Advice on my situation

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
khalifa
New User

Advice on my situation

Post by khalifa » 23 Jan 2013, 15:40

Hello Everyone, I know people have posted things like this but i really feel like i have a big decision to make here.
I currently play in Dubai, U.A.E, right now im training in the academy of a local professional club with the u17, if i continue to train with them i am 100% sure that i will be on the team and sooner or later starting 11. I play for my school but we have finished all our fixtures, i play both u16 ( captain ) and u19. My coach thinks i am a very good centre back and so do i.
The problem is:
-The players i train with are not serious they dont care about winning and their attitude towards training is like a social club, i know for a FACT that i am better than a lot of the players currently signed with the club, most of them have connections and good realtionships with influential people in the club.
-The coach, his idea is right but doesnt enforce anything, he complains about how his players dont put any effort and are just messing around, yet fails to discipline them, he is more like their friend not their coach.
-The atmosphere in general is not professional and i feel it is unhealthy for my mental state to continue training with them.
I have a choice though:
I can move to ireland and try to play for a club there as my family are welcoming of me staying with them and studying and playing. I just want to know if it is worth it to play in ireland, i know big clubs have scouting networks in ireland, but i am not 100% sure of the club set up there.
My idea is that if i go play in ireland i can easily travel to england for trials, while at the same time trying to reach the elite teams in the irish league.
Im confused at the moment and dont know what to do, my friend is in a similar situatuion but he is signed with one of the clubs here till end of season.
Should we try our luck abroad???

Any advice would be helpful, for the record im 16 and play centre back

If you want to know any extra information just ask

expert
Site Admin

Re: Advice on my situation

Post by expert » 23 Jan 2013, 16:17

Hey, welcome to the site, Khalifa.
From my experience, soccer teams seem to be structured like families.
It's not just about "who is the best" player, but it's more about relationships and loyalty.
Coaches are people too, so it's normal that they would rely on players that they've known for a long time.
So don't be surprised if you find yourself in a similar situation after moving to another club.
The players i train with are not serious they dont care about winning and their attitude towards training is like a social club, i know for a FACT that i am better than a lot of the players currently signed with the club
Trust me, I know where you're coming from. You're probably not gonna listen to me, but I feel that your general view is off.
If you really do care that much then you have to show it on the field.
Try to lead by example - never miss or be late for practice, work extra hard during practice and in games...
If you really put in honest and heartfelt effort, you might be surprised by the results.
People really do notice this kind of stuff and it might motivate your teammates too.

khalifa
New User

Post by khalifa » 23 Jan 2013, 19:06

I would really like to agree with you, but its not like that here, because all these players are paid money regardless.
All i here them talking about when it comes to football is money.
When he have agility drills and stuff set up by a qualified brazilian coach very few players put any effort into the exercise.
When they see me trying my best they give me the sense that im stupid. The mentality in this region is much different from what you are used to, my brother who also played here had trials and trained with clubs in England, ( Barnet, wycombe, fulham ) and he said that it is so professional and that he didnt feel too let down when he wasnt accpeted because of the experience he gained and the respect they gave him, he loved it.
I appreciate your answer its just that you have to understand where i am coming from...
In truth the problem doesnt exist in this football club alone or even in football clubs, as you know it is a very wealthy region where the mentality is different to other countries, our football coach in school said it as well, we have talented players, the thing is everyone just wants to look good...
Im not the only player who has experienced this by the way, in my school there are players much more talented than me and than those at local academies, they also have left because of this reason, its the same in every club here

I guess my idea was just that it might be different in another country, i actually got the idea from playing with a very small club in ireland in the summer, i was clearly better than them and they werent as talented as players in the academy here, but the atmosphere and mentality was so much better that i could feel this small club would do well, and they are.

Thank you for your opinion anyway, maybe you can give me another perspective after reading this.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 23 Jan 2013, 21:13

I don't think geography dictates how football is perceived by professional clubs. I believe that no matter where you go in the world, you will find both serious and non serious programs. Maybe the UAE is different due to the situation over there, but I find it hard to believe that every club in the UAE has the same uninspired attitude.. If going to Ireland is what you really want, then go for it! But don't think that just because you had a good experience in Ireland in the past means that every team there is the same. There are definitely teams in Ireland that mirror your current situation in Dubai.

khalifa
New User

Post by khalifa » 24 Jan 2013, 11:17

scottS4 wrote:I don't think geography dictates how football is perceived by professional clubs. I believe that no matter where you go in the world, you will find both serious and non serious programs. Maybe the UAE is different due to the situation over there, but I find it hard to believe that every club in the UAE has the same uninspired attitude.. If going to Ireland is what you really want, then go for it! But don't think that just because you had a good experience in Ireland in the past means that every team there is the same. There are definitely teams in Ireland that mirror your current situation in Dubai.
I agree with you, but it is definitely more like that here, i guess im just looking for change really.
Its weird because i love football especially playing for my school but i dont know why the clubs here really put me off, i love football and want to play as a professional everyday, sure there are times when you can mess around, but i FEEL that it just doesnt suit me here, and youre right i could end up going to ireland only to experience the same thing

heiky0711

Post by heiky0711 » 27 Jan 2013, 11:55

Hi khalifa, firstly thank you for sharing your experience. It is quite similar to mine as I come from Malaysia where there is a lack of professional mentality and more towards favoritism. Also, after a while, the atmosphere could sometimes discourage probably yourself and mine as well.

Thankfully, had a chance to experience football in England at both college and university levels and like you said, the environment is completely different.

So, I would suggest, preferably seize the opportunity because the opportunity to learn football over there is vast even through failures. Also, based on what you've mentioned, I think you might fit in well with the football culture over there. The major obstacles from experience are the communication and the weather.

Communication
You have to gradually learn their way of addressing to one another for example, square means towards the centre of the pitch.

Weather
Second, the weather could be extremely volatile. For example, during cold freezing winter, players who are not used to it could prone to various types of injuries.

Both of these will take considerable time as part of the learning process.

Hopefully that helps and all the best with your football career :)

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com

khalifa
New User

Post by khalifa » 27 Jan 2013, 14:13

heiky0711 wrote:Hi khalifa, firstly thank you for sharing your experience. It is quite similar to mine as I come from Malaysia where there is a lack of professional mentality and more towards favoritism. Also, after a while, the atmosphere could sometimes discourage probably yourself and mine as well.

Thankfully, had a chance to experience football in England at both college and university levels and like you said, the environment is completely different.

So, I would suggest, preferably seize the opportunity because the opportunity to learn football over there is vast even through failures. Also, based on what you've mentioned, I think you might fit in well with the football culture over there. The major obstacles from experience are the communication and the weather.

Communication
You have to gradually learn their way of addressing to one another for example, square means towards the centre of the pitch.

Weather
Second, the weather could be extremely volatile. For example, during cold freezing winter, players who are not used to it could prone to various types of injuries.

Both of these will take considerable time as part of the learning process.
Thank you for your advice, i am half irish and im used to playing with english speaking players, the weather might be a little bit of a problem as the weather here is perfect most of the time for football.

I am working on it, i just need to get some trials with clubs or train with them with a hope of signing kind of thing...
Last edited by expert on 27 Jan 2013, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot to close [quote] :)