The Lucky Kids

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
desire10
Veteran Member

The Lucky Kids

Post by desire10 » 12 Jun 2011, 05:32

Just looking around on Facebook and looking at all these kids my age who play semi-pro and up. It's depressing, I'm so jealous of them. I don't envy their skill level, I think I would be technically nearly as good, just their experience and playing level, all because their family is rich (high level teams cost thousands here). Do you think that I have an equal chance of going pro as these guys? I know I'm the only one that can change that, I just mean experience wise. I mean due to lack of funds I'm still at amateur, while these kids are travelling over seas for youth national teams.
Everything you need, is already inside.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 12 Jun 2011, 16:33

I feel EXACTLY the same way as you! Ive got friends in the AIS and now ive got friends playing in the U17 Australian team that have just headed to Mexico for the world cup :( And i spoke to one before and hes like weve got a friendly against Canada tomorrow! It really frustrates me as these guys I played with and its not like they are much better than me anyway...they just knew the coaches that could get them to where they are today! and ive also got friends who are training with our local a league FIRST TEAM!

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 12 Jun 2011, 19:37

i agree with all of you guys i feel the same. Last summer i was in a camp that was broken down into teams, i ended up getting some local kid that is ranked 50th best player in the USA. We did drills and practice together, whenever we would do dribbling challenges i would always go farther/beat this kid in dribbling every time. I also had a superior touch. He was known for his 1v1 skills to. The only thing he has on me is he is quick as fu**, so it makes up for his lack of technical skills and touch compared to me. And he had a good shot. I hate those kids that are lucky, i hate when speed or strength defines someone completely as a good soccer player. If i had the kind of agility and quickness that kid did i would be twice as good as him. He's also very cocky, why is it that all the really good teen players are so cocky? To be honest on the field im really quiet actually, im very to myself and i never brag about a goal i scored or a nutmeg i made, i always just expect something better then move on and get better at the sport.

I bet we all face the same situations here. Everyone on these forums trains hard and i can guarantee you most of us here are better technically then some of the kids at are schools that are ranked like top 20. In the end we just weren't blessed with the speed, strength, acceleration to get to that level. It sucks really, but it just means we can't be the same as them technically, or 2x as good as them technically, we need to be like 3 or 4x as good technically.

Juicygriot17

Post by Juicygriot17 » 12 Jun 2011, 22:46

I can relate to this in a way. my high school is ranked 7th in the nation by ESPN Rise (for high schools), and i can assure you that those schools are alll about fitness and TACTICS. i practiced with the varsity team on thursday and found out that their ball skills are weak as hell but they are some of the fittest people i've ever met. Theyve won games where they were outshot 22-4 but they ended up state champions.

All in all, its not really about athleticism vs skill but its about being able to adjust to the speed of play. The higher levels require a lot more fitness so thats exactly why you have those lucky dudes. If you're aggressive enough during the game they're more likely to like your play as to a less physical, skillful game

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 12 Jun 2011, 23:08

i have an idea guys lets all book flights to mexico and get trials in that league! probably one of the least athletic leagues and its all about technical skills there

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 13 Jun 2011, 04:42

i have an idea guys lets all book flights to mexico and get trials in that league! probably one of the least athletic leagues and its all about technical skills there
:lol:
I bet we all face the same situations here. Everyone on these forums trains hard and i can guarantee you most of us here are better technically then some of the kids at are schools that are ranked like top 20. In the end we just weren't blessed with the speed, strength, acceleration to get to that level. It sucks really, but it just means we can't be the same as them technically, or 2x as good as them technically, we need to be like 3 or 4x as good technically.
Athleticism isn't my problem, I'm pretty confident in my acceleration, and I bet my house that I'm the most agile player in my league.

It's just that these guys I'm talking about have rich ass parents who will do anything for their soccer. Their parents drive them hours to training 3 times a week, and then again for the game(s) on the weekend. It sucks because these guys have a direct pathway to the pro leagues, while I have to find out about scholarships and such.

My complaint is similar to this thread - viewtopic.php?p=231396#231396

I'm also afraid that going pro is going to be harder for me because I play in a lower level, thus tactically I'm not going to be up to scratch with the speed of play that the pro game wields.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 13 Jun 2011, 09:52

For me its got nothing to do with athleticism or being driven to training etc. Its just the people who seem to exceed are the ones that know the coaches and have connections

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 13 Jun 2011, 10:35

yes but desire10 look at it this way, they practice 3 times a week, you practice 6x a week, they probably get in a few thousand touches a week and you getting probably like 20 thousand plus touches a week. Huge difference who do you think will come out in the end?

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 14 Jun 2011, 05:19

I know what your saying Colin, but tactically they play at a more competitive level, it's more than just skills that matter.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 14 Jun 2011, 07:48

desire10 wrote:I know what your saying Colin, but tactically they play at a more competitive level, it's more than just skills that matter.
This. And...while you/he/whoever/etc. are using personally tuned routines for yourself, they are using training packages catered to their team, developed by coaches. And while you can argue maybe the coaches' training packages aren't that great (theoretically opinionated, of course) they are working alongside other peers on specific training techniques that are made to help benefit their career paths in whatever level they are playing.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 14 Jun 2011, 15:10

yes i know that they play tactically at a better level, but i think it depends on what style of play you have, most american teams play alot of kick ball so i dont see much tactics in that. But also desire10 you are also training with your club team right, so you get your tactics in and the extra touches in, but i think you are right about the tactics it could also be who has more experience

Wadjet
New User

Post by Wadjet » 23 Jun 2011, 17:28

ok dude you guys need to wake the f up, those rich kids and your lack of funds are not even close to being the reason why you aren't where you want to be. first of all why are you so worried about those other so called rich kids? sure they may have money but they too still had to show quality in order to get selected for w/e national team you're talking about. stop putting the blame on other people and things that you cannot control. and stop lying to yourself, you're not good enough that's just it, stop trying to come up with excuses and sh*t, YOU'RE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH. as of now (but it can change but by what you wrote, it probably wont)

you see what makes the difference between a successful player and a mediocre one is how he or she handles set backs, failures, or disappointments. there are 2 ways to go about it, one can either blame others for their failure say stuff like it's because i don't have money, the other guy knows the coach, and more stuff like that or one can can honestly look at themselves and try to figure out what went wrong and how he or she can improve. you said you had good technical skills (i'm willing to bet you don't), and you did mentioned that the other kids were stronger, faster and in better shape than you. then what's preventing you from working on your speed and fitness? no matter how skilled you are if you can't run you wont make it to the next level that's it. get in the weight room, work on your body and start running laps.

honestly all of you need to stop blaming other people for your failures and take an honest look at yourself, i don't mean to be an assh**e but i'm pretty sure none of you are anywhere near as good as you say you are, and by the look of it you guys definitely do not have the mentality that you need to get to the next level. your mentality and attitude is what will dictate how far you go, not so much your skill. the good thing though is that one can change, all of those things are learned skills and behaviors that can be changed right now, so take a good look at yourself be 100% honest and really ask yourself this "am i really good enough"? if the answer is yes than go head and quit playing football cause you have no future in it.

work hard (i hate that phrase, work smartly and efficiently, is better in my opinion) quit using excuses and you ll find a way to reach your goal in no time. but as of now you all need to make some pretty big changes in your game and in yourselves. by the way if you're really serious about going pro you will have to move around. that's just part of life it's like this with every career be it being a doctor, teacher, ceo of a company, they all had to move around to achieve their goal. it's a commitment you have to be willing to make, yes times will be hard but that's part of life, if you want it to be easy then you picked the wrong career path.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 23 Jun 2011, 17:56

Nice motivator, Wadjet. I don't know if I would've used exactly the same terminology as you did, but I echo your general sentiment. Money, while being an advantage, is not the reason these kids are where you want to be, and it doesn't have to be an obstacle if you truly believe in your dream and work at it. Some of the best players in the world have come from the poorest neighbourhoods in the world, that's a fact. They succeeded because of their talent and their immense desire to develop their game and train and it afforded them a way out of their modest surroundings into superstardom. Look at them for guidance, not the select few who have bought their way into higher leagues.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!