Problems with 50-50 headers

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
jcdenton
Veteran Member

Problems with 50-50 headers

Post by jcdenton » 24 Apr 2005, 14:28

i play as a left back and i often get in situations when i need to head the ball that touches the sky and then comes to ground (50-50 headers). i just don't know where is it going to fall, so i usually let it fall first and catch the next rebound. it works, but i don't have confidence if i jump before it first touches ground. i feel like i am going to miss that. although, every ball that is doesn't go so high is a piece of cake for me. i have a great and powerful header when it comes to corners, by the way. has anyone some tips for me how to position myself when that comet falls from the sky?

Gunner_d14

Post by Gunner_d14 » 27 Apr 2005, 13:32

well sorry i can't help...anybody else?
-The Beloved One-

Wiseman_philosopher

Post by Wiseman_philosopher » 27 Apr 2005, 16:12

Gunner_d14 wrote:well sorry i can't help...anybody else?
lol don't post then. Do you mean if it's a long ball played and you have to head clear, or when its skewed up into the air?
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 27 Apr 2005, 17:45

my coach always says not to let the ball bounce before headering it because there mightbe some spin on the ball and it might pass u

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 27 Apr 2005, 18:51

i know all that, but the problem is my positioning when the ball is in the air moving vertically to the ground. long passes have never been problem for interception, but goalkeeper's kick for example is!

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 27 Apr 2005, 19:24

its just fear, if you go for the ball with courage i dont think perception will be a problem. i used to do that to, but going for the ball has more advantages, like drawing a foul, you might even get a good flick on for a run, you never know, so just keep going for it, and train at night to, helps with coordination and stuff. hope this helps.
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 27 Apr 2005, 23:44

if you let it bounce you'll never play at a good level.you must attack it.be aggressive.don't just make contact,say to yourself im gonna make this mine and go through it.its about bravery and attitude.i improve drastically by attacking the ball in the air rather than just being happy making contact.if i let the ball bounce the gaf would be going down for murder he's be so pissed

Gunner_d14

Post by Gunner_d14 » 28 Apr 2005, 00:07

i have a question....uhhh, why not just chess trap the ball?
i ain't good with headers at all but if it's up in the air coming down...i'll just chess trap it
-The Beloved One-

sOcCeRKiD11

Post by sOcCeRKiD11 » 28 Apr 2005, 00:44

u cant....dont u no there is pressure on u..u gotta in the air...and win the header..if u watch soccer...ino what i mean..

i have this problem too..if the guy is under the ball and is really to head it..
and i coming in trying win it...i have to turn and spin..and hang in the air for a long time..can any1 help me with this?

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 28 Apr 2005, 06:30

Guys, guys... just spread Ur elbows to the sides and U will scare the hell out of the opposing player.

Dun try chest-trapping when challenging for headers. That's not challenge! U'll never win headers like that.

Challenging header itself will not allow the other player to direct his/her header properly. So, why worry? U all will eventually win the headers if U're confident and able to judge the the drop.

Any other questions?

To hang in the air? Get a good spring before jumping. The more matches U play, Ur eyes can do the judging of the ball and Ur body's reaction and what it should do. It's soccer instinct.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 28 Apr 2005, 11:13

Despite my aerial power being one of the weakest parts of my games, I did pretty well in a match yesterday. I wasn't going and winning the ball really, but was using my body very well.

By reading where the ball would drop, and getting into position early, I was managing to simply hold players off and win the header without a big leap or anything.

I also scored a diving header, where I dived backwards and headed the ball at a very tight angle to keep it in... and it ended up in the net. Pity I couldn't see, as I was rolling backwards off the pitch when it crossed the line. :cry:

sOcCeRKiD11

Post by sOcCeRKiD11 » 28 Apr 2005, 20:12

how do u get more hang time......?

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 28 Apr 2005, 22:06

well my brother used to play alot of basketball and he said to get hang time u need to get abs. simple as that. not hard especially if u play alot of soccer. do situps each day. and it wouldnt hurt to do squats to strengthen your legs :)

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 29 Apr 2005, 01:17

Try to 'lighten' Ur body when U just took off from the ground. U'll feel that U're in the air for about 2sec.

cyxstudio

Post by cyxstudio » 24 Feb 2008, 15:33

you should not be scared and look at the ball. When u look at the ball only u can head it with the correct part that is ur forehead. U are not suppose to head it with ur upper part of ur head, isn't it? So dun hide urself from the ball.