Barcelona Form

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
klc123
Veteran Member

So far i haven't been to impressed with Zlatan.

I think Eto'o was more suited to the spanish game hence him scoring so much in la liga and zlatan was more suited to italy, so swapping them has seemed to affect both of their goal rates.

Zlatan is a brilliant player and he definitely brings alot to Barcelona, but im a little worried we've already seen the best of him and that there isn't going to many big improvements from him.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Zlatan only has 2 less goals than he had this time last year, and has one more assist.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

shahensha wrote:This Messi vs Cronaldo argument has been going on for two years. Back then, it was Brown and I arguing for Messi and you arguing for Cronaldo. Never once did we see petty words like "immature" or "ignorant" being used. We debated about what was discussed on this forum. No personal insults were ever thrown, niether in vulgar language nor in proper english. We just debated about the topic. Its not the same anymore, thats for sure.
Thats true, ha me and brown built our flourishing relationship on that debate

And I won you pair of faggot dickweed ignorant cockmunching messi fan boys

:P

shahensha
Veteran Member

Ah Brown, the old adage comes to mind "you win some, you lose some", which is basically what I feel about the swap deal.

Eto'o was like a blood-thirsty grey-hound. He would run non stop. During the attack, he would run in any space he could find. During the defence part, he would chase down anyone who had the ball in Barca's attacking third. He would never give up. Granted, he would lose possession sometimes with his shoddy touch, he still knew how to make a quick pass to keep the ball moving. His finishing and goal scoring was more so power than finesse. He needed people to set him up for goals though. His finishing was good, but I wouldnt call it clinical.

Zlatan on the other hand, is the really good player you see during pick-up games or practice. The kind of fellow who knows he is good, which is why he has a very calm and lethargic approach. Thats what I feel Zlatan is lacking. The thirst to keep on running, non stop like Eto'o. In a typical barca lightning counter, he will hold on to the ball for a bit, instead of playing it off quickly.

However, Zlatan brings so many things that Eto'o lacked. He has an excellent touch, so there is barely any fear of losing possession. He is actually a threat in the air and has scored plenty of times with a header. In fact his first goal for Barca was a diving header. Eto'o barely scores with his head.

Speaking of scoring, Zlatan was on fire when he started. He broke the record of scoring in most consecutive matches from the start of the season for Barca. The kinds of goals he scores are brilliant too. A one-time flick against Atletico, volley against madrid, diving header aganst Gijon and a rocket of a free-kick against Zaragoza. Unlike Eto'o, his passes are ridiculously accurate and he makes plenty of assists too, which is another thing Eto'o couldnt provide.

Somehow he misses the easy nets though..........then Eto'o did too so its all good.

Compared to what I have seen Eto'o do with Barcelona last season, I would say its a good buy because Zlatan is much more impressive.

klc123
Veteran Member

I distinctinly remember seeing Zlatan at inter milan one season in the champions league and thinking, wow, this guys special.

He had everything, perfect control, could dribble through pressuring defenses and could slot in his striking partner perfectly through many walls of defensive players and make it all seem effortless and easy.

In a way, i feel he has lost the magical aura that he had back then. By that i mean the sort of aura that players like Ronaldinho has.

Then again, i don't think anyone will ever have the same magical aura that Ronaldinho had while at barcelona...

Hes a good player reguardless.

2brown347
Veteran Member

I'd say Zlatan on his day is the most exciting player to watch. The problem is you don't know when his day will be. He might go 6 games without doing anything special (not saying he won't score, assist, set up plays, but nothing that makes you go :shock: ) then out of no where he'll do something like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ogMVLShjk

Any other player I'd say it was luck, but when Zlatan does it its just Zlatan being Zlatan.

klc123
Veteran Member

I know what u mean but im not talking about specific things like that.

Not many players ever possess this aura im talking about.

Its when you hope the ball gets passed to a player, because you know they will do something brilliant. Ronaldinho was unbelievable like that for me, maybe its because i was a kid when i loved him so much, but when i watch old barcelona games i still feel the same.

The anticipation, the way everyone is suddenly wide away and expecting something brilliant when Ronaldinho would get the ball, the way he would never give away what he was going to do, things were never obvious, his stepovers didn't just fool defenders, they would fool the crowd, the way he would turn to look backwards before chipping a perfect ball over the top to the striker, a pass that no one even saw nor dreamt possible in their slightest imagination. It was like you could almost smell the fear from the defenses when he had the ball. Zlatan used to be like this for me, the way he just couldn't be read, no one know what he would do, i don't think we see that side of him anymore, unless my ability to read football matchs has just improved alot :lol:

shahensha
Veteran Member

I just wish Zlatan tried alot harder for his day to come instead of lazily waiting for it.

To be honest, Eto'o was a great player and I am forever greatful for his contributions, but he is not world class quality.

Zlatan's abilities definitely certify him as a world class player. Alas, he is, for the lack of a better word, a bit lackadaisical on the pitch.

I can see why Pep wanted him though. He has brought a new dimension to Barca's attack, that is making Alves' crosses look accurate.

Though, I digress. He definitely needs to step up in the coming week.

To make matters worse for the team, sergio busquets will be missing the league game due to the 5 yellow card suspension. Toure and Keita are already injured. There are no more Defensive mids anymore! I guess Marquez will play there like he did for Rijkaard. Atleast a defence of puyol-pique-milito-maxwell looks stable.

Xavi is out too. I would prefer Dos Santos because in his movements and actions, he seems to be the potential successor of xavi. Hopefully, this fellow doesnt turn out to be an arrogant fool like his brother. Then again, as a centre midfielder I say with absolute bias that we are modest lol

Without xavi and alves, the attack is severely depleted. With Henry not really caring anymore and staying quiet, Ibra has to make a nuisance in the league and CL coming up.

klc123
Veteran Member

What do you guys think of Fabregas?

Spainish media seem to think he has already signed a contract whereas the English media haven't even whispered a word about him moving? which do you think is more likely?

If you think he will move to Barca, do you think there is room for him in the team? how will he fit in playing with two players so similar to himself, will they have to sacrifice the defensive mid position? would this be a good idea considering how it would affect Barcelona's defense?

I personally think Fabregas is the best Centre Mid in the world right now, its just unfortunate that Arsenal haven't got alot to work with, because if Van Persie wasn't injured i think Arsenal would be top of the league by now.

casar22
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:What do you guys think of Fabregas?

Spainish media seem to think he has already signed a contract whereas the English media haven't even whispered a word about him moving? which do you think is more likely?

If you think he will move to Barca, do you think there is room for him in the team? how will he fit in playing with two players so similar to himself, will they have to sacrifice the defensive mid position? would this be a good idea considering how it would affect Barcelona's defense?

I personally think Fabregas is the best Centre Mid in the world right now, its just unfortunate that Arsenal haven't got alot to work with, because if Van Persie wasn't injured i think Arsenal would be top of the league by now.
If he moves to barca next season I think this is how they should play:

-----------------Valdes-----------------
Alves-----Puyol------Pique-----Abidal
------------------------------------------
------------------Toure-----------------
-----------Xavi---------Fabregas------
Messi----------------------------Iniesta
-----------------Zlatan-----------------

Bienvenido Cristiano Ronaldo!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Henry playing that bad? or is he just getting old?

Met

casar22 wrote:
klc123 wrote:What do you guys think of Fabregas?

If he moves to barca next season I think this is how they should play:

------------------Toure-----------------
-----------Xavi---------Fabregas------
Messi----------------------------Iniesta
-----------------Zlatan-----------------
I'd prefer Fabregas further up because he has an eye for goal. Have it like this
----------Xavi--------Toure------------
Messi--------Fabregas---------Iniesta
------------------Zlatan-----------------

Obviously Xavi can join attack when he wants.

NBP, the same stage Henry have 15 goals but he only has 3 at the moment. He has missed more games though, injury/form.

Shahensha, Zlatan's 28, you are going to find it tough to change the way he plays his game. He has the quality, he should back himself more to finish off chances, good or bad when he is in his dry spell, as any striker will inevitably have.
I do agree when you say about the new dimension. I feel he is the head of the attack and not any one can do what he can whereas last season they rotated and the only way you could tell who was down the middle was who was on the score sheet.
Watching the match tonight, I fail to see your concerns being so bad, though. Busquets is playing in Xavi's role along side Iniesta, with Toure holding. Henry left, Bojan middle and Messi left. They seem comfortable with a few mistakes at the back.

klc123
Veteran Member

I think Zlatan needs to play more as a goalscorer for the team than a beautiful footballer at the moment.

Look at wayne rooney, an absolute beast for scoring goals, no fancy sh*t he just gets the job done.

If Zlatan had more of this approach, sort of like how Ronaldo plays, always wnting to score more goals, then he would be a much better striker in the world rankings and barcelona would be even more deadly.

shahensha
Veteran Member

I think the whole fabregas back to barcelona is a rumour. If you think about it, it doesnt seem like a plausible move for both sides. Arsenal and especially Wenger are not going to let go of their captain.

Furthermore, Barcelona do not really need another pivot. Granted the young fellow is a great player and his skill will keep increasing with time, the pivot midfielders are Barcelona's speciality, considering they keep producing a quality one every couple of years. Its like selling a carrot back to a carrot farmer.

If either xavi or iniesta somehow randomly die or disappear, then paying a lot of money for fabregas would be a good idea. Otherwise, there is no need because the cantera has already produced Busquets, Jonathon Dos Santos and Thiago for the very same role.

The latter, made his debut in the league today and combined well with messi to score his first goal. There is definitely brilliance in this young buck.

I wouldnt want to buy fabregas and move Iniesta out of his midfield position and be placed on the wing. Pedro's development will be slowed down and thats another potentially remarkable player........considering he is the only footballer to score in all 6 competitions in one season.
NewBornProdigy wrote:Henry playing that bad? or is he just getting old?
Bit of both really. He seems like he still has the skill, but absolutely no drive to use it. His free-kick goal against racing today was brilliant though.
Shahensha, Zlatan's 28, you are going to find it tough to change the way he plays his game. He has the quality, he should back himself more to finish off chances, good or bad when he is in his dry spell, as any striker will inevitably have.
I do agree when you say about the new dimension. I feel he is the head of the attack and not any one can do what he can whereas last season they rotated and the only way you could tell who was down the middle was who was on the score sheet.
Watching the match tonight, I fail to see your concerns being so bad, though. Busquets is playing in Xavi's role along side Iniesta, with Toure holding. Henry left, Bojan middle and Messi left. They seem comfortable with a few mistakes at the back.
Its true, they played excellent one touch barca football. I love how whenever xavi or messi are missing, Don Andres is like "yo i am still here fools" and decides the game lol.

The front three still shuffle around like a three card monte though. Tonights game was very comforting, especially considering Toure played. I totally did not expect him to do so. Then again he did play with pain injections for his injured back during rijkaard's time, instead of going for surgery and missing games. The man is a champ.

The game was fun to watch. Count Iniesta finally got on the scoresheet and two free-kick goals lol. I was also assured that Bojan is a really good dribbler and has a rocket of a shot. The best part was watching 9 homegrown players take the field near the end.

soccer11
Admin

Kind of changing direction, how do you guys think the CL game this week will play out? Not many people are giving Stuttgart much of a chance but I think they're dangerous and could spring the upset.