The new Galacticos

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 31 Oct 2010, 20:22

The thing with Mourinho, is that he is a fantastic Manger, maybe destined to be the greatest ever, and he knows it. However, he also does what ever it takes to be the best manager, and if that means slagging of players to get a psychological edge, then he views it as a small, if any, price to pay.

Really can't wait for the Clasico.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 31 Oct 2010, 21:52

I would love to see the attacking flair of Di Maria and Ozil against Barcelona. They have indeed turned out to be terrific purchases.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 31 Oct 2010, 22:31

klc123 wrote:The thing with Mourinho, is that he is a fantastic Manger, maybe destined to be the greatest ever, and he knows it. However, he also does what ever it takes to be the best manager, and if that means slagging of players to get a psychological edge, then he views it as a small, if any, price to pay.

Really can't wait for the Clasico.
Hehe, destined? People make their own destinies and if anyone knows that its Mourinho. One of his main philosophies is if you don't work, at high intensities, and push yourself to the max you aren't even considered for games... I've been listening to him speaking in press conferences, and he basically is a winner, a guy that pushes to train to the limit, motivates them, pushes them, challenges them, comments like "Do you think your still playing in France, Benzema?", he basically is a winner that finds the way to get the complete best out of his players.. He writes his future by working so hard in the present, no destiny ....

I feel what you say about the psycological edge, but really does he think he's gonna affect at all profesionals like Villa, or those who play with Barceona by saying a few coments in a press conference? He says something, and what does Villa do, turn around and score 2 goals, could have been 3 or 4, like every match he plays.. Pro's get negativity from people all there careers, and i don't think they care about what another person thinks, because they are pro's..... Are they gonna feel insecure because Mourinho said something? Are they gonna have insomnia at night? Or feel self-concious? Not one bit, they are pro's.. Mourinho's comment don't affect barcelona.

Really he's comments don't intimidate profesionals, they wouldn't intimidate me, rather push me to work harder to shut his mouth, so all he does really is annoy a few people here and there.. I know Pep isn't shaking.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 31 Oct 2010, 22:34

Thats true. Pep understands the pressure players can feel and takes the edge off them all the time during press conferences. However, he doesnt feel the need to slander others to bring relief to his players.

Another interesting thing is that this season is the showdown between the veteran coach and the young hot-shot. Its gonna be exciting to see whose tactics reign supreme at the end of the season.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 31 Oct 2010, 23:22

Yeah, its gonna be interesting.. The thing with Barcelona, its that its a team with a philosophy, style and identity for more than 2 seasons now and have just reinforced it year after year..... Mou's Real Madrid, just found its identity this season, a few matches ago, though its scary how good they can play sometime, and they have all the ingredients to form an exellent team I don't know if they are at Barcelona's level of chemistry, understanding and floww who like i stated have been playing like this for years, and most for club and country...... We'll see in less than a month!

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 31 Oct 2010, 23:36

That's one of the biggest assets you can have like you said panch. In high school we played against 2 brothers, twins no less who had perfect understanding of each other and our coach called that a coaches wet dream. Barcelona essentially plays year round for 2 teams excluding very few players. The chemistry may be the biggest thing and if mou can shut down messi like he did when inter played Barcelona.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 31 Oct 2010, 23:57

Did he shut him down? Granted he didn't score and beat so many with ease, I think he was pretty active.... Messi is unshutablle, the only one that can shut him down is Diego Mardona!

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 01 Nov 2010, 01:12

He really didn't do a whole lot in that game they handled him well and he really didn't get inside the 20 often.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 01 Nov 2010, 03:20

To be honest this Madrid team isn't much different than last year. Remember that they still beat teams by high margins last year (outscored Barca on the year), but weren't as consistent as Barca (by 2 games) so didn't win the league. They're impressive and playing more as a "team" but they aren't playing "better" than they were last year technically

9 games into the season last year they'd won 7, tied 1, lost 1 and outscored opponents 26:7 (I think)

9 games into this season they've won won 7, tied 2 and outscored opponents 25:5 (I think)

Good this year, but they were good last year. Mourinho is a good manager and helping but he isn't working miracles by any means

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 01 Nov 2010, 05:14

The only difference is that Pellegrini had lost to Alcorcon 4-0 already, and to Milan in the champions league at home, and Mou hasn't lost a game.. Old Madrid was shaky in the back, with an awesome attack, this Madrid is awesome in the back, in the middle, and up front, and you can see that each game, they aren't vulnerable, they play with mad confidence, they are a much better team, before they where an okay team with huge names, now they are world class and you can compare them to great teams in Europe, Chelsea, Barca, etc.. Old madrid woud have gotten butt fu**ed by Man U, by Bayern, by Arsenal, by Inter no doubt.. Its notorious...

Granted both years they can beat Racing, and okay Spanish teams, this new Madrid is prepared for big games and you can see that.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 01 Nov 2010, 12:11

Truth be told, I have yet to see Madrid be tested by a strong team. Sure Milan is high calibre and all but their defending leading up to the two goals scored on them by madrid was hilariously woeful.

As for the differences between this year and last, yes the defence is much stronger. This carvalho fellow is a very intense and smart defender. He commands the backline expertly with Casillas. Thanks to him, Pepe is playing with some level headedness.......cant believe I would have ever said that lol

The inclusion of Khedira, Ozil and Di Maria has improved the midfield immensely. Khedira is a good ball winner and allows Alonso to sit back and spray passes left and right. Ofcourse, Ozil and Di Maria constantly making sneaky runs behind the defence really helps Alonso as well. Barcelona's love of pushing really high up during attacks could burn them thanks to Ozil and Di Maria, especially with Cronaldo or Higuain at the end of their precise crosses.

Last season with Pellegrini. Madrid's approach to football was possession play and good build up. Now, its lightning quick build up, with short one touch play and long-balls complimented by intelligent runs. As far as analogies go, Barca is like Mohammed Ali.....moving left and right, probing around, looking for an opening and then BAM...........whereas Madrid is like Manny Pacquiao.......punches so quick, you dont even see where they are coming from.

The most surprising thing however is that Cronaldo is a team-player now and less selfish, which is getting him more goals........ah irony...fate's sense of humour.

Mourinho is definitely changing things. He also looks like he is not willing to drop any points, which means the two rounds of El Clasico could decide who wins. Its Pep's toughest challenge. I cant wait to see how the mister fares against the special one in the most heated rivlary in football.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 01 Nov 2010, 16:26

Statistics and games won don't tell the story on how well a team is playing.

I don't know how Madrids fixture list for these first games compared with last seasons ones, but lets assume they are roughly the same difficulty.

Madrid are playing more consistent football. They are not giving away as many chances as they had last season. I know they are yet to face a true test of their ability, but their ability to cope with lower quality attacking forwards definitely seems to be improved regardless.

Skysports showed statistics from the last 9 games and last season, comparing how Real's goal tally had increased significantly, but their shots on goal was dramatically slashed. Their shots off target % has also been dramatically cut. Real are scoring more goals now with less chances and more and more of the chances they do have, are ending up on target or in the back of the net.

Then it came to possession. Their possession had actually increased from the average last season quite dramatically. It also showed a pitch, displaying where Real won the ball mostly last season, and where they are winning it now, it is significantly further up the pitch and much more often than not in the centre of the pitch. I'm sure you all will agree this indicates that they are not only starting to pass teams off the pitch, better, but overall their pressing and passing game combine together to result in them winning the midfield battle by a land slide.

All the statistics point towards Real actually playing a slower, possession game, where they wait for chances more, and have efforts on goal more sparingly, as to avoid losing the ball, waiting till the perfect moment. This would seem like on paper by statistics, that Real are playing more like Barcalona. This may not come as something unbelievable to people who have watched Barca pass teams to death for a few seasons, but what is surprising, is the fact that most of Reals goals actually come from when they are on the break.

And if you watch Real play, they are a much more tactical side in the sense that they wait for an opening, and then they break with pace with players like Ronaldo and absolutely rip teams apart. I don't know about you, but any manager who can get a team playing as efficiently as the statistics indicate Real are at the moment, but at the same time be defensively steadfast, as well as dangerous on the attack, is deservedly the best manager on the planet imo.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 01 Nov 2010, 17:43

Mourinho will definitely be considered the greatest coach ever if he manages to take Madrid past the round of 16 in the CL. lol

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 01 Nov 2010, 22:05

cbut at the same time be defensively steadfast, as well as dangerous on the attack, is deservedly the best manager on the planet imo.
Chilll out, there are just 1 point ahead of Barcelona, granted they are a much better side than last year, let him win something(with real) before you call him the best in the world... They virtually give him every player he wishes, Khedira, Ozeil, Carvalho, Di Maria,Pedro Leon, Canales he has the tools, and many managers don't, he's doing a decent job and we all know he is a very capable guy, but let him win the season before we started giving him titles, Barcelona might just rape Real Madrid 3-0 and then what? Is he not the best anymore? Let him take on some real challenges. Juventus just beat Milan 1-2 as a visitor and juventus plays the uefa cup, milan is no real thermometer to test real's level-

There are many teams that defend well and attack well, those are usually those we call World Class teams..

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 02 Nov 2010, 13:51

To change Real as much has he has changed them in such a short amount of time is a massive achievement on its own imo.

You say that he has access to any player, but pelligrini did and he was still not a great manager.

Pep has access to a lot of players, granted he is a brilliant coach, but you can't say only mourinho is the one with funding. Alex ferguson has been told he has 100 million to spend as he wishes, that doesn't mean United will win the league or champions league, and he is a brilliant coach.