Uefa Champions League final 2008/2009

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Who the fu** are Manchester United
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

soccer11
Admin

Kasaki wrote:I think saf messed up big, 2 players who started park and anderson should have started , park couldnt control the ball and should have been replaced alot earlier , also berba should have started his ability to create chances is exactly what we needed, rooney should have been in the middle, and I think Ronaldo had a really good game the rest of man u didnt besides van der sar and tevez, ronaldo had plenty of chances but when his team started booting the ball he couldnt do anything about it, as a man u fan am sad right now :cry:
Van der Sar wasn't that good. He should've saved that goal from eto'o. Park should never start a big game. I expected more from anderson. Tevez definitely should've started.
and about Messi, yea he scored but he didn't do a whole lot more. I don't think this proves he's the best player in the world. It's still between him and Ronaldo. Ronaldo had a very good first half but then became non-existent in the second. Had he not been on Puyol's side, things would've been a little bit different.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

The better team won.

Man united fans should be disapionted as half of their team simply didnt show up.

Player like rooney ronaldo and carrrick (to name a few) simply didnt want the ball as they knew they knew they would be under immediate pressure, credit to barca

I've never seen Man united give the ball away so frequently EVER. Thats no understatement their ball retention at times was awful, players like Carrick only had long balls on at times and being under pressure and little going for you eualling no confidence he didnt stand a chance

Two goals Man U concided aswell were awful

First one Carricks header was almost as pathetic as Andersons attemt to shut down Iniesta (which was his role for the match) as he waltz'd thruogh to set up the goal.

The second was a half hearted no brainer clearence from Evra which Xavi picked up with no competition, no one making an attemt to stop him bringing it forward and ferdinand not paying attention to the danger behind him

Two avoidable/needless mistakes and the ball was in the net 10 seconds later game over

Taking nothing away from Barca, what a first season for Guardiola he must think there isnt too much to this management business

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

fawad000

I think Saf did good,he made sensible changes but unfortunately it did not work out for Man u.It's not the fault of saf or any forward.Imo Manu lost because of their midfield and especially defense,rio and vidic are usually quit reliable but their performances were way below par.Eto killed vidic and xavi/messi murdered rio ferdinand.Surprisingly,ronaldo did play very well tonight and had he got some nice assists,the result would have been much different.
All in all,Barca played extremely well,all Barca players were highly motivated and determined even busquests,who was playing it's first pro season.He totally outstripped Carrack.I am really impressed by Barca's ability to win a game against Manchester without the help of wrestling.They made it look like if they were playing with some minnow la liga team. Andres iniesta and pique were the difference between the two sides.They showed great football prowess despite being in their lower 20's.Congratulations to all Barca fans !

mint
EF Drug Baron

Good performance from Barca, at first it looked like man utd were gonna dominate but when barca got the 1st goal it all went donwhill for the mancs, barca showed there true class i think.

I was expecting a much closer game tonight but the mancs didn't play their best.
i was made to ignite

2brown347
Veteran Member

I think tonight the better team won for sure, it wasn't just two goals, it was complete domination on Barca's part.

I think this game should do a lot for the who's better cr7 or Messi arguement. For me the difference was one man (Puyol) was able to shut down cr7 and with all his chances he couldn't finish. Messi who had 2-4 players on him was able to maintain possesion, distribute (which cr7 didn't do) and got a goal (a header.... isn't he 10 inches shorter than all of Man U's shortest defender). There was one time where Messi was taken down by 2 defenders with a 3rd near by (can't remember who they were) and managed to get up and keep the ball (even though the ref called the foul).

some stats:

Messi-

League: 31 games played, 23 goals, 11 assist
All comp: 52 games played, 38 goals, 17 assist

cr7-

League: 33 games played, 18 goals, 5 assist
All comp: 45 games played, 25 goals, 8 assist

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

2brown347 wrote:There was one time where Messi was taken down by 2 defenders with a 3rd near by (can't remember who they were) and managed to get up and keep the ball (even though the ref called the foul).
Son, he was fouled by Vidic with Carrick and (was it) Anderson (?) in tow. Yes, I am very impressed with his recovery.

2brown347
Veteran Member

fir_nev wrote:
2brown347 wrote:There was one time where Messi was taken down by 2 defenders with a 3rd near by (can't remember who they were) and managed to get up and keep the ball (even though the ref called the foul).
Son, he was fouled by Vidic with Carrick and (was it) Anderson (?) in tow. Yes, I am very impressed with his recovery.
Thank you father. I knew Vidic was one, but I couldn't remember the other two.

user1101

I've just heard the terrible news that Lionel Messi's house was broken into during the game....

Police have made a statement that they would like to question the Man Utd midfield, as they were nowhere to be seen between the hours of 19.45 and 22.00.

Meanwhile, at least one Man United fan remains happy in Rome. Apparently being stabbed in the leg was much less painful than seeing his side get hammered by the Catalans.

Advertisement:
FOR SALE: 68,000; "We Won it 4 Times" T-shirts in Man Utd Red. Ideal for cleaning windows or wiping your dogs backside.

Phone: 016107086523 and ask for Alex

Although the above isnt a product of my own genius, I found it hilarious and thought I'd share :)

Well played BARCELONA, surely the best team in the world at the moment. As a Barca fan I was unsure how we would do without three key defenders, but everyone perfomed brilliantly today. Although not MOTM, Sylvinho had a great game considering his lack of match practice, and I was also impressed with Puyol who tried to get forward as Alves does. For Man of the Match, impossible to choose between Iniesta or Xavi as they both played brilliantly. Just wish that Xavis free kick had gone in, wouldve been nice to see him score.

Seven of Barcas starting players were brought through the academy, with only Eto'o and Henry cost a considerable ammount of money. It's interesting to compare this to Uniteds squad - 12m for Ronaldo, 30m for Berba, 18m for Anderson, 18m or so for Carrick..

Anyways, well played Barca, and lets win it again next year!! :D

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

as much as i hate to admit it,im happy for barca,they deserved it,despite the fact they probably shouldnt even be in the final,they well deserved it overall,and they out played manu too...i think that manu couldve gotten atleast one,before barca scored,and that was wen park was wide open and ronaldo chose to shoot from range,instead of releasing park who i think wudve surely scored and that wudve put pressure on barca
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

shahensha
Veteran Member

Wow, just like the euro, the best football playing team won the tournament.

It was a team effort that outclassed Manchester United. It was amazing how many arrogant fools were saying "oh Barcelona couldnt score against Chelsea, i.e. they have no chance against Manchester United cause Chelsea is third trailing by 7 or 8 points"

baahaha what a stupid argument. In that case, Manchester United failed to score against villareal this season and considering villareal is in the 6th position with 27 points behind Barcelona.......it should be really easy, right? Well going by that argument, guess it was.

Out of all the CL victories, this was the best though. Much better than the extra time winner against Sampodria and coming from behind against a 10 man Arsenal.

This was beating manchester United.......the reigning champions of europe and the champions of the English league three times in a row (many say its the best)........with two clear cut goals and a dominant performance throughout. The only time they looked like they would lose was in the fist 10 minutes.

Midfield domination was key and Messi, Iniesta and Xavi ensured that possession in midfield is maintained and kept the attack rolling.

It was amazing to see barcelona patiently and intelligently build up their attacks with beautiful one touch football. Only making sure to attack when the results are productive. They forced 5 saves out of van der sar, without whom, the score-line would equal the dominance displayed by Barcelona on the pitch

The best part was watching the "weak" defence hold off United's attack. Constant pressure from players caused hasty and inaccurate passes. Pique dealt with any aerial threat and Puyol was immense in shutting down Cronaldo and Rooney. Hell both of them were totally frustrated (cronaldo proved it by winning an unnecessary yellow). Those two attackers got through the defence in a 1v1 against the goalie a couple of times........but they just fell into the offside trap each time.

Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pique and Puyol were the best players on the pitch. Although, I have to say Iniesta wins MOTM for combing Xavi's passing in maintaining possession and messi's dribbling in running circles around the united defenders.

In the end, Guardiola should be given full credit for causing such a major turn around in the team.

Who would have thought the rookie would tactically outwit the shrewd veteran?

Thanks to him, Barcelona proved that the best football playing team actually is the best team.

Messi vs Cronaldo debate

Who is the best player? Many ask that question. The final was said to be the decider, just like the previous encounter.

Entering the game, Messi had never scored against an English opponent and Cronaldo never scored against a Spanish one. It was the perfect moment to break the duck.

Messi was dribbling alot and trying hard to make an impact against Manchester United last year but this year he wasnt trying hard.

Ofcourse, he was playing as a winger in last year's semi and this year he was just roaming around the middle of the field.

Hell he had the exact same role as Cronaldo......should make for easy comparison right?

Except, unlike cronaldo, Messi didnt feel the need to go on wild dribbles and lose possession. Instead he made calm and controlled one-touch passes to maintain possession, pull defenders along with him and create space for his teammates. He was playing smart football

Look back at the first goal and see who Iniesta plays a 1-2 with before finding space to jet off on the run that found eto'o........yeah its him

And he scored a goal........in the final.........against an english opponent......especially the champions for crying out loud..........with a header!.......did you see the mad hop by the midget?!

He has appeared in the top three of the ballon d'or and won the champions league at a younger age than Cronaldo. He will definitely win the ballon d'or at a younger age than Cronaldo

Also I dont think Cronaldo has won a treble.

That sh*t is extremely hard to do, especially doing it deservedly. They say a team wins the treble every decade. Barcelona had to maintain that

2brown347
Veteran Member

Hen - I have to say I agree with a lot of what you said... Except we all now the Netherlands (In the who played the prettiest most exciting soccer) played the best football in the Euro's, they lost due to tactics

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

2brown347 wrote:Hen - I have to say I agree with a lot of what you said... Except we all now the Netherlands (In the who played the prettiest most exciting soccer) played the best football in the Euro's, they lost due to tactics
That is a very good point, Barcelona won today playing the best football, but often the most attractive team doesnt win. But whether Netherlands played better football than Spain is debatable, they were faster but not necessarily better quality.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

That was some leap by Messi btw

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.