Champions League Quarter/Semi final Draw

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 08 Apr 2010, 08:03

Well I judge whether a player is a legend by his ability and performances, not the competitions and awards he wins.

Basically untill he can pass like Xavi, have the vision of Bergkamp, be as consistent as Zidane, clinical as the real Ronaldo, and have the technique of Ronaldinho, I don't think he can be considered a legend.

For example, I think of the Ronaldinho goal vs Chelsea where he just curled the ball with Terry blocking him and Cech standing. That kinda technique, I don't think Messi has it yet..

Alot of great players are "the best in the world"over 3 or 4 years, if he can keep doing it over 7, 8 years. Then he can be considered a legend.

Also I think he lacks the ability to control games, although maybe that isnt as important for a N.O. 10, but it is good to have it if you wanna be a legend. Maradona had it(I think)..

I do agree that he pisses on Rooney and C.Ronaldo tho..

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 08 Apr 2010, 12:33

i disagree about controlling games part. For the recent string of games, Guardiola has been using messi as the only creative player in the midfield (i.e. no iniesta or xavi). He has coped well with that responsibility, which was especially evident against atheletic bilbao.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 11 Apr 2010, 02:00

I completely disagree with that, there are many players who have never lifted the world cup and would be considered legends...

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 11 Apr 2010, 02:22

I have to say that using 3 players that won't become legends as examples isn't the best support wanderer :wink: but I get what you're saying.

and to be fair klc I'd say very few players that are legends and didn't win a world cup. Really it comes down to who you consider a legend though.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 11 Apr 2010, 10:11

Indeed.

George Best is considered a legend by many and he didn't get near to a World Cup.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 11 Apr 2010, 14:55

only because there wasnt any booze in it

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 11 Apr 2010, 15:19

Cruyff. Nuff said.

I think Ronaldo will go down as a legend, yet he never lifted the world cup, and I also think Messi will go down as a legend, and he may never lift the world cup.

I would definitely consider Raul to be a footballer legend, and to an extent some would ever say Ryan Giggs is a legend, both never getting a world cup to this day.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 11 Apr 2010, 16:35

klc123 wrote:I think Ronaldo will go down as a legend, yet he never lifted the world cup, and I also think Messi will go down as a legend, and he may never lift the world cup.
You make it sound like Ronaldo's career is over... he could still win the WC. I doubt it unless a few other Portuguese stars emerge, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 11 Apr 2010, 16:49

Magicfeet wrote:
klc123 wrote:I think Ronaldo will go down as a legend, yet he never lifted the world cup, and I also think Messi will go down as a legend, and he may never lift the world cup.
You make it sound like Ronaldo's career is over... he could still win the WC. I doubt it unless a few other Portuguese stars emerge, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
I doubt it because HE doesn't do shyte with Portugal ever.. Its always someone else that decides the game for portugal.. He scored 1 goal in the Euro, and thats when he had just scored 42 with Man U.. He has a sort of "Messi" effect with his national team.

And true say, Ronaldo is what ? 24 ? and Messi 22? They've got years in front of them yet atleast 2 world cups for both of them!!

Unless ronaldo breaks a nail and decides to retire sooner jk..

For me Ronaldo needs to play in team, and stop wanting every single ball..
He ruins the natural flow of the game (at times) - Other times, he does get it right.. But not EVERY free kick has to be for him, etc.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

fawad000

Post by fawad000 » 11 Apr 2010, 21:07

panchester07 wrote: I doubt it because HE doesn't do shyte with Portugal ever.. Its always someone else that decides the game for portugal.. He scored 1 goal in the Euro, and thats when he had just scored 42 with Man U.. He has a sort of "Messi" effect with his national team.
He was carrying a knock at Euro so he did not perform as he should have.
panchester07 wrote:For me Ronaldo needs to play in team, and stop wanting every single ball..
He ruins the natural flow of the game (at times) - Other times, he does get it right.. But not EVERY free kick has to be for him, etc.
Imo people have the wrong perception about Ronaldo.Ronaldo does not ruin the natural flow of game all by himself.It is too much reliance on him by the coach,fans and his team mates which makes it bad/hard for him.Portugal do not have a single player other than Cristiano on whom they can rely to score.Moreover,Portugal team is mainly comprised of individual players rather than team players.For instance ,Simao,Nani,leidson .They all are good players individually but they do not do what is expected of them when they player together.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 11 Apr 2010, 21:49

I realised I made it sound like his career is over, that's just me talking when I'm half asleep, ignore it.

Ronaldo doesn't kill the flow of the game, he's just much more direct than any other player in the world at the moment, some people would consider that a bad thing, I don't. He was basically brought up in Manchester, as that's where he developed into the player he is now, and the Manchester United Ethos is, fast, effective, direct, counter-attacking football. That's the way he has played for 6 or 7 seasons, that's always going to be a part of his game. I think it suits Real Madrid, they tend to play a faster tempo than other teams in Spain, they are a sort of English styled side, if you like, so he fits in well there. It's just unfortunate how some areas of Real Madrid are disgustingly weak at the moment, but that's a talk for another time...

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 20 Apr 2010, 19:16

I was about to say Sniejder looks like the only Inter player who wants to win, so I guess him scoring is deserved. Good game so far except that terrible bit of defending from Inter.

Evan
Veteran Member

Post by Evan » 20 Apr 2010, 20:04

MILITO 3-1!
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 20 Apr 2010, 20:10

Sneijder is player of the game for sure IMO, he's been involved in everything Inter's done.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 20 Apr 2010, 20:57

Cambiasso, Thiago Motta, and Samuel eliminated that man called Messi..

Good win for Italian team with Argentinian and Brazilian players.. :lol:

This match should be a game an example of how to eliminate and control a team like Barcelona...

Espanyol kind of did it, but they just controlled Barcelona they never scored.

Chelsea had done it last year, but Barcelona went through anyway thanks to iniesta..

Inter did it today, and not only did they control Barca, they also took the time to score 3 good goals on em.. It was about time

Barcelona did posses, but very far away from Julio Cesar's goal..

Milito was excellent, magnificent pass to Sneijder..

Maicon was great, how in .005 seconds he controlled and shot in his goal was ridiculous

Sneijder was good as well..

"Impressive inter leave Barca on the ropes"

Puyol isn't going to be playing, so its directly gonnna be Milito vs Milito en Barcelona right? haha, how fun.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'