Champions League Quarter/Semi final Draw

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
mr_dude

Post by mr_dude » 20 Apr 2010, 22:15

Wow, i'm overjoyed. Great thing is, that wasn't even a perfect performance by Inter. Pedro's goal was a result of slack defending (and a misplaced pass by Lucio). Lucio, Cambiasso, and Motta, though they were solid defensively, were really suspect with their passing. Milito, though he got a goal and 2 assists, his finishing was way off. Zanetti was my man of the match, no one could get past him and he was helpful in the attack.
Anyway, I can't wait for the second leg.
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 20 Apr 2010, 22:46

Messi was kind of marked closely like he was marked and closed in South America...

Maybe not, but he did nothing today, nothing!

Most of the personal duels where won by inter.. Zanetti beat Alves... Messi was stopped.. Zlatan was closed...

Off Topic:

Hell I've been watching Inter all league, and probably the two most regular players are Cambiasso and Milito..

Maradona still has problems deciding weather to call them up or not..

He stil doesn't know if Milito should go, or PALERMO..

Come on man, are you kidding me?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 20 Apr 2010, 22:59

Inter used the best method when it comes to stoping players of Messi's class.
1) It's hard for a player to be effective when theres always 3+ players watching him
2) When he does try to attack it's hard for him to be effective when he's on the ground

Instead of trying to contain Messi they just made sure there were enough bodies around him, and he got physically harassed enough to be ineffective. Even at that he had a few nice shots and passes, but he was shut down for sure.

I'd agree 100% with Cambiasso but Milto can be shaky and when you look at Argentina's striking options I can see how leaving him out isn't a totally bad idea, I don't think they'll ever need him.

mr_dude

Post by mr_dude » 20 Apr 2010, 23:04

Yup, it's times like this when I'm proud to be an Interista. It's not like they followed Messi wherever he went, he had space off the ball, it's just that as soon as he got the ball he was surrounded.
And Panchester, Maradona should work at a McDonald's or something, he's too stupid to deserve coaching the kind of players he has available. Cambiasso IMO is better than Mascherano, not only is he rock-solid defensively, he's well rounded and can pick out great passes. Milito hasn't been at his best over the last month and a bit, but that's mostly because he's exhausted. By the time the World Cup comes around, he'll be well rested, then he should be a starter alongside Higuain.
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 21 Apr 2010, 00:18

mr_dude wrote:Yup, it's times like this when I'm proud to be an Interista. It's not like they followed Messi wherever he went, he had space off the ball, it's just that as soon as he got the ball he was surrounded.
And Panchester, Maradona should work at a McDonald's or something, he's too stupid to deserve coaching the kind of players he has available. Cambiasso IMO is better than Mascherano, not only is he rock-solid defensively, he's well rounded and can pick out great passes. Milito hasn't been at his best over the last month and a bit, but that's mostly because he's exhausted. By the time the World Cup comes around, he'll be well rested, then he should be a starter alongside Higuain.
Touche on the Cambiasso thing, I would pick Cambiasso before Mascherano any day of the year..

The Milito - Higuian thing I like a lot as well.. Messi behind the two as a "10" ??

Wow, if only Argentina learnt to play properly they would win this world cup for sure, it be a picnic for them.. Look at that squad, holy sh*t!!

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 21 Apr 2010, 04:14

What a worst thing to happen on 4/20. Getting all chinkeyed just to see Mourinho outsmart Pep and say "no matter how high you leap, you are still a rookie in the game son"

Not even the 10 minutes had passed and Mourinho was already taking notes. I knew something bad was going to happen then.....call it stoner intuition lol

Pedro scored a goal but he was pretty much muscled off everytime.

Also, we get it ibra. You can do karate kicks with the ball but seriously, isnt using your head or chest (which tends to be higher than other player's heads) a better option than failing to show off your taek won do? I mean wasnt that height and maginificient control the main reason you were purchased?

Busquets in midfield was a bad idea. Toure would have been terrific here.

But to give credit where credit is due, Inter defeated Barcelona with sheer tactical brilliance and individual flair. The lightning speed at which Inter attacked left Barcelona disoriented. Lucio and Eto'o played their hearts out. Milito was very decisive but the man that stood out for me was Sniejder.

The way Sniejder would just touch the ball to a teammate, vanish and then appear in a hole created by barca's defence in the next few seconds to facilitate the ball movement was superb. Furthermore, his assist for the third goal was mind blowing. Many players would just try to head it in but he had the awareness and the ability to bounce the ball in between the goalie and pique, right on to Milito's head for the easiest goal of his life.

Also now its brother vs brother........for the first time in the history of the champions league.

Now Mourinho parks the bus with strategic counters at Barca. Unfortunately, the predator has the prey exactly where he wants.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 21 Apr 2010, 18:27

I loved how Eto'o played very well considering how little service he got and how Barcelona would have had more chance scoring if Ibrahimovic was off the pitch. What a flop.

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 21 Apr 2010, 19:17

I've said before I thought Lyon would win the whole tournament. I went crazy when they managed to get by Madrid. I think they can still do it, but the only reason they're even in this game so far is Bayern's finishing has been terrible so far. We'll see what happens in the rest of this game, it's wide open.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 21 Apr 2010, 19:39

This leg seems for Lyon..

Really I can't look at this game without thinking every 5 minutes that Man U is the one that should be here... 4-4 on Aggregate, a few key mistakes, with a fit Rooney we would be playing this semi's without a doubt..

Anyway, Bayern is an excellent team, but if Lyon can play smart, and maybe introduce Sydney Govou (speed) they can take advantage of their 1 man advantage... They can get 1 or even 2 goals and have a easy comfortable second leg in Lyon... Sounds good an plausible.. Anyway these 45 minutes are the hardest in the whole year for Bayern Munchen, the outcome of it will have great impact on who goes through.. Ribbery misses the next match, and possibly the final if they get there.. Could easily be the last european night for Tony Montana with Bayern Munchen..

Lyon win 0-2 is my prediction..

And that Ribbery red card, totally fair in my opinion, he deserved it.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 21 Apr 2010, 21:39

Arjen Robben is possibly the biggest fluke on the planet.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 21 Apr 2010, 22:14

Arjen Robben's pure class, one fluke doesn't mean anything they happen quite often.

and 15 goals and 6 assist in 25 games isn't "flop status" in my book, though I don't think Barca really suits him the way inter did.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 21 Apr 2010, 23:48

He did say 'fluke', not 'flop', but I would appreciate some more justification all the same. To me, the numbers tell the story. Not only that, but he always shows up for the high profile games (I.E. today v. Lyon).

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 22 Apr 2010, 02:38

Imo he absolutely dissapeared against Man U..

Yes he got that goal, but Evra had him closed all game..

But by definition he was there, he was asking for balls, receiving em, but after 2 touches the frenchman would be up all over him.. Anyway Man U's out I gotta accept that, and Robben is an excellent player fu**ing lefty has impecable dribbling skills, excellent pace, is dangerous, and has a hammer in that left foot (power).

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 22 Apr 2010, 02:46

The "flop status" and stats I posted were about his Zlatan statement a few above, but I guess that wasn't clear and Robben only has 1 less goal in 4 less games so I'd agree.

I wouldn't say he disappeared against Man U. He might not have been super active but he wasn't getting taken out of the game. He'd get open and pass the ball around and when he got his chance he made the most of it, IMO when a players taken out of a game they don't make the most of their chances because they're already thinking of getting out of there (like Messi yesterday). Robben just stayed quite, and a player who can stay quite then score out of no where is dangerous.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 22 Apr 2010, 03:06

I disagree man.. I think he received a lot of balls, and automatically his first step is to open the ball with the outside of his left foot, when he did that, Evra was already 1 cm away with his metal cleats diving to intercept that ball.. He tried plenty of times to beat Evra and just lost untill the 74th minute when he scored... But all game, he was shutdown.. After that goal, he did get 1-2 plays at the most, in which he would go on his ocassional runs down the wing beating players, but that didn't cause much trouble..

Basically all he did was try to dribble and loose it a good 90% of the chances, if you don't believe me watch the highlights of the game, I was playing close attention to the battle of the lefties Evra vs Robben.. Some times he would see Evra coming, and lay out a harmless pass.. The commentators where also observing what I say, and I you would hear comments like " Is Robben playing" or is "Robben has barely participated, I would sub him out" ... And I'm being honest..

After Rafaels expulsion, Bayernn shifted to attack, but still Robben was controlled excellently, it was only till he got that goal, that gave him a bit of confidence to cause more harm that he wasn't doing so, and thats pretty much his role.. To run down the wing, cut and create dangerous situations..

Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent player, and Bayern owe him a raise in his salary thanks to that goal in Old Trafford, and all he's done this season, just wanted to point out something that caught my eye, that was the duel between him and Evra..

Robben and Sneijder could be playing for Madrid right now, and scoring goals and creating the game they are doing in their teams, but some how Florentino prefers Guti and Raul :D:D