Barcelona Form

Discussion about European club leagues, Champions League and anything in UEFA
shahensha
Veteran Member

Barca getting knocked out of the Copa Del rey on away goals by Sevilla was a good thing. Credit to Sevilla, they are a quality team and they deserevd to win the tie. Nonetheless, Barca's urgency and quickness in attack during the second half was very reminiscent of the Barcelona of last season that defined beautiful football. Everyone had a good game, especially Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Abidal. I cant say same for Henry and Ibra though.

After losing a tournament, the belief of invinciblity has diminished and the hunger for brilliance has taken over again. Surely enough, they proved it by smashing Sevilla 4-0 in league competition yesterday. All the while dominating possession by 3/4ths and only allowing 2 shots on goal for Sevilla. Only Navas was giving the defence some problems with his blazing runs down the wing but he couldnt do much by himself.

The game started with Barcelona playing high tempo football. Penetrative, one touch movement of the ball starting from the back and more occasions of getting close to the opponent's box.

However, I have to agree with Scotty that Barcelona is missing Eto'o. Dont get me wrong. Ibrahimovich is an excellent player and unlike Eto'o he never loses possession (except when he tries fancy things, which is irritating). He is quick and strong but seems a bit nonchalant in his actions. Not like the bloodthirsty hound set loose that was Eto'o.

Ibra could have scored an easy tap-in from five yards out after a brilliant release from Iniesta down the wing and an excellent cut-back from Henry. Instead he just scuffed it wide. Few minutes later, Xavi launched a perfect cross to him but he didnt connect properly.

Dani Alves was a bit shaky in the first half too. His crosses were very off-target. After Iniesta's brilliant run from the half, skipping past few defenders, he layed a perfect throughball to Alves. It was a shame to see Alves waste it with an inaccurate shot.

Henry could have done better to score too. So many times I waited for his famous far post curler but after being released alone against the goalie by Xavi first and Ibrahimovich second but he just ended up shooting straight at the goalie.

Xavi had a good game in the first and a much better one when Puyol was subbed out in the second half and he was given the captain's band. He had a hand in starting the first three goals

After a failed free-kick, he received the ball near the left touchline and lauched a perfect curler to Ibrahimovich, who chested the ball to Messi. Messi spread it wide to the right for Marquez, who juked a player and crossed the ball in the box. Pique laid a touch on the cross, which was deflected into goal by Escude.

Near the 70th minute Henry was subbed out for Pedro. Right off the bat, he had a shot saved by Palop. Few moments later, Alves fed the ball Xavi who let go of the most exquisite defence splitting pass to Pedro, who broke through the back four line and chipped over the goalie. His ability to score so much astounds me, considering this his second season on the senior team.

Again Xavi, who received the ball on the left, switched it to the right with a diagonal loft for, which met Alves on his glide. Alves launched a cross, making sure he found his target and found Messi. Messi then scored the third goal.

Then Abidal who was outstanding in defence and ball movement up the field, stole the ball in the dying minutes and passed it to Messi, who dribbled into the box and scored the second.

Messi, fresh of his hat-trick last week, is in devastating form. He was dribbling circles around defenders, taking shots on goal and winning free-kicks. In the 35th minute, Valiente caught hold of Messi who was about to break through to the back four. The ref had called the foul at the halfway line but Messi still dragged him from the halway line to the midway point between the half and goal, while dribbling. It was hilarious to see the agitated midget look on his face as he tried to squirm away. ahaha

He scored two goals yesterday, passing the century mark for the club and He has become the youngest player to acheive the feat of scoring 100 for Barcelona. Not only that he is also on top of the goal-scorer charts.

I hope to God he is not injured. Madrid has already seen the result of losing a finisher on form. Plenty of chances but none taken.

panchester07
Veteran Member

also I dont really know if you mentioned it but, your players where tired from all the between week games, and the travelling and all the tournaments.. Now that untill march they only have 1 game per week, same as madrid, will probably be the decisive moment to see who wins!
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

panchester07
Veteran Member

Chigrinski, Dani Alves, Yaya toure, injured, Puyol is undeceided if he's fit or not... Rafa Marquez and Pique with red card suspensions? How will Barcelona come out Against Atleti? Will they live by "the best defense is a good attack"?

Stuttgart is coming up in the champions, and meanwhile, Madrid is just waiting for the tiny mistake, with the injuries, and pressure, will it come?

On a side note : Aguero vs Messi :)

Evan
Veteran Member

I hope to God Atleti wins this.

I doubt HIGHLY we don't win vs Xerez (lol) so yeah it would be nice to be only 2 points behind them.
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Evan wrote:I hope to God Atleti wins this.

I doubt HIGHLY we don't win vs Xerez (lol) so yeah it would be nice to be only 2 points behind them.
Honestly, I'm with you, I'd would be really nice atleti win or atleast tie, but from my experience Im sorry to say I think Barcelona will win..

Madrid I predict a 7-0 or so.. With Cr9 back, and the guys already in form, I think they will walk over Xerez, that being said, Guti got injured and he was playing really well

shahensha
Veteran Member

According to Barcelona, the best defence is ball possession. In order to assure this, everyone pressures for the ball when it is lost. The defence begins from the forwards. I am not sure if anyone has noticed but Messi has picked up the responsiblity of running back and making tackles to help out in defence lately. He even earned a yellow for his troubles a couple of games ago.

To ensure ball possession, a good pivot is needed though and Toure was a great one. I am sure Keita can fill his shoes. His tackling and passes are very good.

Abidal picked up an injury too. The losses of Alves, Toure and Pique, werent nearly as haunting as this one. He was in terrific form! I was hoping Maxwell would continue playing on the right as he efficiently did against Getafe. Now he has to play on the left but that means a young cantera player has to play on the right.

I am positive Puyol will play. The man is a braveheart. He is the rock of gibraltor in Barca's defence.

Milito will probably partner him. He is back from his lengthy injury and looks like the milito of the old.

However, this is going to be an extremely difficult task if the reigning champions are to hold on to their unbeaten record. Barcelona and Atletico encounters always tend to be goal-fest thrillers.

I mean come on, there is xavi, iniesta, messi on one side and forlan, simao and aguero on the other.

Evan
Veteran Member

Barca lose 2-1 :lol:

We're only 2 pts behind now!
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

casar22
Veteran Member

Evan wrote:Barca lose 2-1 :lol:

We're only 2 pts behind now!
:D

Keita is out for a month. It's so stupid how some players play knowing that they are not 100% fit. The score should've been 5-2, Aguero had plenty of chances (especially the 1st one were he was 1v1 against Valdes). Anoter thing is why did Jeffren play right back??? He' left-footed and an attacker, IMO Pep made a huge mistake by doing that he had 2 other defenders that are much better than him. Anyways, Atletico deserved to win.

Bienvenido Cristiano Ronaldo!

shahensha
Veteran Member

Keita was really necessary for the team given the injuries. He is an excellent defensive midfielder and I gurantee you he would not have let reyes slip past him to assist diego forlan like busquets did.

I felt Jefferen started out a bit nervy but he started playing alot better. Also he was used in that position against cultural leonesa in the copa del rey.

The only weak links here were Milito and especially Busquets, who clearly gave up before the whistle was blown.

Met

I felt eventually Real Madrid will surpass Barcelona, because Real Madrid have the best squad in the world probably. The only hope for Barca fans is that the first 11 of Barca play most of the matches and RM XI don't gel quick enough to pressurise Barca. Unfortunately, neither has happened. I think Pep has known for a while that he can't replace his first 11. It's beginning to show now. I don't say this about many footballers but I dislike Busquets so much. He doesn't fit the Barca mentality. He's on the floor too much. Yaya knows when to give away yellow card fouls. You can always tell when a player is missing for Barca, they don't flow as much, a bit nervy. selfish play etc.

No wonder they want Fabregas so much, if Xavi or Iniesta out for ages, it's probably career ending and they will not be able to replace either and thats Barcelona over and out.

Many people ask whether Barca are the best team of the decade/forever but the truth is they are the best 11 since football began. The reason is they are not the best team, is well after sub 1/2 they don't have much to offer and that's why they will not be able to repeat their feats/ keep reproducing cup league success as certain players in their first 11 will get injured.

klc123
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say Real Madrid have the best squad in the world, even if they do have the best player in the world, but i definitely think they will surpass Barcelona this year.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Yeah....Cronaldo is indeed the best player in the world considering he won the ballon d'or by record margin.

It was the first loss of the season (barcelona always loses to atletico in vicente claderon), with a heavily depleted squad but thats some amazing faith in the team you "love" though klc

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Met wrote:
No wonder they want Fabregas so much, if Xavi or Iniesta out for ages, it's probably career ending and they will not be able to replace either and thats Barcelona over and out.

Many people ask whether Barca are the best team of the decade/forever but the truth is they are the best 11 since football began. The reason is they are not the best team, is well after sub 1/2 they don't have much to offer and that's why they will not be able to repeat their feats/ keep reproducing cup league success as certain players in their first 11 will get injured.
Not really, their youth set up is great. Theres this guy Thiago Alcantara, one of the upcoming midfielders, apparently as good as Iniesta. Barca's set up will jz keep on churning out xavis and iniestas and messis. Look at Pedro, no one heard of him last season, now he's jz free scoring.

It's when a team's first 11 lacks their 80 million pound star, than they're screwed.

Evan
Veteran Member

but thats some amazing faith in the team you "love" though klc
Haha I think he jumped on the bandwagon after Ronaldo came over... :lol:

Back on topic I think that we have a great chance of getting the title this year, but the only way that will happen is if Barca slip. Even with the loss they are still THE top side IMO.

casar22
Veteran Member

Bienvenido Cristiano Ronaldo!