Assists Underrated

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Icy
Veteran Member

Assists Underrated

Post by Icy » 07 Jun 2007, 20:41

I never really realized how underrated assists are until my game last night.

I was playing center midfield and the other team had a throw-in. We had their guys marked besides a defender who was staying back towards the goal. The guy through it in to the defender and before the guy could settle the ball I got it from him and I went towards the goal. Instead of taking a shot that I might have gotten I took the ball right to the end line then hit it into the center to our striker for an easy tap in since the goal was open.

Well, who gets all the credit for it? Thats right the striker who had an easy tap in that any soccer player could have made. It was like I hadn't done anything in the play and he had done it all himself.

It's funny how underrated assists are when a bit of the time it's just a simple finish like that. What are your views on assits?
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

ts8000
New User

Post by ts8000 » 07 Jun 2007, 21:04

I hear you man. I have the weakest shot yet I rack up assists, crosses, and make plays constantly and consistantly as a c. mid or wing. I have a striker that gives me the credit every time I assist him and a few guys on my team that say "Nice cross" once in a while. But I do see what you mean. It is almost like you can do nothing good unless YOU make the goal. Like you said, you can steal it, dribble it the full length of the pitch and pass it off for the beautiful assist...yet the striker looks like the hero for the average fan. I guess my advice is to understand that you are playing "joga bonita" and that anybody not seeing that isn't worth going out of the way to impress. Scouts and coaches should see your worth as a playmaker if you keep doing what you're doing (look at Beckham's current success for the national team...cross, cross, assist, assist).

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 07 Jun 2007, 21:17

I totally agree with you. This past fall I played right midfield for my high school, and this happened to me time and time again. I would do all the work and give my strikers a tap in on an empty net and most of the time they would run out and get all the glory. My coach would recognize me for what I had done, but it would be nice if the fans and everyone would recognize it too.

There was one game specifically in which we were tied 1-1 with about 3 minutes to play. I took the ball from our own half, beat two guys and sprinted in on the goalie, probably a 60 yard run, then squared it across the 6 yard line to a striker who tapped it in, and he ran off and celebrated, getting all the praise.

When things like that happen the striker who finished the move should really go do something like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vWaBp_rWxXo

That is class
Click it

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 07 Jun 2007, 21:25

ajc wrote:I totally agree with you. This past fall I played right midfield for my high school, and this happened to me time and time again. I would do all the work and give my strikers a tap in on an empty net and most of the time they would run out and get all the glory. My coach would recognize me for what I had done, but it would be nice if the fans and everyone would recognize it too.

There was one game specifically in which we were tied 1-1 with about 3 minutes to play. I took the ball from our own half, beat two guys and sprinted in on the goalie, probably a 60 yard run, then squared it across the 6 yard line to a striker who tapped it in, and he ran off and celebrated, getting all the praise.

When things like that happen the striker who finished the move should really go do something like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vWaBp_rWxXo

That is class

Thats awesome giving the lil man the cred. This same stuff happens with me, my shot is really inconsistent but I am a good passer and set up goals constantly, thank god me n my strikers have group celebrations haha

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 07 Jun 2007, 21:31

yeh same with me at first i would have bags and bags of assists each season yet only maybe a 'well done' now and again. But now a good mate of mine and striker of my team. When i make a through,cross or dribble which ends in a goal for him he'll come celebrate it with me which i think is pretty good of him but other than that i dont get that much credit from the fans and coaches only when i score.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 08 Jun 2007, 02:49

Yeah but I guess there had to be someone there to tap it in, so credit in bein at the rite place at the rite time.. Altho I still tink tht a result is the result of team effort, often strikers get the most credit. I make lots of assists too, yet mostly ppl tink of is our striker tht scores alot of goals(nt complainin tho, goals are good).

Also, like in the Chelsea Euro semifinal 2005, everybody wud give credit to Garcia for scorin the winnin goal...but lesser credit is given to Gerrard who played the really good pass or Baros who dinked it over Cech..and even lesser credit is given to the back four who did their part superbly over 85 minutes, and to Carragher who prevented Gudjonson scorin.

So, yeah basically a team is like a factory in which the product(striker's goals) and the manager who presents the product(striker) get the most attention but actually everybody in the factory from the CEO down to the toilet cleaner all play a vital part in keepin it runnin...Sure assists are underrated, but midfield graft , defendin and goalkeepin are even more underrated, yet play an important part in the overall result too.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 08 Jun 2007, 11:07

man who cares, wat people think, your a good playmaker, some people just dont understand football and think its all about scoring tap ins, but for me as a central defender i have most respect for the central midfield players and the playmakers on the pitch, they manage to provide so much in the way of crosses and passes and they add a few goals themself, i generally regard a central midfielder much more highly than a striker, some people on the pitch just dont get credit wen they do a great job, but thats just the way it is.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 08 Jun 2007, 14:44

ajc wrote:When things like that happen the striker who finished the move should really go do something like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vWaBp_rWxXo

That is class
That's what I did when I scored goals! I run to the goal creators.

But I got some applause for assists too. People just know that I'm a hardworking guy.

ftbllrckr
Veteran Member

assists

Post by ftbllrckr » 08 Jun 2007, 14:59

In my season once, I had only one goal but I had a LOT of assists. One of the most in the league, and there was only one guy who did what Henry did every time. Another guy, all he had to do was tap it in and he ran off to the corner jumping up and down and sliding and celebrating, with a buunch of guys following him. But the other guy was the one that I passed to the most.

^^Credit to Solid0Snake

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Post by AmericanFutballer » 08 Jun 2007, 15:36

Yes, assists are very underated, but think about the defenders now. At most they'll get an assist to the assist, or maybe a lucky header into the goal from a corner, a very lucky header. There are many underated players on the field, such as the wingers, or defense, or even the goalie at some points in the game. Just remember that the team is what makes the goal, without everyone else the strikers are useless honestly, same with the wingers, mids, defense, and goalie, you all need eachother...

But definitely, assists are totally underated lol.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 08 Jun 2007, 17:03

Assists are very underrated. They are just as important as the goals but they are not treated equally as they should be. Cause with the assists there would be no goals.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 08 Jun 2007, 19:06

Assists are so underrrated, so whenever someone on my team is taking all the credit from a good cross, I say "Nice tap-in" rather than "great job" or "good goal". It kind of reminds them that's all they had to do, but I say it enthusiasticly so they know I'm not being mean or anything. It just kind of keeps them in check.

arminho09

Post by arminho09 » 08 Jun 2007, 21:46

true...i split the defense perfectly like 3 defenders in our last game and the winger just ran on to it and hit it past the goaly a easy finish i got no credit for it at all not even a high five kinda sad but i guess thats how it is

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 13 Aug 2007, 14:15

Assists aren't as underated on my team because i gave this one kid 2 beautiful assists. one was on a freekick that landed at an impossible angle for me to score and anyone else on team would have let it go but i jumped over the goalie (who was diving to get the ball) and taped it the the kid and he was all by himself in front of the goal and he scored, and the other was a cross that hit him in the head and then it went in for the game winner. So for the rest of the season he was trying to get even but he never did. He got one back though. But like i said on my team we all celebrate together no matter who scores and all of our assists are greatly apricated.

steve-0
Veteran Member

Post by steve-0 » 13 Aug 2007, 15:43

assists r a bit underrated. c ronaldo had the most assists in the bpl last season, but no1 really cared.