My artwork

Signatures, avatars, web graphics and user-created art
gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim »

I like it, but i haven't posted because I can't give any advice on improving it. I'm not the least bit artistic. Good work though.
Francis8
Veteran Member

Post by Francis8 »

if you click on the first pic, it will get bigger and teh detail will show....then u'll realize how nice it is lol
gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim »

Francis8 wrote:if you click on the first pic, it will get bigger and teh detail will show....then u'll realize how nice it is lol
Yeah, I already did. As I said before, it's very good. Definitely stick with it.
Francis8
Veteran Member

Post by Francis8 »

and for those of you that think its traced, its not. this is on cardboard paper so thats impossible. the reason i drew it was because my art teacher said that whoever in my class freehands the best picture of jesus, in terms of lines, shape, value texture etc. is exempt from the final art exam...which is like 10 pages long lol...i hope i win the class competition :D no exam for me!
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert »

Pretty good technical drawing, but I'm not crazy about the composition.
As a whole, it looks a bit like a cropped photograph:

I think you could make it a lot more powerful in one of two ways.

1. Reworking small details and cropping.
In the first picture of your drawing, I like how his arm and the top of the cross converge. You could emphasize on that so that it looks more like the point of a 'triangle'.
Also, when you cropped it, it looked a lot more interesting and intimate:

or

2. You can "zoom out" and REALLY try to make a grand and original composition. Here a couple of examples that come to mind:
Caravaggio (that's not really Christ, I just like Caravaggio's compositions), Manet, Dali, Mantegna - another very memorable composition
Francis8
Veteran Member

Post by Francis8 »

I just took a picture of it with my webcam and zoomed in on certain areas.
but i don't understand this when u said :
You could emphasize on that so that it looks more like the point of a 'triangle'.

are u saying i should make the point larger at the top of the cross? i think i know what u mean but not exactly.

also, u said: You can "zoom out" and REALLY try to make a grand and original composition.

are u saying i should add more to it? i drew this on a small piece of paper....I have only 1 inch on all sides left over.
Francis8
Veteran Member

Post by Francis8 »

what do i do with the extra inch on the sides?
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert »

Sorry I got a little carried away there. Don't mind my criticisms, your drawing is fine.
Francis8 wrote:what do i do with the extra inch
I ask myself that same question every time I put my pants on.
thisisdard
Veteran Member

Post by thisisdard »

Hey Francis, cool pics. :)