Who are you rooting for euro 2012?

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

You can't empathize with supporting another country because you're British. However sh*t England may be, they make a lot of tournies.

A fan from Canada however, hasn't much option. Sure, if Canada were to make a World Cup, I'd deck my house out in Canadian finery, grab a jersey and watch every second of every game, but that might not happen in my lifetime. :p I do follow them in other competitions such as Americas competitions, but realistically, I would say there are a large number of Canadian fans who are particularly devoted to a 'second team' that is successful.

Met

ratherton wrote:
klc123 wrote:You're saying that to someone whose first language isn't English lol.

I want to see Germany or Spain win, so everyone can bitch and moan about how sh*t the FA is and how they ruined football in England by letting the premier league clubs destroy youth football. Then they will always make the comparisons "Why can't the FA learn from the Spanish and German associations, that you have to put decent young players into the youth systems in the league, to get anything out for the national side"

Viva España!

Go Deutschland!
The FA didn't let it happen. The main clubs threatened to create a new league if they didn't get their own way...which they did.

You can blame the FA for a lot of things but the Premier League has been the single biggest factor in screwing things up.

Football has just been turned into a big marketing exercise. How people can be so enthusiastic about teams they have absolutely no connection with is beyond me and as for supporting another country......

Its not much better than voting on X Factor.
I agree with ratherton. Premier League is its own body and has no interest in enforcing their teams to put more money into youth. FA can only ask and plead and then this sh*tty 25 'homegrown' player limit. I see it having no effect. For instance, 44% players in EPL are elgible for England and yet 66% in La liga are able to play for Spain. Then there are coaches putting rules on the England manager what to do with their players as they think it's more important to keep them fit for the crucial Premier League clash. Furthermore, we have a good crop at U21 yet they hardly get look in, in EPL.

We just need someone with a backbone to take command of this ship and set out the next years 10. This is what Spain did 10 years ago. France had a shocking WC. Somehow worse than us (Yes I couldn't believe anyone was worse either). They cleaned out the ego's and are giving game time to the younger players.

With that said, I'm rooting for England. I enjoy the bigging up of England before tournies and the epic fail at tournies. It's happened since 1968 Euro I'm guessing, you gotta hand it to us when it comes to optimism.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:Where's Scotland's talent- Oh :(
Why on Earth would all Scotlands talent have gone to Germany as well :?:

I sometimes wonder why you make the posts you do :roll:

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote: The FA didn't let it happen. The main clubs threatened to create a new league if they didn't get their own way...which they did.

You can blame the FA for a lot of things but the Premier League has been the single biggest factor in screwing things up.

Football has just been turned into a big marketing exercise. How people can be so enthusiastic about teams they have absolutely no connection with is beyond me and as for supporting another country......

I sometimes wonder what people actually get out of supporting your Man Uniteds, Arsenals etc. "They play good football" So what? You can enjoy watching them without supporting them. Majority of people miss out actually supporting and shouting on a team which is a shame.

EDIT. The X Factor is heavily rigged to favour the producers favourite acts. You cant really compare it to the Premier league :P

soccer11
Admin

ScottyBoy wrote:
klc123 wrote:Where's Scotland's talent- Oh :(
Why on Earth would all Scotlands talent have gone to Germany as well :?:

I sometimes wonder why you make the posts you do :roll:
Basically just to be a troll.
I don't think he understood what the meaning of this post was:
ScottyBoy wrote:Wheres all Poland's talent at?

Simple, same place as Turkey's talent....
Allow me to explain.
Polish decedents playing for Germany:
Klose
Podolski
Trochowski
Turkish decendents:
Özil
Tasci

klc123
Veteran Member

Allow me to explain Soccer11, if that really is your name.

To quote;
I don't think he understood what the meaning of this post was:

I was sarcastically saying "Where has Scotland's talent gone, oh sh*t Scotland never had any talent in the first place"
Basically just to be a troll.
Oh noe, your onto me?

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Here's me thinking you've misunderstood me and you were sticking up for the innocent Turks who I had just put the boot into for no reason.

Turns out you got my point so needlessly decided to make an insulting comment. Your behaviour is unnecessary and provocative to say the least.

klc123
Veteran Member

Boom-headshot!

Finally a post that doesn't make me want to rip off someone's head and sh*t violently down their neck.

In all serious however, it's nothing personal, I'm just a c**t to everyone on this forum.

ratherton
Veteran Member

ScottyBoy wrote:
ratherton wrote: The FA didn't let it happen. The main clubs threatened to create a new league if they didn't get their own way...which they did.

I sometimes wonder what people actually get out of supporting your Man Uniteds, Arsenals etc. "They play good football" So what? You can enjoy watching them without supporting them. Majority of people miss out actually supporting and shouting on a team which is a shame.

EDIT. The X Factor is heavily rigged to favour the producers favourite acts. You cant really compare it to the Premier league :P
The definition of 'supporting' a team has definitely changed in many peoples eyes.

To me, supporting means going to games. In 2005, England played 2 matches in the USA. In Chicago against the USA and the following week against Columbia (I think, I was quite drunk). In between was the play-off final and a number of West Ham fans who had gone to the US to watch England, flew back to the UK in between the two games.

Regardless of the cost, flying trans Atlantic twice in a week just to watch football is a serious effort and can't be compared to buying a Chelsea shirt and watching matches on TV.

I support Ipswich and I've seen all sorts of highs and lows from losing 5-0 at Port Vale to beating Inter Milan. Without the lows, the highs don't mean as much.

This season, I've been so pleased for Blackpool. Their got some brilliant results playing decent football. I'd love them to stay up but I certainly would never claim to support them.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Especially happy for the fans that watched their teams play in the old division 3, your Blackpools, Wigan, Hull.

Its also good to see how Blackpool are approaching it as well. Its just a shame they leak goals left right and centre!

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Perhaps "support" is an inappropriate word to describe the way people with no actual connections desire to see a certain club do well. I root for Arsenal because... well to be honest there isn't much of a rational reason behind it. Scottyboy is correct in that one could enjoy watching a team and appreciate great football without a vested interest in the result.

But I think it is natural as humans to pick a team and be a "fan" (regardless of which sport it is). It makes watching matches and keeping up with the latest happenings in a league far more interesting. Additionally, it gives a person the opportunity to moan and theorize on how much smarter they are than a manager for his team selection for example. In irrationally cheering for one team you also get to irrationally hate their rival which provides an addicting way to channel any frustration you have in your life.

Obviously this can frustrate the true supporters who may feel they have earned the right to call themselves such. And that is why I would never claim to be a supporter of Arsenal. (Sorry if I might have on here in the past.. but this my opinion on the issue today). I am a fan of organized sports in general and I care much more about the local teams I was raised on and have seen play in person numerous times than I care about Arsenal.

klc123
Veteran Member

I do not know anything about basketball leagues or teams. I know nearly as little about the game itself. But when I was on holiday in America, it was the only sport on, and I was instantaneously a fan of whichever team I preferred. No real rationalising behind it, could be anything, from a player on one team I saw been exceptional, or just the colour.

I don't support Spain or Germany. I want to see them do well though, as both countries deserve a win.

And I'm not hoping that England do poorly out of spite, I'm just not holding my breath over how far they get, because I expect it will be an over hyped and overall disappointing tournament for them, again.