I see is excuses that you think that Barca had no control over. You can't control the international schedule or the calls, but you can control your subs and how you finish. If it should have have 5-2 if you would have finished chances....that one offside goal would have been peanuts in comparison and might not even get a mention.

Again, read. We had a ton of possession in the first 15 and the last 25. That's 40 minutes. That's not quite half the game. I've seen the possession stats range from Arsenal having 47%(BBC pads all EPL teams) and as little as 34%(Soccerlens).

Here's an excerpt from Soccerlens:

Yet what no-one really considered is that there is a happy medium between the two. Barcelona did dominate possession – 66% to Arsenal’s 34% – but where they had the ball, Arsenal had almost just as much territory – 47.6% to Barcelona’s 52.4%. This speaks volumes about how much Barcelona were really able to do with the ball – and this is because while Arsenal did press Barcelona rather then sitting off, they did it slowly. Frequently the Arsenal players would merely jog toward the ball carrier – while this doesn’t help win the ball, it is an excellent way of narrowing down the space and still being able to move quickly back into position in case of Barcelona inevitably popping the ball around the pressers. Compare this to a team who might press Barcelona very aggresively – leaving an altogether wider gap in their lines then Arsenal’s less commited but more conservative form of pressing.

Read more: http://soccerlens.com/pressing-tactics- ... z1ELkDnG8k

When I say, "we allowed Barca to have possession", it's exactly what I mean. We scored 1 more goal with having the ball less. It's the same way Hercules managed to win earlier in the year and Inter even lost at the Camp Nou playing that way(aggregate brought them through). We didn't completely change our tactics to achieve a result and attacked when we had the ball. It's more than you can say based on those subs, which were crucial to the overall scoreline. I will not resign to some negative belief that the same thing couldn't happen. Subs are a tricky thing because you can disrupt the rhythm and it's hard for a sub to inject themselves into the pace of place that late in the game. Sure, they are fresh but those subs were not like-for-like. Tactical changes that late in the game can either come off as genius or poison.

If you respond to all this again with the same recycled "herp derp, Barca will win 15-0 because they are Barca, derp" again, I guess I have nothing else to explain to either of you.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Well, thats fine....

Just do me a favor and don't be comparing Villa to Ibra please.. Because Ibra on steroids couldn't even touch Villa mkay?

We have different interpretations of the match..

The subs where crucial we can agree on that..

I think Barcelona was rather unlucky, and the 2-1 didn't reflect what went down on the field..

Though you guys did press well and counterattacked very well..

Still luck did have a big influence on the game.. and thats one of my points, yes i can "get over it", but people should start admiting the ref's hand did change the outcome of the game, instead of just saying that it was the pressing and counterattacking, which is also influenced but it would have been enough to win ..

You managed to face headon the best team in the owrld and maybe in history, but you didn't do it alone, the luck, being in your homeground and the ref helped you out a few times..

Congrats lad, you won the game, thats what everybody's gonna remember, but the ref wont help you in camp nou, barcelona wont miss as many chances, and will create a lot more, puyol will be back, and you wont be in emirates, it will be another story and the world will see the real difference between the too! you'll see :wink:

TommyGun
Veteran Member

There is a collective short-term memory loss among Barca supporters when it comes to Ibra. To say he doesn't compare to Villa in anyway is well, ludicrous. They are different players. One had the La Liga experience, one didn't. One is a tremendous talent on and off the ball(Villa), and Ibra is a little more of a powerful hold-up striker that didn't fit into the system. He scored very some crucial and very timely goals fro Barca last year(CL, Classico, etc), and his attitude wrote his ticket out of Barcelona. Villa simply fits in the system better and is more adjusted to the league, while Ibra didn't have that luxury.

Subs. Check.

Barca was unlucky with calls and finishing chances. Check.

It wasn't all luck to favor Arsenal. We had to keep our heads up after the first goal and numerous close chances that would have almost put the tie out of reach. That can be difficult mentality and that's where we've struggled the most all year. To me, that's where we grew the most in 90 minutes.

I agree the ref can't help us at Camp Nou, and that's not what I'm looking for. I wouldn't want any * beside the scoreline, as I want it to be a game with not excuse...win or lose. Puyol might be back but Pique won't so that'll be another hole to fill. I wouldn't doubt if Maxwell is taken off of his LB duties for next game. Again, I wouldn't doubt if we lose the tie overall based on the mountain we have to climb. I just know that it was Everest a week ago...and now it's looking a little more like the Rockies. If you don't have a wining mentality going into the game, why even show up?

styale18

Wanderer- ok so barca stopped trying to score after 1-0.so what? most football teams know that you have to get a second goal to be comfortable. to be honest i dont know why they got so complacent against a team who is also very good at retaining possession

ImpossibleIsNothing6

My commentator for my region was saying that arsenal were playing far to high in their defensive line trying to catch them off', and it was too dangerous apparentlyy. he reckons that barca lost because they apprently are not good at defending set plays and in their final third. do u agree with thiss?

nick117
Veteran Member

What did set plays have to do with the goals barca conceded? Was your commentator watching the game or did he tune into an old match? Barca got caught on the counter for one of the goals and the keeper got caught out for the other.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

nick117 wrote:What did set plays have to do with the goals barca conceded? Was your commentator watching the game or did he tune into an old match? Barca got caught on the counter for one of the goals and the keeper got caught out for the other.
This. Arsenal had very few set plays in general. Maybe this was a speculative "keys to the game" piece published pre-game?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Djourou is a pretty decent CB; I don't understand why people are criticizing him so much. He makes mistakes every once in a while getting the wrong side of the attacker but lately that's been happening less and less, and he is good in the air.