Who are you backing?

Real Madrid
33%
FC Barcelona
67%

Total votes: 12

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Is Pep good enough to outclass Mourinho or does he rely on his players to the job.

Not saying pep isnt good im just saying he may not be as good as Mourinho.

Manchester United havnt lost this season either. Great teams and more importantly great managers dont lose.

As for it being a title decider, only if Madrid win because they will be key points won that can be defended at home.

Where do we think Messi will play? Out wide or more centrally where he is occasionally used?

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Oh I am not saying both Pep and Mourinho are equals. Its more like the noble talented rookie faces the masterful evil veteran.....thats exactly what I say :lol:

As for Pep's abilities, I do believe he is good enough. Granted he entered the job with a star studded line-up two seasons ago, but the subtle changes he has made in formations (especially last season and later stages of 08-09) and the drastic ones like using Busquets to overthrow Toure (who was actually rijkaard's choice for a DM and not a bad player) or using Pedro to overthrow Henry ( I dont know who decided to get Henry) suggest that he has the makings of a great coach.

Defeating Pep is the main reason Madrid got Mourinho. Surely, those arrogant pricks cannot stand losing to Barcelona more than 4 times in a row. We will just have to see if this is the fifth or Mourinho lives up to his name and denies the winning streak.......I will honestly consider him the greatest ever, if he comes away with a victory tomorrow.

Also I agree that this game is a title decider if Madrid wins. Barcelona hasnt won the league after suffering a defeat at home in soo many years that the word "forever" can be used without appearing as a cliched hyperbole.

I believe messi will play in the centre with the license to roam, providing support to Pedro and Villa ahead of him and Xaviniesta behind him. Having said that, we will see him shift to the right wing frequently to interchange passes with Alves. Seriously, messi looks like a sad puppy on the field without Alves sometimes haha

soccer11
Admin

I think Pep knows how to manage Barcelona very well. LIke no one else really. But if he went to a different team, I don't think he'd be anywhere as successful as he is with Barcelona. Unless he had the type of players that Barca have, which no one does.

matt
EF Forum Legend

soccer11 wrote:I think Pep knows how to manage Barcelona very well. LIke no one else really. But if he went to a different team, I don't think he'd be anywhere as successful as he is with Barcelona. Unless he had the type of players that Barca have, which no one does.
I'd agree with that. He is getting more out of them than Rikjaard did.

Likewise I think he would struggle at Chelsea (in response to rumours going round the English media this week) unless he brought half of the Barca squad to Stamford Bridge with him. Which he wouldn't, or couldn't.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

soccer11
Admin

Ah damn, I just saw that the game will not be on regular ESPN in the states. I saw a commercial for it and I assumed it was ESPN. It'll only be on ESPN deportes and ESPN3, which isn't too bad I guess but it still would've been nice for it to be on regular ESPN.

panchester07
Veteran Member

in spite of pep having a brilliant team, and you guys are probably right that he wouldn'triumph in any other team as much, for he wouldn't have the players, in all reality, all the credit goes to Pep for designing this Barcelona.....the whole world looked at him like wtf? when he decided to boot Ronaldinho, i think he created the tiki-taka style, and is very responsible for Messi's success....he re-estructured a failing Barcelona and made it into a fu**ing rolex that plays by memory..Rikjaard's Barcelona failed greatly, lost 4-1 to Madrid the previous season, etc...... Pep came,and made madd changes, refreshed the team, and like a puzzle piece by piece he made them a winning machne, that plays beautiful and by memory.... No one else coudl have had the formula to make this Barcelona that succesful.. Not Mourinho, Not rikjaard not anybody.....
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Was it not Rikjaard's team that broke Real's dominance? I think he did a great job. It's a bit unfair to talk about him in only negatives.

You also cant really argue that Pep makes Barca play the way they do. Of course he encourages them and pushes them further but the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi always have and always will play that kind of football.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

klc123
Veteran Member

An orchestra of world class performers is nothing without a world class conductor.

I don't think Barca would be as good as they are without Pep.

1. Pep was a fantastic passer when he played. Indeed he came before his time, and many argue he had no place in the game when he played, but he played how he wanted to play. It's no mistake that he played for Barca back in the day, whilst still being a fantastic short "possession" player.

2. If anything I think Cruyff deserves the most credit for the Tika-taka style of Barca. Whether you were a fan or not, it's more than likely you agree that he revolutionised the tactical and strategical side of the game. His ideas of total football have always been a part of the club, and the adaptations made over the last decade or two are the direct effectors of the tika taka we see now.

3. That last point might suggest that Barca would be fine without Pep. However, it is all good having a strong club ethos of possession football, but you need a manager who has experience and is a firm believer in the system, Pep is suited to the job down to the ground.

4. I don't think Pep would be as good anywhere else, because no other team in the world has his style of play drilled into the players for years and years, it has almost been like the club was preparing and investing in its youth and ethos, and now that Pep has taken over the "king" and taken the reigns.

5. Rikjaard deserves a hell of a lot more credit than he gets. He won the champions league and broke the Real dominance in the league, as Scotty has stated. He was also pretty well suited for the job because he was a direct product of total football in Ajax, a system which is tied into tika taka. Yes Barca are playing better now than with Rikjaard, but I don't think that is because one manager is much greater than the other, I think the biggest impact is having more players coming through the youth who are even more experienced, and Messi, Xavi and Iniesta have now reached new levels of quality. You can say this is because of Pep, but I personally believe it is more experience and team chemistry, which is something that comes with time, not managing.

6. I only think Rikjaard got the sack because he was not getting on well with players, IE Ronaldinho, and a replacement, Pep, conveniently arose.

panchester07
Veteran Member

ScottyBoy wrote:Was it not Rikjaard's team that broke Real's dominance? I think he did a great job. It's a bit unfair to talk about him in only negatives.

You also cant really argue that Pep makes Barca play the way they do. Of course he encourages them and pushes them further but the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi always have and always will play that kind of football.

Haha so is it just a coincidence that he won 6 titles the previous to last season, and 2 last one? Did the stars aline in the right proportion over Barcelona and give them all the luck they needed?

Rikjaard was succesful, but I believe he was dependant on Ronaldinho...Rikjaard was succesfull, but not to the proportions of Pep.... I have never seen something as huge as this Barcelona.. 97% of teams that play them you have for a fact that Barcelona will win, your talking about the best team in Europe by far.... Rikjaard didn't do that....... When Rikjaard played a team, you had doubts in the back of your mind, can Barcelona win? In reality, when is the last time Pep's tiki-taka Barcelona made you think, can they beat they're rivals? They are the best in the world, in the last 2 years, and if the man in charge where to be someone else, Barcelona wouldn't be as amazing..... Fact.... He gets a lot of credit for the style of play/triumphes.......Maybe he's not the best manager, but his philosophy of football happens to be, the most effective in the world and most beautiful too.. He beat Ferguson, and has beaten Mourinho, and other amazing coaches too
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

soccer11
Admin

panchester07 wrote:in spite of pep having a brilliant team, and you guys are probably right that he wouldn'triumph in any other team as much, for he wouldn't have the players, in all reality, all the credit goes to Pep for designing this Barcelona.....the whole world looked at him like wtf? when he decided to boot Ronaldinho, i think he created the tiki-taka style, and is very responsible for Messi's success....he re-estructured a failing Barcelona and made it into a fu**ing rolex that plays by memory..Rikjaard's Barcelona failed greatly, lost 4-1 to Madrid the previous season, etc...... Pep came,and made madd changes, refreshed the team, and like a puzzle piece by piece he made them a winning machne, that plays beautiful and by memory.... No one else coudl have had the formula to make this Barcelona that succesful.. Not Mourinho, Not rikjaard not anybody.....
I definitely agree with that. Pep is Barcelona FC. He understands the culture and what people want, and he's done a magnificent job, and from knowing their history, the team is heavily linked with Catalonia, so who better to manage them than someone from there?

Evan
Veteran Member

2-0 already, Barca are dominant. Xavi's goal. Holy fu**
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

soccer11
Admin

It's like watching a Barcelona training session. Madrid haven't done anything.

edit: ronaldo will never be forgiven for pushing Pep in Barcelona. No chance Real's going to win now.

Ward9310

Fantastic game so far, Barcelona dominating, Madrid can't get a look in. Half time as I type this.

2-0 (Xavi, Pedro) is anyone doesn't know the score.

Met

Missed the first half.

Ozil off, Jose is thinking about their next clash. Head to head over two games, just like CL aggregate, need a goal or two. Ozil isn't big game proven yet, pretty harsh throwing him in the deep end.

soccer11
Admin

Lass Diarra for Özil? He probably needed to come out but now they're going to play with 3 defensive minded midfielders? I don't know if that was the right move.