Best option?

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
ah7

Best option?

Post by ah7 »

Ive been thinking of how im going to take my football to the next level and make it as a professional. There a quite a few options and im not sure what is best. I have one more year of school to go before I can being university and im not sure what to do.

Firstly, I could take a gap year and head off to europe and trial with a bunch of clubs in various countries. Greece would be one of them since i have a greek nationality and am able to understand and speak a bit of the language. If I was in europe for a year I would basically just travel to different countries/clubs and get trials with them, but I would try and organise this before setting off.

Secondly, I could go straight to university but in a different state such as Bond University in Queensland and play there.

Or...I could stay in SA and see what happens..
ah7

Post by ah7 »

any ideas?
ah7

Post by ah7 »

wat about a us college are the chances better there?
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 »

ah7 wrote:wat about a us college are the chances better there?
Education should be your main focus if you are going to college in the USA. It will be expensive though for an international student. Contrary to popular belief full tuition soccer scholarships are extremely rare and its very very competitive.

Soccer wise college soccer is not the best way to develop. I believe training is limited to 20 hours per week and the season is only a few months. There are usually a few games in the Spring maybe 5-10 at the most but then you're off again until the Fall.

A gap year could work if you have enough money. Try to get trials lined up before you go. Send out your resume and game tape to clubs, try to get as much figured out before you go as possible. Having a greek passport/EU passport opens up a lot of opportunities in other countries mainly those with strict requirements such as England. You may be able to latch onto a lower league club in England or another country and work your way up.
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 28 Jun 2011, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin »

im not really sure man. But i can tell you this, most people in the MLS drafted becomes pro's from scoring atleast 30 goals all 4 years in college, and that would be a average player in the MLS, the good ones score more and the bad ones score less. That's usually the case (for forwards maybe mids) As long as your playing atleast D1 and your putting up a bare minimum of 8-10 goals a season(if your a striker or mid) you will probably get drafted.
Also, if your good enough in college you can go play in a PDL team which is pretty much a semi-pro kind of thing that gives you alot more exposure, usually there is like 1 or 2 in most states. There is also the USL pro leagues which is just under the MLS.

And there are an exceptional few that play USL and make more money than the guys in MLS. There are alot of opportunities here, but there are so many pro clubs in europe there is also a ton of opportunities there to work your way up. If i was you i would do europe, not only do you have the chance of becoming a pro but going to europe and trialing for clubs is an experience you will never forget in your lifetime. Sometimes whats more important is what you get out of it man
ah7

Post by ah7 »

thanks guys, would i be able to get a greek passport if all my grandparents are greek on both sides. I reckon i can. It seems that a gap year would be best and im going to start collecting game tape and will probably have a utube channel too.

How would i arrange trials tho?
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 »

ah7 wrote:thanks guys, would i be able to get a greek passport if all my grandparents are greek on both sides. I reckon i can. It seems that a gap year would be best and im going to start collecting game tape and will probably have a utube channel too.

How would i arrange trials tho?
Yes you would be eligible for Greek citizenship/passport here is a detailed article explaining the process. http://livingingreece.gr/2007/07/09/acq ... ek-origin/

You could send out your game tape and/or highlights to clubs along with a resume through the mail. Emailing is really hit or miss a lot of times you won't get responses.

You could hire an agent but that will cost money. Maybe try to do it on your own first and if nothing works then try to go the agent route. They will have contacts with specific clubs/countries which can make it easier.