Your Thoughts on EURO 08

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
messi19
Veteran Member
Posts: 883
Joined: 21 Mar 2008, 05:36

Post

canadianfootballer wrote:this might be slightly off topic but how do the real madrid players (ramos, casillas) get along with the barca players ( puyol, iniesta, xavi) ?
Because there playing for Spain, not Barcelona or Madrid. There you used to be problems in the past with Barca and Madrid players not getting on. But I think they realise that they have to get on with each other so they will win tournaments.
Image

Image

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

DeeChan
Senior Member
Posts: 106
Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:27

Post

shahensha wrote:yee xavi won the best player of the tournament according to uefa.

they also announced the 23 man team and Cronaldo isnt on the list......omg shocking!!!!1
Didn't he only play 3 games all-together?
I don't remember him on the third match. He was again behind Schweinsteiger vs the Germans, and I didn't see much of him during any of Portugal's matches. What can be so shocking about it?

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member
Posts: 2159
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 20:15

Post

canadianfootballer wrote:this might be slightly off topic but how do the real madrid players (ramos, casillas) get along with the barca players ( puyol, iniesta, xavi) ?
Their style is similar, and they have good chemistry from about 3-4 months of work and practice. That's why Torres is slightly off because his style isn't like the Spanish style anymore (it's the Liverpool kick-and-run style) so he didn't excel as much as he could've.

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post

Kakasgotskillz wrote:Their style is similar, and they have good chemistry from about 3-4 months of work and practice. That's why Torres is slightly off because his style isn't like the Spanish style anymore (it's the Liverpool kick-and-run style) so he didn't excel as much as he could've.
I honestly don't believe that, he's been playing that style his entire life and he wouldn't lose it that fast. On top of that there are lots of players who play in England and still maintain the style of play that their national team does. He got out played and that's about it.

I also don't think Xavi deserved it, I don't really know who should of tbh but IMO he didn't deserve it. and I do think Nistarooy shoulda been on the list of 23

Davidson9
Veteran Member
Posts: 4471
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 18:41

Post

2brown347 wrote:Nistarooy
Who?


:wink:


Best Player: Puyol, Xavi, Podolski

Best Game: Turkey vs. Czech Republic

Best Goal: Nihat vs. Czech (The one that made it 3 - 2).

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post

Davidson9 wrote:
2brown347 wrote:Nistarooy
Best Player: Puyol, Xavi, Podolski
Dno't jduge me bcuease i cna't selpl!

I agree with Podolski, but I wasn't impressed with Xavi honestly he's like 6th on my list of just Spainish players. And Puyol...... well he was the best defender IMO, but overall I thought the level of defending was below par

Hugh
Veteran Member
Posts: 2863
Joined: 20 Jan 2007, 20:26
Location: Vancouver

Post

Real_Zidane wrote:
barcahooligan wrote:Puyol was by far the best centreback in the wole tournement......
That's not saying much...
Yeah, without england there anyone winning best centreback would be like the USA winning the world cup if no one from any other continent qualified... Or mexico.

shahensha
Veteran Member
Posts: 2528
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 03:38
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Post

hein? ofcourse, the genius of english centrebacks is definitely the reason why England made the euro this year...


As for puyol, he definitely deserves some credit for his contribution to spain winning the tournament. One of few spanish players who had consistency in each of their performances. Countless times he covered for the mistake's made by sergio ramos and marchena. He was clearing out ariel threats, making tackles in the box and expertly cutting off passes.

He was the main reason why Luca Toni looked like a striker from a 4th tier team. Remember arshavin winning a huge following after ridiculing the dutch defence? Yeah that fellow was totally nullified by puyol in the semi-final.

Clearly he played a very crucial role in spain's dominant performance this tournament. Call it bias or a fair judgment I dont really give a sh*t.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member
Posts: 2959
Joined: 25 May 2005, 21:36
Location: New York, USA

Post

shahensha wrote:hein? ofcourse, the genius of english centrebacks is definitely the reason why England made the euro this year...


As for puyol, he definitely deserves some credit for his contribution to spain winning the tournament. One of few spanish players who had consistency in each of their performances. Countless times he covered for the mistake's made by sergio ramos and marchena. He was clearing out ariel threats, making tackles in the box and expertly cutting off passes.

He was the main reason why Luca Toni looked like a striker from a 4th tier team. Remember arshavin winning a huge following after ridiculing the dutch defence? Yeah that fellow was totally nullified by puyol in the semi-final.

Clearly he played a very crucial role in spain's dominant performance this tournament. Call it bias or a fair judgment I dont really give a sh*t.
Yeah Puyol reminded me of Cannavaro from the World Cup '06. He played very well and didn't make many mistakes at all.

Sergio Ramos also played pretty well. He has great stamina, always running up the right side of the field to attack and coming back to defend.
Image

shahensha
Veteran Member
Posts: 2528
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 03:38
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Post

yeah he was a bit shaky at the start of the tournament but started to remind everyone of the ramos of madrid in the games against russia and germany. He was phenomenal against germany. One of the best on the pitch that night.

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

UEFA have also announced their 'Team of the Tournament'. I assume that alcohol was involved in the decision making as I can't think of any other reason why Philipp Lahm would be included...

UEFA EURO 2008 Team of the Tournament
Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands).

Defenders: Bosingwa (Portugal), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Carlos Marchena (Spain), Pepe (Portugal), Carles Puyol (Spain), Yuri Zhirkov (Russia).

Midfielders: Hamit Altıntop (Turkey), Luka Modrić (Croatia), Marcos Senna (Spain), Xavi Hernández (Spain), Konstantin Zyryanov (Russia), Michael Ballack (Germany), Cesc Fàbregas (Spain), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Lukas Podolski (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands).

Forwards: Andrei Arshavin (Russia), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Russia), Fernando Torres (Spain), David Villa (Spain).

BGbeast23
Veteran Member
Posts: 2774
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 21:31

Post

Really, Lahm instead of Van Bronckhorst? :?

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member
Posts: 2959
Joined: 25 May 2005, 21:36
Location: New York, USA

Post

Well they included Luka Modric, I was just looking for at least one Croatian player on that list.
Image

barcahooligan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post

the winning goal over turkey im guessing is the only reason the out Lahm in the squad............ :?
Image
sig by 2brown347

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member
Posts: 1925
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 17:36

Post

I hear all this talk about Puyol being this amazing center back but honestly, Senna made him look better than he actually was. Senna was absolutely brilliant in the knockout stages. He closed down the feed from midfield against Russia, Germany and Italy, making Arshavin, Klose, and Toni look useless and making life easy for the centre backs of Spain so like someone said earlier Puyol could back up Ramos when he found himself out of position. Without Senna as a holding midfielder, the Spanish backline would have been ripped apart. There's no doubt in my mind Senna was player of the tournament. He made the simple passes when he needed to, and also played more complex balls when needed, He was the new Makelele in this tournament and IMO the Makelele role is the most underappreciated position in the game. I'm not saying Puyol is bad, but he wasn't brilliant in this tournament and compared to most CBs in this tournament he was a little above average.
Image

Post Reply