Champions League 08-09 discussion thread

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 11 Mar 2009, 10:59

DouDou wrote:
soccer11 wrote:I was pissed off about the game. I only saw the first 2 goals.

1st goal: Torres pulled Pepe down.

2nd goal: That was his shoulder, not his arm. Shouldn't have been a penalty.

and by then the game was too far out of reach.

I was bust after so I couldn't see the rest of the game.
Yeah, that really pisses me off, how Liverpool is always lucky in the Champions League, what is also more annoying is how their fans are always wining about being unfairly treated by the refs, :shock:
LUCKY!!! Its tactical genius. Rafa also wanted Liverpool to go flat out in the first twenty and get it over and done with. Sub a few players rest them for a bigger game on Saturday. We realise u dont go for Liverpool Soccer11 so dont make excuses, i beleive it wasnt Heinzes shoulder, but it was accicedental momentum, so no penalty. Doesnt matter we slaughtered Madrid. If anything we were unlikely not to win 10-0.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 11 Mar 2009, 14:14

Yeah there is no way Liverpool is lucky in the Champions League. They always perform well on the European stage and I always predict that they will go far. I knew they would eliminate R.Madrid because they have done poorly the past few times in the Champs League. They played awful yesterday and Liverpool picked them apart with ease.

RT90
Sophomore Member

Post by RT90 » 11 Mar 2009, 18:45

The ref did make a bad call on Heinze's handball. However, Liverpool controlled the game from beginning to end anyways.

BTW, I read in the paper a while back that Pepe was looking forward to getting physical with Torres. lol its obvious who won that battle

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 11 Mar 2009, 22:51

Another game, another win for the champions.
there were a few scares but that's all they were. It was a pretty good game with chances on both sides, like i expected, but we capitalized and Inter didn't.
I thought Tevez should've played, i think there were a few places where he actually would've moved for the ball whereas Berbatov doesn't really do any movement.
All in all, we're going to win it again :D

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 11 Mar 2009, 22:56

DouDou wrote:

Yeah, that really pisses me off, how Liverpool is always lucky in the Champions League, what is also more annoying is how their fans are always wining about being unfairly treated by the refs, :shock:
Haha give me one reason why were lucky in the CL and ill give you 10 way we are not lucky.

Just to tell you where i stand on the goals and how we were LUCKY in the game last night ....

1st half.

Goal 1 - Pepe is a huge centre back, something like 6 foot 3. A little touch of the shoulder like that wouldnt bring someone crashing to the floor, in fact if he had stayed on his feet i bet he could have cleared it.

Goal 2 - Admit the pen was a joke. I shouted hand ball, looking from the ref's view which was behind the player and ball. The ball hit him around shoulder and his arm was in the air after, big shout for hand ball but the lino should have said.

So first half liverpool were lucky and real madrid had everything against them ? Care to tell me where real madrid even had a shot and how casilas didnt keep them in the tie inside 5 minutes ?

2nd Half goals were brilliant build up especially the first and then we could just sit back an invite real onto us to try and score. Its easy to say we were lucky but thats like saying real were lucky it was 6-0 or more.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 11 Mar 2009, 22:58

NO!!!!!!!!!!! Man Utd will go down!! Okay, probably not.
They made all their chances count and Inter did not. That is what makes Man Utd a great team. They capitalize on all their chances. No surprise if they make it to the finals again.

Barca-Lyon was a shootout with a total of 7 goals!! It was an exciting match and Barca had control of the match. They were never gonna lose that match.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 11 Mar 2009, 23:46

Croatianblood1 wrote:NO!!!!!!!!!!! Man Utd will go down!! Okay, probably not.
They made all their chances count and Inter did not. That is what makes Man Utd a great team. They capitalize on all their chances. No surprise if they make it to the finals again.

Barca-Lyon was a shootout with a total of 7 goals!! It was an exciting match and Barca had control of the match. They were never gonna lose that match.
The other reason Man U are awsome is that they have so many quality players. Everyone can admit that Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool can whip out a quality team when its necessary, but Man U have the depth and can rest players like Ronaldo week in week out and still come off because they have good back ups.

I saw the penalty shootout Croationblood. Your man missed, lucky the rest scored. LOL. Eduardos quality though dont get me wrong.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 12 Mar 2009, 03:10

Yeah I was a bit upset to see Eduardo miss. He did look a bit nervous taking the pk though. Anyway Vucinic's miss was pretty bad. He shot it straight at Almunia thinking he could fake him out or something. Well that failed.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

Post by truesocceroo » 12 Mar 2009, 11:05

DouDou wrote:

You cant win 4-0 with luck. What a ridiculous statement. Not even going to justify why because that is just a stupid thing to say. From watching their performances over these matches, all this talk about Casillas as he is a great keeper, the standout for me was Julio Cesar, played brilliantly, Inter were just not up to the standard of Man Utd.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 12 Mar 2009, 12:54

The Arsenal game was nerve wracking. What about Baptista? Thank god we didn't sign him. He had 2 chances to put the game away for Roma, then he scores his penalty lol.

I was more nervous when we got through our 5 players. I'm really happy Denilson scored but man I was about to lose it when Sagna stepped up. The guy sucks at crosses, and I was praying he knew how to take a penalty.

The next guy for Roma really fu**ed it up for his team. Glad we won but it was scary.

fawad000

Post by fawad000 » 12 Mar 2009, 15:14

truesocceroo wrote:
DouDou wrote:

You cant win 4-0 with luck. What a ridiculous statement. Not even going to justify why because that is just a stupid thing to say. From watching their performances over these matches, all this talk about Casillas as he is a great keeper, the standout for me was Julio Cesar, played brilliantly, Inter were just not up to the standard of Man Utd.
I would not like to start an another argument here but yh Liverpool were lucky against Real madrid;lucky with scoreline.I knew that Liverpool was always gonna win that match but not with that scoreline.They could beat Rm 2-0 at most,nothing more than that.This topic does not please me anymore so I would not go into details.1 more year,sh*t so good luck to the fans of remaining teams.

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 12 Mar 2009, 15:52

fawad000 wrote:
truesocceroo wrote:
DouDou wrote: Yeah, that really pisses me off, how Liverpool is always lucky in the Champions League, what is also more annoying is how their fans are always wining about being unfairly treated by the refs, :shock:
I would not like to start an another argument here but yh Liverpool were lucky against Real madrid;lucky with scoreline.I knew that Liverpool was always gonna win that match but not with that scoreline.They could beat Rm 2-0 at most,nothing more than that.This topic does not please me anymore so I would not go into details.1 more year,sh*t so good luck to the fans of remaining teams.
Are you kidding? How are we lucky ? Ive already said. Watch the game and you'll see it that real madrid were lucky it wasnt 5-0 even if the penaltey wasnt given. They were just LUCKY casilas was having a good day.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 12 Mar 2009, 16:27

Liverpool was not lucky. They always play well in the Champions League matches and they always go far. They won it in 2005 and were runners-up in 2007. There's no way a team can get that far through luck. Liverpool completely outplayed R.Madrid. Madrid blows in the CL. Look at their recent results. They haven't made it past the round of 16 since 2003/2004 CL campaign.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 12 Mar 2009, 18:12

Surprised there is little mention of the Roma Ultras attacking people again last night

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 896014.ece

Its about time Italian clubs were banned from European competitions.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

fawad000

Post by fawad000 » 12 Mar 2009, 22:54

powell wrote:
fawad000 wrote:
truesocceroo wrote: You cant win 4-0 with luck. What a ridiculous statement. Not even going to justify why because that is just a stupid thing to say. From watching their performances over these matches, all this talk about Casillas as he is a great keeper, the standout for me was Julio Cesar, played brilliantly, Inter were just not up to the standard of Man Utd.
Are you kidding? How are we lucky ? Ive already said. Watch the game and you'll see it that real madrid were lucky it wasnt 5-0 even if the penaltey wasnt given. They were just LUCKY casilas was having a good day.
First of all,tell me what team does casillas plays for? ...Real Madrid,so if he was having a good day,that does not mean Rm was also having a good day. casillas is a part of Rm.Secondly ,you did not read my post thoroughly,read it again and you will find the answer...hopefully.