Back-Up Plan?

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
desire10
Veteran Member

Back-Up Plan?

Post by desire10 » 27 Jun 2011, 08:11

I've been thinking of this for a while now.

If I don't make it as a pro (god forbid), what would I do? Is it smart/important to have something to fall back on? Or just go all out for it, and not think about 'what if it doesn't happen'.

What would be a good fall back option? I can't think of anything that won't distract my dedication to soccer (having to do university courses etc...).
Everything you need, is already inside.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 27 Jun 2011, 08:26

We can't possibly help you with that. All EF knows is you enjoy soccer. We can't assist you in a possible future without knowing your skills/intrests outside of football :P. It's reccomended you only train for around 3 hours per day, which leaves you plenty of time to do other things.

terminator

Post by terminator » 27 Jun 2011, 08:38

To be safe, just do a university degree in something.
But more importantly, if it does happen...make sure you are mentally prepared for the reality that you didn't and won't make it. Don't get into thinking 'what if I had done this or that' and don't have any regrets....

ah7

Post by ah7 » 27 Jun 2011, 11:39

fall back option could be something that still involves you with the game. Such as doing sport science or something and working with a football club?

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 27 Jun 2011, 12:33

i plan on getting my coaching license in all classes, and some day i want to start my own football club, not proffesional but for like youth kids and stuff. Or atleast become a manager of a club

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 27 Jun 2011, 12:33

Of course it is smart to be prepared, and ah7's idea is a good one. If you still love sports, there are plenty of careers you could pursue that connect to the game without you having to be a pro. Sports psychologist, personal trainer, nutrtitionist, physiotherapist, kinesisology degree? You might find all these very rewarding. Keep up your dream, but it could also be a good idea to looking into getting some education to fall back on.

Keep in mind this is not only if you dream falls through. You could become a pro and, unless you become the best of the best, end up having a moderate career at which point you retire due to age or injury with no skills. It would be nice to be able to continue a good lifestyle after your playing days.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 27 Jun 2011, 21:37

There's absolutely no reason why you can't continue your education while simultaneously remaining dedicated to an intense level of training. You'd need time management skills, but I think anyone who has ever been in high school or junior high while training daily has developed this.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 27 Jun 2011, 22:57

Most universities offer online classes or even full online degrees. That may be something to look into if you don't think you could find the time to take the traditional on campus classes. However, you'd probably be on campus for only 2-3 days per week for a couple of hours depending on how you schedule classes if you went to on campus classes.

Don't deny yourself an education because you think it will get in the way of your soccer career/training. If nothing works out in soccer at least you'll have your degree now instead of going to school years later when you are older.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Re: Back-Up Plan?

Post by scottS4 » 27 Jun 2011, 23:12

desire10 wrote:I've been thinking of this for a while now.

If I don't make it as a pro (god forbid), what would I do? Is it smart/important to have something to fall back on? Or just go all out for it, and not think about 'what if it doesn't happen'.

What would be a good fall back option? I can't think of anything that won't distract my dedication to soccer (having to do university courses etc...).
Wait until you're in your last year or 2 of school before thinking of a fall back. By then, the subjects you're taught will be more relevant and you will be able to decide what you enjoy, what you kind of enjoy, and what you can't stand.

For example, I used to think physiotherapy would be a great fall back for me, but by grade 10 I really hated biology class, so physiotherapy wouldn't suit me at all.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Jun 2011, 00:37

arsenalfc08 wrote:Most universities offer online classes or even full online degrees. That may be something to look into if you don't think you could find the time to take the traditional on campus classes. However, you'd probably be on campus for only 2-3 days per week for a couple of hours depending on how you schedule classes if you went to on campus classes.
I wouldn't recommend the distance classes. As someone who has lived in rural Newfoundland and had to take some for a short period of time, it is extremely hard to get motivated and also to equal the level of classroom instruction, even if you're dedicated. As S4L says (and she would know), anyone with decent time management skills should be able to handle education and high level football and, if not, you should develop some time management skills! EF can help! :p

All roads lead to Rome.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 28 Jun 2011, 01:21

Rome_Leader wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:Most universities offer online classes or even full online degrees. That may be something to look into if you don't think you could find the time to take the traditional on campus classes. However, you'd probably be on campus for only 2-3 days per week for a couple of hours depending on how you schedule classes if you went to on campus classes.
I wouldn't recommend the distance classes. As someone who has lived in rural Newfoundland and had to take some for a short period of time, it is extremely hard to get motivated and also to equal the level of classroom instruction, even if you're dedicated. As S4L says (and she would know), anyone with decent time management skills should be able to handle education and high level football and, if not, you should develop some time management skills! EF can help! :p
Yeah I've done some too and its not for everyone. Its very possible to take university classes and still do outside activities. I know a lot of people who went for their degree while working full time. Time management is key!

I say go for the education now while your young. I know a guy who tried to make it in hockey. He didn't play in college instead he bounced around a couple of junior teams and then in leagues right below the NHL. His mom told me the one fear he had was going to college when he's 27-28, not old by any means, but that he regrets that he didn't try to take some classes while he pursued hockey.

Another guy went to a small d3 school for hockey got his degree and ended up signing with a team in a league below the NHL. I don't know much about pro hockey so I don't know the level but he seems happy. He's also expressed an interest in teaching math so he'd have to go back to school for a teaching certificate. Either way he has options and his happy with either one which is the most important thing.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Jun 2011, 01:25

I know a bunch of guys who mirror that situation, but most of those guys are still very much on the pro bubble, getting good time and salaries with AHL teams as the 'farm' teams for the big boys in the pros. However, I do know some who took distance courses because they were forced to, and just ended up failing. They definitely have their regrets now. The ones who care enough when they are young to not go to college in their later years usually work hard and can balance it, though. In fact, the starting center of our much-praised high school team was also the best student (he only beat me by a little, pfft. :p ). You certainly can do sports and do very well in school, just requires effort.

All roads lead to Rome.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 28 Jun 2011, 04:01

I know at 15 it can be hard to believe but eventually you'll realize there is more to life than soccer. Even if you are good enough to make it as a professional doesn't mean you won't develop other interest that you'll be even more passionate about. As of now you are young, keep living life, go to college, and stay realistic. Even if realistic for you is being professional you could face a career ending injury the day you sign your contract, if you have no fall back plan what do you do?

I met a kid this year who plays for my Universities club soccer team who had a full ride to a D1 school, until he broke his leg a couple games into the season. He could have chosen to play for a low division team out of high school, but he was lucky and was already pursuing an education. All that happened to him was having to transfer to a cheaper school, if he'd of pursued professional soccer he'd be working for minimum wage now.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 28 Jun 2011, 05:30

Thank you very much everyone.

Right now, I'm in year 10, and currently picking next years senior school subjects. Today we went to a careers expo at a local campus, but not a lot caught my eye.

I've always had a little bit of interest in the defense force, but it sounds like the type of thing that would require a lot of education/courses/effort to acquire qualifications. I don't think I could balance it with football.

I had a look into physiotherapy a while back, but found it requires a VERY high final mark, and trust me I'm not capable of that.

Personal training (personal trainer/fitness instructor) might be an option though?

I've always been good at/interested in sports science.
Everything you need, is already inside.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 28 Jun 2011, 06:41

Yeah sports science looks good to me aswell :) and the final mark it requires isnt that high either.