creating a football CV

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
ah7

Does anyone have any templates or a CV they could send me for football?

Would be greatly appreciated as I have people asking for them and i dont have one at the moment :(

Thanks

desire10
Veteran Member

It's similar to any other CV, just like if your handing in your resume to flip burgers at McDonald's. The only difference is that it obviously needs to be football related.

Here I'll get you started:

Name:
D.O.B:
Height:
Weight:
Contacts:
(e.g. email, telephone, secondary telephone etc...)
Education:
Teams you have played for:
Team silverware/titles/accomplishments:

Football schools/camps attended:
Personal awards/honors: (e.g. M.V.P of County League - 2010/2011)
Hobbies: (this is optional, but if you do it you could include another sport you play/played, or something active like kayaking, marathon running etc...)
Referees: (definitely put your coach, and any former coaches/academy trainers etc...
Football strengths/abilities: (good dribbler, aggression, stamina, speed, shooting etc... Make them want you, maybe add something interesting about your game as well [been recorded at running 12km a match, vertical jump height, leadership - something stand-out/impressive]
------------

Attach your CV with your game tape or whatever.
Everything you need, is already inside.

ah7

Thanks heaps! But I am only making it as i have been speaking to some agents, do I have to put my coaches phone number? Because I dont really want him getting a phone call yet

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

ah7 wrote:Thanks heaps! But I am only making it as i have been speaking to some agents, do I have to put my coaches phone number? Because I dont really want him getting a phone call yet
You can leave it off for now but the agent or even a club coach may want to talk to him. I wouldn't worry about your coach finding out about you having an agent or trying to find trials as it can be a long process. It may take a couple weeks or even months before you find something.

ah7

alright what about the cover letter? How should that be

scottS4
Veteran Member

double post, my bad. see below
Last edited by scottS4 on 12 Jul 2011, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

scottS4
Veteran Member

ah7 wrote:alright what about the cover letter? How should that be
Heres my cover letter that I recently sent to a university coach. Its pretty well written, as I got some help with it. If you want you can study it for when you write yours.

I've redacted some of the more personal information. it makes it a little confusing to read, but every time you see (redacted), it means i've taken the name of something out, for privacy reasons.

Dear Coach (redacted):

My name is Scott (redacted) and I am an 11th grade student athlete from (redacted.) I attend (redacted) High school and am in the (redacted) soccer program. I am writing to establish a line of communication with you as I prepare myself for post-secondary education and the possibility of playing and studying at (redacted)

As a Canadian student/athlete, when considering a university, (redacted school) offers everything I am looking for to better myself in all aspects. The men’s soccer programs success on a regional and national scale speaks volumes for the strength of the program, one that would provide a great opportunity to satisfy my personal desire to succeed and develop as a soccer player in a highly competitive environment. From an academic perspective, (redacted university) is recognized across North America as a strong academic institution. Although a soccer career is my number one choice, I would relish the opportunity to work towards my goal of becoming a soccer/sports journalist within (redacted's) challenging and rewarding academic environment. On top of this, (redacted university) has the city of (redacted) which offers a vibrant and exciting environment for me to study, play and live within and career opportunities beyond my academics.

Throughout my academic career I have strived to maintain a high average and despite having to balance training and games with my schoolwork, I have always been a strong academic achiever. In grade 6 I won my school’s spelling bee and represented them at the city finals, I made the honor roll consistently throughout junior high, and have continued to do well in high school. My overall average in grade 10 was 86% and for grade 11 my average was 86%, despite the courses becoming more difficult. I have never failed to recognize the importance of my studies as a compliment to my athletic success in order to create the best opportunities for myself in the future.

As an athlete, currently I am playing in U-18 tier 1 for a team called (redacted). We are an ambitious team chasing a berth in the (redacted) provincials this Fall. As of July 2011, we are in 3rd place in a league with 13 teams. I play as a starting right winger, but my versatility means I have also been utilized as a striker. I’m the kind of player who likes to keep possession and let the ball do the work. My strengths include my passing, first touch, crossing and work ethic.

This past winter, I gained experience playing men’s indoor soccer. I scored 3 goals in 6 games for the (redacted team) in my city's division 1. I also played as a call up for the (redacted team) who are the top team in our province for their age group. I scored 2 goals in 6 games for them and trained with them all winter. Playing up an age group and in men’s soccer has helped me realize my strengths and also the areas to improve my game. One of my biggest observations was the physical requirements of the game; therefore, I have worked hard this past year on my physical strength, my speed and my defending as I transition towards men’s soccer, all which have seen significant improvements.

As part of my studies at (my highschool) I am a member of the (redacted soccer program.) In the program, we train daily during one of the allotted school periods. The program is used as a means to develop players and prepare them for the collegiate level. Being in the program has allowed me the extra time to work on my soccer game, giving me the opportunity to satisfy my curiosity for learning the many different facets of the game. I take it upon myself during training to play in a defensive role to work on my defending and so I can see how attacking players operate from a different perspective. In addition to my regular training I have recently met with the program's strength and conditioning coach to develop a program for me to continue to improve my strength and power.

I believe it is my work ethic and willingness to improve that sets me apart and would love the opportunity for you to see me compete sometime. In the meantime I hope you have a great summer and I hope we can arrange a time to meet this August while I am in (coaches city)

ah7

thanks for that its really well written! I will however be sending my resume to a football agent so I would have to take all of the bits about wanting to attend the college. But thanks heaps!