my college recruitment tips

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 24 Sep 2007, 01:54

I don't know if all do, but almost all of them probably do. Camps differ, but for a week residency camp you're talking anywhere from $350-$500. You live in a dorm and they give you a meal card and everything so it's pretty pricy. But some schools have camps which will be around 3 hours a day and you obviously don't live there, which are much cheaper. The one I went to like that was I think $100. However, you don't get as much exposure at camps like that because you aren't playing as long. Also, coaches like to see how you interact with other players on and off the field, which they won't get to see at these shorter camps. And you usually don't get to really become part of a team and play many organized matches, so you may not get the opportunity to really show what you can do. The residency camps are expensive but they're very important to get recruited.
Click it

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 02 Oct 2007, 00:39

most of them as far as I know, aren't all that expensive, something like $100-200, which is nothing when you think about it because if they like what you've got, the school will offer you a scholarship, which saves thousands! think of it as an investment

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 11 Oct 2007, 00:46

When u go to a college camp does only that college recognize u or do other colleges see that u were there to?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 11 Oct 2007, 03:00

It depends on the camp. At one I went to there were representatives from at least 20 different universities ranging from D1 to D3, and at another there were only coaches from that specific school. You should go to camps with good traditions since they are most likely to draw the better players and therefore lots of scouts will attend.
Click it

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 12 Oct 2007, 23:32

So ur saying to go to the better schools camps because then more people see u?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 13 Oct 2007, 06:30

It depends, because at the bigger school's camps the level of play is often higher so it is more difficult to stand out. If you want to be seen by more scouts then yes, go to better school's camps, but if you don't think you will easily stand out and be viewed as a player of the quality that a school like (for example) UCLA, Maryland, or VA would be interested in, it can be beneficial to go to smaller school's camps where you know you can make an impact and draw more attention to yourself.
Click it

redrover365
Veteran Member

Post by redrover365 » 14 Oct 2007, 17:19

good post i was completely fooled

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 24 Oct 2007, 18:43

jdefoe, do u know if colleges look for the best overall players and teach them to play the posiion they want them 2 play or do they pick the best players for a position they need

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 25 Oct 2007, 21:18

MSILancer7 wrote:jdefoe, do u know if colleges look for the best overall players and teach them to play the posiion they want them 2 play or do they pick the best players for a position they need
I think it depends. One of my former teammates was MVP of our conference for high school as a center mid. He went to play for a D1 school and was immediately coverted into a central defender. This is because of his size, he is 6'4". Colleges are never just looking to add players, they are looking to fill positions, so they will pick a player who think can play a certain role in the team. If they think a player can succeed in changing positions they will pick him. But generally if there is a player who is already accustomed to a certain position they'll pick him. Basically they'll choose whoever they think can do the best job.
Click it

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 19 Nov 2007, 20:48

Since this year im a freshman do u think i should go to a not as good schools camp and then as i get older i should go to different better school camps or should i go to the same school for all 4 years?

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Post by Davidson9 » 19 Nov 2007, 22:17

MSILancer7 wrote:Since this year im a freshman do u think i should go to a not as good schools camp and then as i get older i should go to different better school camps or should i go to the same school for all 4 years?
in my opinon you should go to the best camp you can for all 4 years, you'll get much better than if you went to a worse camp and were the best player there

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 20 Nov 2007, 01:10

Going to a quick camp even at a better school won't make you much of a better player in all honesty. You're not there long enough. You're there to prove your skills to the team, not to get better. However, I don't know enough about it and yourself to tell you the truth.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 20 Nov 2007, 04:10

To a certain extent you both are right. Since you aren't at the camps very long you won't necessarily be gaining technical skills. But if you play with very good players you can learn things on the mental side of the game and improve your decision making. As a freshmen it honestly won't make a huge difference which camp you attend this year with regards to what college you will end up going to. I'd suggest going to a very good camp this year and trying it out. If you feel like the competition is beyond you then next year go to one without such a strong program.
Click it

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 21 Nov 2007, 19:12

thanks for the help guys

Francis8
Veteran Member

Post by Francis8 » 04 Dec 2007, 21:25

ajc, U of R is a D1 school about 10 mins away from my house and they have a few soccer camps going on in the summer. I know i will be attending these but I am also going to Super Y at the same time for club...how good is Super Y in terms of play and coaches and recruits? is it good for exposure to coaches? and do u still do travel? how good is that (on elite)?

and whens the last time u checked ur PM's :lol: