my college recruitment tips

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Baci
New User

Post by Baci » 13 Aug 2006, 01:18

I play high school varsity in the US. I know im the best player on my team and im only in the 10 grade(just starting 10) I think if a coach sees me he will be impressed. What can I do to be recognized. A lot of my coaches say that I can make it. But i want a collage coach to see me. I play Center mid and realized i could make it when i played with my cousants proffesial team in Albania. Please reply
I was born to play.

ole21
Sophomore Member

Post by ole21 » 02 Oct 2006, 20:42

so i'm a junior and my team is going to be doing at least 3 college showcases throughout the US during the next 2 years. and what i've heard is best, is to contact a bunch of coaches and just let them know your interest in the school and where they can see you play (like a certain tournament). cuz unless you're just unbelievable and scoring 3 or 4 goals a game, even at a college schowcase, if the coaches aren't looking for you, they rarely will pick you out. also, i've heard that one of the best things to do is go to college camps after your junior year especially and even if the coach isn't running the camps, if there's a good player or two he/she should look at, the other coaches will let them know. it's just great exposure to the programs and also gives you an idea of the school itself.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 12 Jan 2007, 06:00

Yea, I'm in my junior year now and I'm going to attend 4 or 5 college camps this Summer. Plus, even if nothing comes of it for that school, it'll be sick just to be playing soccer all day for a week with other good high school players.

Btw, I realized I never replied back after JDefoe answered my questions, so thanks a lot for that man. :wink:
Click it

cronaldo
New User

getting recruited

Post by cronaldo » 21 Feb 2007, 15:11

hey jdefoe i liked how you gave details about college recruitments, but what do colleges really look at, your technical abiltiy, physical ability, vision on the field.... it ll be real nice to know what you should work on, cause i m goin into my senior year plus i m a technical player w/ great ability, thanks

Tragedy
New User

Post by Tragedy » 02 Mar 2007, 22:49

college soccer is cool and all. i was supposed to go and play for indiana but my SAT score didnt meet the requirement.

college soccer is over rated anyways. its tthe next best thing no doubt about it tho
Trial in Europe - check

Soccer Scholarship to a Division 1 school - check

Play on Ntaional team - No :(

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 03 Mar 2007, 00:08

Tragedy wrote:college soccer is cool and all. i was supposed to go and play for indiana but my SAT score didnt meet the requirement.

college soccer is over rated anyways. its tthe next best thing no doubt about it tho
Ahh, that sucks. ARe you allowed to re-take the SAT's? I am from Canada so I really don't know anything about this.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 03 Mar 2007, 04:12

Hey guys, over spring break in a month or so I have scheduled visits with four D1 college coaches. Some of them have asked me to write a letter about myself as a player, and to highlight my playing experiences and awards. Does anyone have any advice on what exactly they would be looking for in the letter? My friend who's uncle used to be a scout for Liverpool told me that I should definatley say that I am a versatile midfielder who can play almost anywhere. I'm hoping you might have other ideas of types of things that colleges would like to read about when considering a player. (Obviously I'm NOT going to lie, I just want to know if there are certain criterion that coaches look for that I may fit into, so I can be sure to state them clearly.)

Any help or advice will be much appreciated. :wink:

Also, they asked me to mail the letter to them by monday so at this point I don't have time to get a letter about myself written by my coaches, but I plan to have that follow later on.
Click it

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 17 Sep 2007, 23:57

How can u get signed up for college camps and wat do u do there?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 18 Sep 2007, 00:31

Camps are held over the summer. Simply go to the university's athletic website and find the form to sign up. Most of them are about 5 day residency camps where you are split into teams and you train with a college coach or assistant. Then you play matches against the other teams, which is the best opportunity to show what you can do. Many camps have playoffs and all star games. If you get chosen for the all-star games, you will get scouts from many schools examining your play if it is a prestigious camp with a good tradition. For the ones I went to it was typically training in the morning, lunch, training in the afternoon, dinner, a match in the evening, and an all-star game around 9pm. You are playing/training for about 6-7 hours a day, even more if you make the all-star game, so it is critical that you come into camps like those in very good fitness. If you have any more questions I can probably help you out.
Click it

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Post by AmericanFutballer » 18 Sep 2007, 01:32

When would you personally start looking into colleges and sending letters to coaches ajc? Such as what year in Highschool? I'm freshmen right now, so i highly doubt this year would be of any use since i still have four more years to develop, but when do you think i should start being active in college recruitment and selling myself as a player for a D1 school???
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 18 Sep 2007, 18:42

It's never too early to contact a school, but most colleges will want to have a look at you starting in your sophomore year. It's good for them to be aware of you before your junior year, which is when most recruiting is done. I started emailing and writing letters to colleges in spring of my sophomore year, and they told me that some people had contacted them even sooner, so I'd say sometime next year you should start contacting some schools you are interested in. The more familiar a college coach is with you and the more opportunities he's had to see you play, the better the chances are he'll want you.
Click it

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 19 Sep 2007, 15:33

YOU MUST GO TO CAMPS!

thisisdard
Veteran Member

Post by thisisdard » 20 Sep 2007, 11:24

:shock: WTH its jdefoe!

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 20 Sep 2007, 22:43

Yes, he's back.

Again.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 24 Sep 2007, 01:48

Do all colleges that have soccer programs have camps and also how much does it cost it sounds pretty exspensive