Blaugrana Thread

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
Post Reply
shahensha
Veteran Member
Posts: 2528
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 03:38
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Post

All discussions related to FC Barcelona right here

With the semi-final victory against Mexican club Atlante yesterday, Barcelona will face Estudiantes in the final of the club world cup. Granted this trophy is not held in high regards, however if Barcelona wins this tournament then they will go down in history as the only team to have won all competitions in a single season. 90 minutes away from completing the rare sixtuplet. Hopefully this unique record comes to fruition next weekend.

Speaking of unique records. Barcelona's young gun Pedro has become the only player in history to have scored in all 6 competitions in 1 season. (league, league cup, champions league, spanish super cup, uefa super cup and club world cup). He seems to be another brilliant wing-player with great dribbling and passing like Iniesta but he can shoot and score as well.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 15:39

Post

shahensha wrote:Granted this trophy is not held in high regard
I didnt even know it was on.

Are they playing any of the youngsters like Assulin or Dos Santos?

Nice fact about Pedro. He is really making a mark on the team, i didnt really rate him when i first saw him, but i think he's earned himself a status where he has more chance of making it at Barca than the likes of Busquets who could become the next G. Dos Santos
Image

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

ScottyBoy wrote:
shahensha wrote:Granted this trophy is not held in high regard
I didnt even know it was on.

Are they playing any of the youngsters like Assulin or Dos Santos?

Nice fact about Pedro. He is really making a mark on the team, i didnt really rate him when i first saw him, but i think he's earned himself a status where he has more chance of making it at Barca than the likes of Busquets who could become the next G. Dos Santos
they are playing all the stars, except iniesta who is ijnured for 2 more weeks.. they really outplayed atlante I wanted a 4-1 atleast..

At the end they were just doing fantasy plays like heel passes etc, nicer than normal combinations etc...

----

this trophy is actually important over here in latin america.. but obviously for the europeans its less significant because they are like USA basketball in the olympics, obviously gonna be favorite, because their leagues are much better...

But in latin america the first thing you say about your team is how many intercontinental championships it has.. the final is almost everytime a south american team vs a european team..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

shahensha
Veteran Member
Posts: 2528
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 03:38
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Post

It would have been 4-0 if all the starters played. Until Messi and Pique showed up and Iniesta moved to the middle, it was all possesion no product. Iniesta is gonna be a tough loss for the final. His brilliant pass basically handed Pedro the record. Then again, Messi played which I didnt expect considering the knock he picked up in his ankle. Worked out perfectly cause his first few touches lead to the go ahead goal. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Messi did make the defenders look like amateurs, especially when he dribbled out of triple coverage in midfield so the final should be fun.
ScottyBoy wrote:
shahensha wrote:Granted this trophy is not held in high regard
I didnt even know it was on.

Are they playing any of the youngsters like Assulin or Dos Santos?

Nice fact about Pedro. He is really making a mark on the team, i didnt really rate him when i first saw him, but i think he's earned himself a status where he has more chance of making it at Barca than the likes of Busquets who could become the next G. Dos Santos
Nope, Pedro started and Bojan came on as a sub. Assulin has yet to be promoted to the first team.

I doubt Busquets will be the next Gio. He is actually seeing more playing time over yaya toure. Guardiola sees the perfect pivot in him and he is gradually turning out to be one. Gio was just an arrogant brat. I like his younger brother though. From what i have seen in the pre season, he is a good deeplying playmaker. Very Xavi like.

shahensha
Veteran Member
Posts: 2528
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 03:38
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Post

YES, THE SIXTUPLET! Pedro scores the equalizer and Messi scores the winner! Wow that final was just as nerve-racking as the Chelsea semi-final.

Estiduantes took the early lead with some argie dude's header and then decided to park the bus. They appeared to become the eventual champions especially with sebato (number 2) hard work in defence until Pep made the most genius move ever. He told Pique to move up to the opponent's box and yelled at toure to launch a long ball. Pique headed the ball to Pedro who scored to tie the game in the 89th minute. Him bringing Pedro and toure on as subs a few minutes before adds to his genius. Then it went into overtime.

I expected estudiantes to attack for the winner thus creating more chances for us but instead they still parked the bus, making it evident they wanted a 50-50 chance with a penalty shootout, which really was a dumb mistake because Barca was bound to score.

Since the whole park the bus strategy is defeated with absorption and long-balls, it shouldnt be a surprise that the winning goal also came from the air. Alves lauched a cross into the box and Messi ran on to it to chest it home for the winner.

Messi: golden ball........veron: silver ball........xavi: bronze ball

Winning all 6 competitions in one season has never been accomplished by any team, thus with this victory, it is cemented in the record books that the 08-09 team of FC Barcelona aka Dream Team II = Best Team In The History of Football

Barca fans rejoice. Our lads added yet another record to their tally and a rare one at that.

Post Reply