getting a contract in europe

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
ah7

getting a contract in europe

Post by ah7 » 07 Jul 2011, 08:39

I hear of young 16/17 year olds in Australia that are of european background getting contracts with overseas club. Just the other day a 16 year old Greek kid got signed with AEK Athens whose from NSW! I spoke to his brother and apparently he created about a 10 minute video of himself showing highlights of games which is on youtube and he got people talking to him and then got himself an agent from Greece who connected him with clubs. This sounds like a great idea, im also 16 + greek and would love to play in europe. Do you think if i got my saturday matches recorded and then edited them and made a 10 minute highlight film it would do any good?

And what about contacting agents from countries in Europe, they have their details on the FIFA website.

Thanks

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 07 Jul 2011, 12:43

Mate. Don't narrow it down to just one path. Do loads of things. The video sounds like a sick idea, but don't just do the video. Don't put all the eggs in one basket as they say. Do the video thing, as well as going to clubs and asking to train, aswell as going on trials, as well as w/e...

If I was going to do the video I'd include clips of every time you touch the ball/do anything. Even if you mess up, as it will show them what they need to know, and if they want to trial you from that then good stuff. If you make a video of everything you do in one game, it will also improve you as you will find out what you do wrong.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 07 Jul 2011, 14:31

yeah i definitely wont put all my eggs in one basket. Ill still train with mmy club and academy but there arent many opportunities in australia so this sounds like a good one.

I will get my dad or sister to record all my games from now on to get a bunch of game play on video.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 07 Jul 2011, 17:42

yeah i agree with everything you guys said. Plus your 16 years old, you are still young, if you wanted to you could even wait another year, imagine how much of a better player you will be? you may not think so but you definitely will. But what the hell why not start now :p

Also, does anyone know how much agents cost?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 07 Jul 2011, 17:51

collin wrote:yeah i agree with everything you guys said. Plus your 16 years old, you are still young, if you wanted to you could even wait another year, imagine how much of a better player you will be? you may not think so but you definitely will. But what the hell why not start now :p

Also, does anyone know how much agents cost?
It depends on the agent. Some charge just for getting players trials, most get paid when the player does (when they sign a contract). Agent's get a percentage of the player's annual salary, at least 3% by law but most get 10% the percentage is negotiable between the agent and player.

Most players seem to have an agent from the country they wish to play in (Sweden, Norway, etc).

Be careful though especially those who may want to play college soccer in the USA. Hiring an agent makes a player ineligible for college soccer or any collegiate sport. In the eyes of the NCAA someone with an agent is considered a professional player. Soony Saad is an example, he had a great year at University of Michigan, broke the schools scoring record in the process. He left school after a semester and hired an agent. He went on trials in Germany but wasn't offered a contract. He tried going back to school but was ineligible to play soccer. He eventually signed with MLS but not every player is that fortunate.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 07 Jul 2011, 19:10

so even if you ditch the agent you are not allowed to play college soccer? or is their a time limit after you leave the agent?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 07 Jul 2011, 19:47

collin wrote:so even if you ditch the agent you are not allowed to play college soccer? or is their a time limit after you leave the agent?
Once you sign a contract with the agent to represent you often known as a "representation contract" you are considered a professional player in the eyes of the NCAA. It doesn't matter if you don't sign a contract with a pro team, once you have agreed to be represented by an agent you are not considered an amateur player.
Under NCAA Bylaw 12.3, a student-athlete (any individual who currently participates in or who may be eligible in the future to participate in intercollegiate sport) may not agree verbally or in writing to be represented by an athlete agent in the present or in the future for the purpose of marketing the student-athlete's ability or reputation. If the student-athlete enters into such an agreement, the student-athlete is ineligible for intercollegiate competition.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 08 Jul 2011, 01:35

thanks for all the replies guys I reckon ill start to get my games taped to make some videos and then contact agents in the near future

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 08 Jul 2011, 04:18

what if you rip up the contract will you go back to being an amatuer player?

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 08 Jul 2011, 04:44

lol you can never go back. It's a 1 way trip.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 08 Jul 2011, 06:48

what do you mean?

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 08 Jul 2011, 07:10

What is there to get? If you get an agent, your irreversibly considered an established player, your no longer an amateur, you can't go back.
Everything you need, is already inside.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 08 Jul 2011, 07:14

wasnt that for America? im in Australia and if i find myself an agent from a country I would like to go isnt that good as they can help and organise trials for me etc?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 08 Jul 2011, 12:12

afc was responding to a question by collin, who is ostensibly an American, inferring what she knows about the American college system. Obviously, Australia has no NCAA, but you should be aware that your colleges might have similar rules, if you wanted to play for them.

I know the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport; our NCAA) has rules that basically mirror the NCAA's. If you sign on to, say, the CFL, the AHL/OHL/NHL or a team abroad in any sport, you can't play for them.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 08 Jul 2011, 13:01

collin wrote:what if you rip up the contract will you go back to being an amatuer player?
No once you sign with an agent and they agree to represent you and market you to clubs in order for you to eventually sign a pro contract you are considered a professional player.

Lets look at the NBA. There were a few players who were in their Junior year that hired agents before the draft. They were not drafted by any team and are not allowed to play in their Senior season because they hired an agent. They can still take classes but they are not allowed to play college basketball.
wasnt that for America? im in Australia and if i find myself an agent from a country I would like to go isnt that good as they can help and organise trials for me etc?
Ah7 you should be fine in Australia if you want to sign with an agent as long as you don't think you'll want to come to America and try to play college soccer. From what I've seen most players have agents from countries they would like to play in so if you want to play in Greece then you may want to contact Greek agents. Contact more than one and compare and contrast them you don't have to sign with the first one you talk to.