my college recruitment tips

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
jdefoe
Forum groupie

my college recruitment tips

Post by jdefoe » 15 Nov 2005, 03:01

As some of you might know, your hopes of attracting college coaches, let me make this as plain to you as I can.... the idea that coaches hear about you through the grape-vine and come running out to see you is 100% false. College coaches are sooooooo busy that the only way they are going to come to you is if you are on an all regional team, or the Canadian equivalent to the all-american status.

You have to be so good that EVERYONE knows about you. Instead, you are going to have to do some research into the schools you think would interest you, and then contact the coaches and let them know you would like to be considered.

Give them a brief playing profile..... and I do mean brief, highlighting your playing experience, any awards or honors that you have recieved, and get your coach to write a letter about your strengths and what you bring to a team. Do not write about those things your self, no coach wants a self centered player so don't get caught up in that stuff, ask coaches to do it. Send them a schedule of games, and then keep contacting them every week or so till you get a response. You have to market yourselves, there are just too many players out there who are good for a coach to see them all. Plus, the fact that you took the initiative to contact him will always impress more than some little tw** that thinks he's so good everyone should know his name.

monticellostriker
New User

Post by monticellostriker » 07 Jan 2006, 03:53

man thats pretty harsh, i've always hoped "hey maybe this is a game the scouts will see" i guess not! haha that was a good post, useful info :D

R9KEvinR9
Veteran Member

Post by R9KEvinR9 » 07 Jan 2006, 06:38

Ok, Jdefoe your 18 this is your last year in high school or so, did you follow your tips??? and how did it turn out? Also you forgot to add making a video of your self. Good post

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 07 Jan 2006, 16:40

actually, a lot of coaches I know hate videos because they can be edited and whatnot and can't really give a coach a true indication of your level of play. Your best options are to call/write the coach and give them your soccer schedule and asking him to come see your games. That's the best way to approach it.

Btw, im playing university soccer right now in Canada, but I was a "red shirt" which means that you train/travel with the team, but you don't play. Doing this ensures that i dont lose a year of eligibility

Mulatto_Magic

Post by Mulatto_Magic » 07 Mar 2006, 16:39

hey jdefoe could you register at this new soccer forum Campeao Futebol and put this topic on it, thanks

http://forums.cjb.net/campeaofutebol.html
~`Legend In The Making`~

Tragedy
New User

Post by Tragedy » 14 Mar 2006, 23:48

ya your right, do you play college soccer? what team?

i just got recruited for this upcoming season. to a division 1 school.
Trial in Europe - check

Soccer Scholarship to a Division 1 school - check

Play on Ntaional team - No :(

Mulatto_Magic

Post by Mulatto_Magic » 16 Mar 2006, 22:16

Hey Tragedy was the div one school in the states
~`Legend In The Making`~

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 16 Mar 2006, 22:44

Good post JDefoe, very informative. I am going into my last year of highschool next year and i was considering playing at college level. I wasnt sure what to do but this post helped me.

archie~FS

Post by archie~FS » 23 Apr 2006, 16:28

Do you guys in the states have our equivalent of premiership teams? like the way you have basketball teams.

And is it a real great achievement to play for your high school or college in the states? because in the UK its
not seen as amazing to play for your school.

Also in the uk to get scouted for a prem team it only really matters how you play, not what you have achieved on paper etc.

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 23 Apr 2006, 17:58

I live in canada, and playing for my highschool team is nothing, but playing for the college team in the STATES only is big because from there you can go to MLS, and then hopefully to europe.

upandcoming

Post by upandcoming » 23 Apr 2006, 22:19

Tragedy wrote:ya your right, do you play college soccer? what team?

i just got recruited for this upcoming season. to a division 1 school.

What college did you get scouted for? I also see your Canadian what team were you playing with before you got scouted?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 25 May 2006, 02:50

Here's some questions i have for you guys, since u seem to know about college recruitment (especially jdefoe.)

1. I have a *College Showcase* tournament coming up in New York. Does that mean coaches or scouts will be there to watch the games?

2. Should I go to college summer camps to help get recruited?

3. I'm in my second year of high school, when should i start contacting college coaches?

4. Do colleges care more about your high school team or club team?
Click it

mb1471

Post by mb1471 » 14 Jun 2006, 03:51

from my experiences clubs can make you look alot better. my older brother's club team was always top 10 in the country for u18 and the entire team went to d1 schools for soccer. at my highschool however, even though we play high level soccer, no one went to college for soccer since the schools probly thought that the opponents would be easier. it makes sense since clubs are u18 and have (mostly) 18 yr olds. highshcool on the other hand has 15,16,17,18.. meaning that theres alot of softspots and meaning that success there is taken much more lightly than if youre playing full teams of people your own age.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 17 Jun 2006, 02:08

Sorry about the late response but...heres the answers
ajc wrote:
1. I have a *College Showcase* tournament coming up in New York. Does that mean coaches or scouts will be there to watch the games?
It doesn't matter...Give 100% everytime you play. You don't know who's watching. Craig Forrest, the former west ham and Canadian keeper got recruited at a house league tournament....
2. Should I go to college summer camps to help get recruited?
YES YES AND YES!
I can't stress this enough. Go in gr 11 and gr 12. If you go when you're in gr 11, they will know about you and be more willing to attend your games during your senior year to see if you developed. This is how soooooo many players get recruited.
3. I'm in my second year of high school, when should i start contacting college coaches?
NOW...!!!!
4. Do colleges care more about your high school team or club team
Both equally. Your club team will tell them about your skill when you play with better players. But your highschool team will tell them what you're like playing with different players and it tells them a lot about your character. You have school spirit and you show dedication by committing yourself to playing/practicing and doing good in school.

thierryhenry14

Post by thierryhenry14 » 27 Jul 2006, 20:46

So I have a question. Let's say I'm about to be a sophmore in High school and this will be my last year to play school soccer, because I'm moving to a different state in a town where they dont' have soccer. I plan on going to try out for a state select team, and or possibly an ODP team. Does this better my chances to get noticed, opposed to a school league?
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-