La Liga on ESPN!

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

La Liga on ESPN!

Post by soccer11 » 23 Jun 2009, 00:35

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

La liga will be shown on ESPN. This makes me happy. Any thoughts? I think this has a lot to do with c.ronaldo and Kaka going there.
Image

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post by 2brown347 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:05

They got a similar deal with the EPL. Seems like soccers gaining a little more popularity in the US. Hopefully

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by soccer11 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:09

2brown347 wrote:They got a similar deal with the EPL. Seems like soccers gaining a little more popularity in the US. Hopefully
I saw that but I think the EPL ESPN deal is only for Britain. I could be wrong though. do you mean this story?
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
because that's only Britain, unless I missed a story.
Image

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post by 2brown347 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:13

soccer11 wrote:
2brown347 wrote:They got a similar deal with the EPL. Seems like soccers gaining a little more popularity in the US. Hopefully
I saw that but I think the EPL ESPN deal is only for Britain. I could be wrong though. do you mean this story?
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
because that's only Britain, unless I missed a story.
I just skipped it but thats the one. Kinda missed the only in Britain part.

whatznext
Senior Member
Posts: 239
Joined: 11 Jul 2007, 00:31

Post by whatznext » 23 Jun 2009, 01:16

i thounght i heard something about the CL on ESPN being bought out by FSC? iam not to sure about it.

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by soccer11 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:20

whatznext wrote:i thounght i heard something about the CL on ESPN being bought out by FSC? iam not to sure about it.
this is true, which is upsetting. A lot of people don't have FSC and most importantly, I don't have it up at college.
Image

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post by MUFC1994 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:27

soccer11 wrote:
whatznext wrote:i thounght i heard something about the CL on ESPN being bought out by FSC? iam not to sure about it.
this is true, which is upsetting. A lot of people don't have FSC and most importantly, I don't have it up at college.
And FSC picture quality sucks....I actually enjoyed watching the CL on HD...
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

united10
Veteran Member
Posts: 305
Joined: 27 Apr 2007, 02:47

Post by united10 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:36

fsc did buy the rights to the CL but they are going to start playing games on like the FOX channel also and they are going to have games in HD by January.
Image

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by soccer11 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:43

united10 wrote:fsc did buy the rights to the CL but they are going to start playing games on like the FOX channel also and they are going to have games in HD by January.
what do you mean? I don't think I saw that. Do you mean they'll be showing it on the local Fox affiliate? Because I don't remember reading that.
Image

united10
Veteran Member
Posts: 305
Joined: 27 Apr 2007, 02:47

Post by united10 » 23 Jun 2009, 01:58

not local channels at least from what i understand but like the fox movie channel im not sure what its called its on normal cable...its called FX but yeah there will be games on there as well and they are looking to be in more houses and be more accessible as the year progresses
Image

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by soccer11 » 23 Jun 2009, 02:20

united10 wrote:not local channels at least from what i understand but like the fox movie channel im not sure what its called its on normal cable...its called FX but yeah there will be games on there as well and they are looking to be in more houses and be more accessible as the year progresses
o seriously? well that's pretty good then. I'll just wait and see I guess.
Image

whatznext
Senior Member
Posts: 239
Joined: 11 Jul 2007, 00:31

Post by whatznext » 23 Jun 2009, 02:31

if there wanting it to be more accessible then why did they take it off a nation wide channel? i hate FCS, but the only reason i watch CL is for Barc so its good that its coming on ESPN now

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post by arsenalfc08 » 23 Jun 2009, 02:33

FX? Are you sure. Where I live FX shows movies and shows like Rescue Me and Nip Tuck. I doubt they would show soccer.

Fox Soccer Channel got the CL rights and will be moving into HD programming soon.

The ESPN EPL deal is only for the UK. Setanta Sports USA is still in business but the regular Europe Setanta isn't. Though there have been rumors that Setanta USA could be next to fall.

Its cool to see La Liga getting air time. Hopefully the ESPN UK deal brings more soccer to Sports Center. I don't watch sports center that much but I hope they show some highlights and not just talk about when something big happens. Hopefully it will gain ESPN/Sports Center's respect. Whenever I hear them talk about soccer one of the commentator guys seems to always seem uninterested that he has to talk about the piece or put in a sly remark. One time it was "I should be talking about girls in bikini's but instead i'm talking about the Confederations Cup".

Still its a huge step forward. I think the States ESPN could get the EPL rights. Isn't the owner of Disney, which owns ESPN, a soccer fan? I believe he is or someone high up there is.
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 23 Jun 2009, 02:38, edited 2 times in total.

united10
Veteran Member
Posts: 305
Joined: 27 Apr 2007, 02:47

Post by united10 » 23 Jun 2009, 02:37

arsenalfc08 wrote:FX? Are you sure. Where I live FX shows movies and shows like Rescue Me and Nip Tuck. I doubt they would show soccer.
yeah its the same where i live but i was thinking it could be like how TNT shows the NBA but other than that they just show movies and stuff
Image

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post by arsenalfc08 » 23 Jun 2009, 02:39

united10 wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:FX? Are you sure. Where I live FX shows movies and shows like Rescue Me and Nip Tuck. I doubt they would show soccer.
yeah its the same where i live but i was thinking it could be like how TNT shows the NBA but other than that they just show movies and stuff
True. And the best thing is FX available, at least here, with the basic $50 cable package. No digital or satelite cable needed.

ESPN is sharing the la liga rights with Gol TV. ESPN will air 20 games. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD98VU0A80

Post Reply