Where It All Goes Wrong

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
NewBornProdigy
Admin

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 90,00.html

I dunno has anyone spotted this, but read this paticular quote
Uli Hoeness - Bayern Munich Manager wrote:If I hear that there was an offer for 125m euros for Kaka, then Ribery has a market value of at least 100m
This is proof of how money will make football reach ridiculous heights of irresponsible spending, even though the bid never went through Kaka's alegged 'super bid' has had a lasting affect on the football economy already
Some current clubs, I fear will be bought out of competition

Its a active proof of inflation in football, how are Arsenal, Villa, Valencia etc gonna keep up with Man City, Chealsa and Madrid?

Get ready for the Domino Effect, cause if this time last year a 60m Ronaldo bid seemed crazy and now 100m seems possible, think of years to come

evo

The reason prices are going through the roof is because of people glory hunting and supporting the big clubs. They have so many fans and audience through TV and the media that the money going around is stupidly high.

Proper fans are now being pushed out of football due to ticket prices going up at clubs because they need money to compeat with the big clubs. You honestly don't know how annoyed I get when I see people walking about in my town with a Celtic, Rangers, Man Utd, Chelsea etc. shirt on, makes me just want to go and punch them and ram some sense into their brains. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUB.

I know there is alot of Americans and people who do not have good leagues in their area but the reason the league is not big is because people like you would rather watch the EPL in your armchair than get out, pay the money to your local clubs and leagues. When Man Utd or Chelsea win something it doesn't affect you one bit, but if your local club wins it then you can actually have pride in it.

Yes we all idolise the great players like Ronaldo and it's good to watch them but whem I train, I don't do it because I want to be like them, I train to bring pride to my club. I don't want to win trophies for Manchester, I'll do it for Dundee.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

I don't have a local club within about 1000 miles.....that is one reason why i support man utd.....but i don't just support them becuase I glory hunt, I also have other reasons. It sucks t live in the US... :(
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

so u do glory hunt? :?
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

evo wrote:The reason prices are going through the roof is because of people glory hunting and supporting the big clubs. They have so many fans and audience through TV and the media that the money going around is stupidly high.

Proper fans are now being pushed out of football due to ticket prices going up at clubs because they need money to compeat with the big clubs. You honestly don't know how annoyed I get when I see people walking about in my town with a Celtic, Rangers, Man Utd, Chelsea etc. shirt on, makes me just want to go and punch them and ram some sense into their brains. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUB.

I know there is alot of Americans and people who do not have good leagues in their area but the reason the league is not big is because people like you would rather watch the EPL in your armchair than get out, pay the money to your local clubs and leagues. When Man Utd or Chelsea win something it doesn't affect you one bit, but if your local club wins it then you can actually have pride in it.

Yes we all idolise the great players like Ronaldo and it's good to watch them but whem I train, I don't do it because I want to be like them, I train to bring pride to my club. I don't want to win trophies for Manchester, I'll do it for Dundee.
Here's how the TV money works
This is 07/08
The Premier League’s TV broadcasting deals brings in £2.7 billion over three years. Of this, £22.8 million is paid to every Premier League club as part of an equal share of revenue. On top of this, clubs are paid prize-money relative to their final position in the league (Manchester United got £14.4 million, Derby got £720,000) and then earnings from the live matches in which they are featured (Manchester United, with 25 matches, made £12.1 million, while Derby got the guaranteed minimum payment for clubs no-one watches of £5.6m)
In saying that Fulham got £31 million for surviving the relegation battle, more that what Chelsea got for coming 2nd in 2006/2007

What went in altogether from TV from those 3 years: £815 million
What Abromivich has put into Chealsa in the last 4 years: £578 million
Thats not including all the rejected bids he's made and nowhere near the amount City will have available to them

I'm not arguing btw just throwing some facts out there

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

the money issue can be a bad thing but if u look at it this way...ill start with a line that have become a part of me,names dont win games,u can spend the money all u like bring in big names and still lose 3 0 on the weekend,but yes,money does spoil some clubs,chelsea dont do it anymore,i am referring to buying what they dont need,buck have just said a couple days ago that roman would be willing to pay big,but only if the move makes sense and benefits chelsea fc and they are clubs who get along with little money,like everton,moyes has managed to make a good team without the money to waste,NBP has told me that arsenal arent rich but arent poor,well,even if they are rich,that man wegner is smart,he never wastes money,he only buys wat he needs or what he thinks will benefit the club,he is wise

evo i agree wid u on the supporting ur local club,but it cant work for me cause here in barbados we dont have a pro league and i like chelsea alot,im chelsea till i die but i must admit,if we get a pro league out here(should come soon cause football is getting big),i might just be forced to put chelsea aside but for now,i just go to cricket matches and support the west indies(as most ppl should know,out here,cricket is life)
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

soccer11
Admin

Well I live around Detroit and the closest team to me is the Crew but I hate everything about Ohio so I won't support them. It'd be nice if I had a true local team but I don't so I have to find someone to root for and that just happens to be Manchester United. I get bashed for it by just about every Hungarian I'm around (because Hungarians, for whatever reason, hate United) but I don't care. I love my United.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:Well I live around Detroit and the closest team to me is the Crew but I hate everything about Ohio so I won't support them. It'd be nice if I had a true local team but I don't so I have to find someone to root for and that just happens to be Manchester United. I get bashed for it by just about every Hungarian I'm around (because Hungarians, for whatever reason, hate United) but I don't care. I love my United.
Same with me. Well, besides the Hungarian part. I've supported United since I started watching football. I also support the Dutch NT because I have family ties of sorts, so I'm aloud to. :P I do support another club now which I really have no business supporting, the Seattle Sounders, but I love the team so I honestly don't give a sh*t and I don't really have a 'home team' so I think it's excusable.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

Evo puts up a very valid point but consider this. My home team is Sydney FC. You have probably never watched a Sydney game, and i hope you never have to. They are incredibly boring to watch, they either play long ball which is the death of football or they dont show up at all. And about the team representing your area, one whole Sydney team doesnt represent me at all, it is a very big city. Back before A league there were many Sydney teams which represented people in different areas, backgrounds, races, now they have one team and you have to go into the city to see them play.

So when i prefer to watch Barcelona instead, to buy their merchandise, i dont see what i am doing wrong. They play the best football in the world, that is why i like them, not just because they win, although people in the countries like USA and Australia often only see the winning teams which is why they support them. Now i know Barcelona are a big club and obviously without the money they wouldnt be as good as they are, but there are many clubs which play good football which dont have to be the best, thats what it should be about, the entertainment value, otherwise there is no importance in professional football.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

The other chain effect that these kinda story produces is that it encourages criticism in the media and further pressure on the player and the people involved, even when they come out to reject these rumours. Players need more protection on the transfer market, like in hockey or other American-based sports, where agents and players can't publicly rumorize about possible transfers or happenings.

There's gotta be some big event to remind fans and the media that players aren't a walking wad of cash that can be auctioned off (Man City not being able to sign good players already is a decent example). I support whatever UEFA is (trying to) do to balance out the spending power of big clubs, and I hope to see more equality and more competition in the coming years because of possible changes and realizations that could come. No more 100 mill offers; if the player's not for sale (as clearly stated by a club), the press shouldn't have a right to continue with the rumours unless advancements in talks in fact do happen.

John_Bob
Veteran Member

BGbeast23 wrote:I do support another club now which I really have no business supporting, the Seattle Sounders
Don't worry I permit this support of my team. Really, it is justifiable for anyone to follow the Sounders cause they are pretty bad ass. Rave green ftw!

evo

You shouldn't support a team because they are good. When my team are going good it actually effects me, my whole attitude and approach to life changes and I'm positive about everything.

An example would be, you wouldn't support your rival school team, you'd support your schools team because they are your school, they win and you win. When Man Utd win a game it's Manchester that wins not you in America.

It would be great if everyone from the area supported the local clubs, then we'd have proper pride in football, imagine a whole town with complete loyalty to one club, it would be great for football.

shahensha
Veteran Member

stop broadcasting the games in other places then

ratherton
Veteran Member

I agree with Evo. Apparently some person in Kenya hanged themselves when Arsenal lost to Man U in the semi-final of the Champions League. Many people think that is very sad, I prefer to think of it as "natural selection".

The problem is actually worse as this glory-hunting is rapidly spreading to international football too.

At the World Cup in Germany, there were loads of Japanese and even Germans supporting England. Don't suppose any of them will be in Almaty next Saturday - the muppets !!

Anymi
Veteran Member

evo wrote:The reason prices are going through the roof is because of people glory hunting and supporting the big clubs. They have so many fans and audience through TV and the media that the money going around is stupidly high.

Something that alot of teams will be doing is like what Liverpool does. The Reds are still not a dominant soccer force thing, and I hope it stays that way. But for fans priced out of the game, AFC Liverpool was created and now in like a North Conference Division of some sort.

More teams will do this I think, a fan made team like AFC Liverpool