Your Thoughts on EURO 08

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 01 Jul 2008, 16:27

BGbeast23 wrote:Really, Lahm instead of Van Bronckhorst? :?
I know! How can they put that little midget Lahm instead of Van bronckhorst? Van bronckhorst played a major part in Holland winning all there group games. Lahm was the one who made the mistake for Torres to score in the final.

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 01 Jul 2008, 17:54

my thoughts: THE BEST EURO I HAVE EVER SEEN

Euro 2008 has been the best European cup i have ever seen. that is because it is the only one i have ever seen.

I enjoyed it because of all the surprises it had.
Upsets: Netherlands winning all group matches by at least 2 then losing 3-1 to russia. France failing to pass group stage. Greece not living up to the exceptions of there previous euro cup title.

Underdogs moving up: Russia nailing second in the group beating greece and sweden. Beating big dogs holland 3-1, and making the semi finals even though falling to spain still earing a bronze medal. Turkey making it up the semifinals yet to lose to runner ups germany 3-2.

BEST GAME: Germany vs Turkey semi finals 3-2, Russia Holland quarter finals 3-1 or Croatia Turkey quarter finals match 1-1 turkey nab penalties win.

BEST PLAYER: Bastian Schweinsteiger(germany), Sergio Ramos(spain) or Roman Pavluchenko (russia)
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

Post by tevezaholic » 01 Jul 2008, 18:11

how the hell can u put sergio ramos as one of ur best players?

best players:Schweinstiger,Puyol,Casillas

best goal:Lahm vs Turkey

best match:Germany vs Turkey

most dissapointing match:Spain vs Germany,it was boring for a final
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 01 Jul 2008, 18:24

I think Zlatan Ibrahimovic's strike versus Greece was fantastic. Definitely one of the best goals of the tournament if not the best goal of the tournament IMO. He struck the ball perfectly with power and accuracy into the top left corner. World class goal.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fpPkG-eLg8k&feature=related

Ballack13
Veteran Member

Post by Ballack13 » 01 Jul 2008, 18:32

Didnt see this topic till now, Ill just give my thoughts.

I thought the Euro 2008 in austria and switzerland didnt live up to the hype, with all the rainstorms and flooding and stupid power-outages, I didnt get the same feeling as the world cup in 06. And with all the european power houses getting knocked out early it wasnt as much fun to watch Turkey v.s Croatia in the Quarters for example.
Only real footballers could fight like this.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 01 Jul 2008, 18:56

Ballack13 wrote:it wasnt as much fun to watch Turkey v.s Croatia in the Quarters for example.
What u talkin bout that match was tight the way Turkey came back in extra time then won 3-1 on pk's. A real good match if i do say so myself.
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 01 Jul 2008, 19:07

chicagofirefan wrote:
Ballack13 wrote:it wasnt as much fun to watch Turkey v.s Croatia in the Quarters for example.
What u talkin bout that match was tight the way Turkey came back in extra time then won 3-1 on pk's. A real good match if i do say so myself.
Yeah, for me it was fun to watch.....until Turkey scored. But I think Croatia can be considered a powerhouse now. They did beat Germany in the group stages and most people thought Croatia would be crap without Eduardo. Who knows what we could have done with him playing.

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Post by Davidson9 » 01 Jul 2008, 19:11

I think with DuDu playing the Semi-Finals would have been a reachable task. If he was on top form obviously they would have been much better.

messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 01 Jul 2008, 19:37

Davidson9 wrote:I think with DuDu playing the Semi-Finals would have been a reachable task. If he was on top form obviously they would have been much better.
Even if Croatia had Eduardo, that still wouldnt of changed the fact that they could only score one penalty in the penalty shootout and also I dont think it would of made alot of difference without Eduardo. Croatia normally play quite attacking and Olic was mainley there key front player, so do you think it would of made a big difference if they had Eduardo? Sure they may of got a few more goals, but either way I dont think they could of beat Germany again in semi-finals.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 01 Jul 2008, 19:41

messi19 wrote:
Davidson9 wrote:I think with DuDu playing the Semi-Finals would have been a reachable task. If he was on top form obviously they would have been much better.
Even if Croatia had Eduardo, that still wouldnt of changed the fact that they could only score one penalty in the penalty shootout and also I dont think it would of made alot of difference without Eduardo. Croatia normally play quite attacking and Olic was mainley there key front player, so do you think it would of made a big difference if they had Eduardo? Sure they may of got a few more goals, but either way I dont think they could of beat Germany again in semi-finals.
Well Eduardo and Olic work well together and Eduardo scored most of the goals for Croatia during qualifying. He is much better than Olic and he would have capitalized on chances that Olic did not. But who knows how far Croatia could have gotten with him. Having him during the tournament would have changed our tactics a bit.

Ballack13
Veteran Member

Post by Ballack13 » 01 Jul 2008, 23:22

chicagofirefan wrote:
Well, for me, I personally dont like to watch 2 teams I dont like, playing for a boring 90 minutes and have the only goals scored at the last minute. And then go through over-time and a PK shootout where 6 year olds could do better. Just my opinion though.
Only real footballers could fight like this.

messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 01 Jul 2008, 23:46

Ballack13 wrote:
chicagofirefan wrote:
Well, for me, I personally dont like to watch 2 teams I dont like, playing for a boring 90 minutes and have the only goals scored at the last minute. And then go through over-time and a PK shootout where 6 year olds could do better. Just my opinion though.
Yeah I agree, except is was exciting in the 2nd half. And yeah, Croatia's penaltys were the worst ive ever seen. 2 of them were off target!

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 02 Jul 2008, 02:12

Yeah Croatia was pretty demoralized after Turkey tied the game in the last few seconds of the extra time. And Modric never misses a pk and then during the shootout he missed wide which is not like him at all. And Rakitic pretty much crapped his pants.

But at least I got to see what Croatia is capable of doing. Beating Turkey would have been great because reaching the semifinals would have been a dream. We had like 12/1 odds to win the tournament, same as the Dutch, so I can't be very upset.

Beating Germany was great to see. Nothing like taking down the tournament favorites. But it would have been great to make the semis.